Baby Names

Bridget/Brigitte/Bridgette?

I still don't have a name for my baby girl but this is one of the ones I'm considering, except I can't decide on a spelling. I have an ethnic name and I've always dealt with mispronunciation so misspellings were the least of my worries but this seems to be a big deal to my husband so I want to be cautious. 

Bridget - seems to be the most popular in the US but it reminds me of Bridget Jones which I don't want to name my daughter after and I feel like all I see is the word "bridge."

Brigitte - I've always liked the French spelling but I don't want people to say "like Brigitte Nielsen?" Also I feel like she might have to deal with correcting the spelling all the time.

Bridgette -  Also concerned with dealing with misspelling.

Any thoughts on the name and spellings? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bridget/Brigitte/Bridgette?

• What pronunciation are you going for? To me,

Bridget = BRIDGE-et

Brigitte = bridge-EET

Bridgette = bridge-ET

Might you consider Brigid? That's pronounced like Bridget (with a softer ending), but tones down the associations you mention.

• Great name-- I would spell it Bridget if you are concerned about spelling and pronunciation.

The other two spellings make me want to say Bridge-eat.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I love this name in all it's forms/pronunciations! I don't think you can go wrong with any, or use Brigid like pp suggested.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• bsinnobsinno member
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

Great name-- I would spell it Bridget if you are concerned about spelling and pronunciation.

this. i pretty much just agree with whatever helenahandbasket says. do they have a badge for that? 

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

Great name-- I would spell it Bridget if you are concerned about spelling and pronunciation.

This

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• You could always go with the Gaelic spelling, Brigid

Of the ones you listed, I like the "standard US" spelling of Bridget

• I am a fan of the spelling and pronunciation of Brigitte.  It sounds less harsh to me than Bridget.
    Anniversary 
  • I like Bridget or Brigid.
  • imagebsinno:
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

this. i pretty much just agree with whatever helenahandbasket says. do they have a badge for that? 

ShucksEmbarrassed

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• BBBellyBBBelly member
    imageplunderb:

What pronunciation are you going for? To me,

Bridget = BRIDGE-et

Brigitte = bridge-EET

Bridgette = bridge-ET

Might you consider Brigid? That's pronounced like Bridget (with a softer ending), but tones down the associations you mention.

I've always liked the french pronunciation and spelling of Brigitte but I assume that most people in the states would say "bridge-it" regardless of the spelling. Kind of like how there are a lot of Kristens and Kristins but I always hear it pronounced "Krist-in" anyway. I actually don't know anyone named Bridget/Brigitte/Bridgette so I don't know if they and others actually pronounce it differently.

• I prefer Bridget, lovely name!

FWIW I don't think of Brigitte Nielsen, rather of Brigitte Bardot.

Anniversary
  • For you, I'd go with Bridgette.  I know a girl with that spelling and she's lovely and it's a reasonable spelling.

In German, Brigitte is bruh-gee-tuh.  (Have you seen Sound of Music?  It's one of the children's names.)  That's where I went first, not Brigitte Bardot.

• I really like this name, and I prefer the Americanized spelling, actually: Bridget. It seems the most phonetic. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Not Brigitte!!!!
  • imagebsinno:
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

Bsinno, I pretty much do the same thing. We're her groupies, haha!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• imageJoy2611:

I don't pronounce those all the same.

Bridget = bridge-it

Brigitte = brige-eet

Bridgette = bridge-ETT

Soo... what pronunciation do you want? :-)

This. 

Dating: Jul.2003 | Married: Jul.2006
    BFP: Dec.2007 | DD: Aug.2008
    TTC #2: Dec.2011 | Done?: Aug.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"