November 2013 Moms

Annoyed with OB office?

So I have an appointment Thursday. I called to ask if I could get an ultrasound that day because I'm super concerned and stressed out because I'm not showing at all yet and I've been having some cramping. And she basically said no you have to talk to Julie (the one I'm seeing Thursday, it also annoys me every time I go I see someone different.) I just thought it was annoying because if I'm going to pay for it, I feel they should do whatever it is I want. It's extra money for them and peace of mind for me. It just kind of rubbed me wrong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Annoyed with OB office?

• imagemdharrison:
    Sorry you're annoyed, but cramping is pretty common, and you definitely shouldn't be stressed about not showing. I'm not showing yet and this is my second, I didn't show until around 16plus weeks with my first. If you're really unhappy with your practice and how they work, have you considered switching practices or looking for one that fits more with what you want?

DF could tell you I stress out over every little thing and since it took us 7 months to conceive I'm always very worried something is going to happen. I actually am switching practices soon because we're moving out of state this weekend. I wanted to make sure everything was okay before we left but I guess not. 

• Sorry it's rubbing you the wrong way. Just try to remember, if they did it for you, they'd have to do it for everybody.  Just think of how many people would jump on having an u/s in the first tri - probably multiple times.  I know I would!  Also, when looking for a new practice you might want to ask how they handle you seeing different OBs.  Some offices will have you see whoever is on duty that week - that way if you go into labor on a night/day when your OB isn't scheduled, you will at least have a relationship (or have at least seen them) with who ends up delivering.  You can, however, if you don't like that find an office that won't do that.  
    Me: 30, DH: 40 
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
    50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
    Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

• Loading the player...
  • Booo on getting the runaround.  I'd definitely interview quite a few OB's in your new location.  You've got to be comfortable with them.  You are after all putting your life and the life of your unborn child in their hands - especially on labor day!
    ~Elizabeth ~

Angel Baby # 1 : EDD 9/11/12,  Missed m/c at just over 13 weeks

Angel Baby # 2 : EDD 9/9/13, m/c at 6 weeks

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    So I have an appointment Thursday. I called to ask if I could get an ultrasound that day because I'm super concerned and stressed out because I'm not showing at all yet and I've been having some cramping. And she basically said no you have to talk to Julie (the one I'm seeing Thursday, it also annoys me every time I go I see someone different.) I just thought it was annoying because if I'm going to pay for it, I feel they should do whatever it is I want. It's extra money for them and peace of mind for me. It just kind of rubbed me wrong.

You sound like a spoiled brat. 1) Most FTMs aren't showing at 12 weeks, 2) your care sounds perfectly normal at this point (even the part about seeing a different OB at every appointment), 3) cramping is totally normal and 4) Medical care isn't about throwing money around to demand what you want from medical professionals.

Your appointment is in two days, it won't kill you to wait.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • That really sucks that they are treating you that way :(  When i was pregnant with my first i had to pick a doctor that i really liked and wanted to stick with, then when i went up to the desk to make the next appointment, i would tell them that they had to only schedule me for that one doctor.  if they are still unwilling to work with you, i think i would try to move to a different practice, one that is more intuned with their patients needs. 

Also, if you really want an ultrasound and they wont give you one at your doc office, around here where i am from they have a prenatal ultrasound place that is non-diagnostic, but they do ultrasounds mainly just for the benefit of the expectant parents enjoyment really.  They do 2D/3D/4D ultrasounds.  If you can find a place like that, then you can go and get a peace of mind that your little peanut is doing ok.  

View Full Size Image
    Andrew Brandon                    Bentley Joshua
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagestlucia_wife:
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

You sound like a spoiled brat. 1) Most FTMs aren't showing at 12 weeks, 2) your care sounds perfectly normal at this point (even the part about seeing a different OB at every appointment), 3) cramping is totally normal and 4) Medical care isn't about throwing money around to demand what you want from medical professionals.

This!

If your not happy with seeing different OB then pick a place with just one. I think it's great you see each one. That way you get to know all the doctors before birth.

also, they are not going to drop everything for you if there is no medical reason to. They need to see people with emergencies and with their appointment already set. How would you like to wait an extra 45 mins cause someone demand to be seen and bump you?

Well goodness both of you are kind of unnecessaryily rude. To the first lovely person who said "Medical care isn't about throwing money around to demand what you want from medical professionals." you have obviously never gotten slapped with an ER bill. To the second lovely lady, I asked if they could work me in, I in no way demanded I get an ultrasound. I also have trouble with that 45 minute figure since my last ultrasound took maybe 5 minutes.

• To the rest of the lovely ladies that replied, thank you for your responses. I just needed to vent. :)

• I didnt show with my son until 26 weeks! And so far with this pregnancy Im 13wks and not showing and this pregnancy is close. Had my son not even a year ago! So dont worry. As for camping its the baby growing. Thats normal like menstrual cramp feeling. And docs dont like to do unnecessary ultrasouns bc its not good for the baby to get too many during a pregnancy. I wouldnt worry
  • imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagestlucia_wife:
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

This!

If your not happy with seeing different OB then pick a place with just one. I think it's great you see each one. That way you get to know all the doctors before birth.

also, they are not going to drop everything for you if there is no medical reason to. They need to see people with emergencies and with their appointment already set. How would you like to wait an extra 45 mins cause someone demand to be seen and bump you?

Well goodness both of you are kind of unnecessaryily rude. To the first lovely person who said "Medical care isn't about throwing money around to demand what you want from medical professionals." you have obviously never gotten slapped with an ER bill. To the second lovely lady, I asked if they could work me in, I in no way demanded I get an ultrasound. I also have trouble with that 45 minute figure since my last ultrasound took maybe 5 minutes.

I agree with Debate and St. Lucia. OBs schedule clients based on what is needed. They leave room for the unexpected. However, that time should be used for the women that have an unexpected NEED for something and not for the women who WANT to have something done. Get what I saying here? Pregnancies with real complications and issues should have priorty over the wants of normal pregancy. If you want an elective, schedule it out far enough in advance.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegardennymph:
    imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagestlucia_wife:
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

This!

I agree with Debate and St. Lucia. OBs schedule clients based on what is needed. They leave room for the unexpected. However, that time should be used for the women that have an unexpected NEED for something and not for the women who WANT to have something done. Get what I saying here? Pregnancies with real complications and issues should have priorty over the wants of normal pregancy. If you want an elective, schedule it out far enough in advance.

Okay I get what you are saying but this is a rant because I'm annoyed. I don't see why you're finding it necessary to be rude. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I would've scheduled the ultrasound sooner but I wasn't cramping sooner. I'm sorry if I am scared for the sake of my baby. I'm sorry you don't consider that a possible "real" complications. That's cute.

• imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagegardennymph:
    imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagestlucia_wife:
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

This!

Okay I get what you are saying but this is a rant because I'm annoyed. I don't see why you're finding it necessary to be rude. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I would've scheduled the ultrasound sooner but I wasn't cramping sooner. I'm sorry if I am scared for the sake of my baby. I'm sorry you don't consider that a possible "real" complications. That's cute.

You're an utter TOOL if you think that either St Lucia or Garden or I haven't considered the possibility of "real" complications. Did you see my siggie? Did you see hers? We're still unfortunately in the phase of paralyzing fear that YET ANOTHER pregnancy will actually have real complications. 

Newsflash: Cramping is NORMAL. ASSuming that throwing money at your OB will get you an earlier ultrasound is not. You're behaving like a petulant toddler.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Sorry to hear your annoyed! At my clinic/hospital you see your ob the whole pregnancy and then when you go into labor you  just get whichever dr is on call that day/night. So even though you are seeing multiple OB's at least you will kind of know them when D-Day arrives (if you were still going there). But on the bright side you are moving and will have a chance to pick a different place. Best of luck with that! I hope you find someone you love!  I agree with PP that you could try to find one of those businesses that do U/S if you feel it would give you comfort. 

I understand your worry about the cramps (I have been having them too) but they are pretty normal. Do what you think is best for you and your baby and try not to stress, that just makes it worse.

Good luck!  And hope you have a happy moving weekend! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker photo Lil-gobblers_zps83205d35.jpg image image image image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am sorry you feel like we have been rude to you. Let me assure you, I haven't begun to be rude yet. St Lucia and Debate have had losses. If they for one minute thought that your cramping signified anything they would let you know. As for me, I had gestational diabetes and high blood pressure during my last pregnancy. I had multiple emergency scans because of my uterus being larger than it should be and my son being smaller than he should be. GD and HBP have very real complications. IUGR is very serious. Cramps are normal and therefore not serious. Even you said you were paying for it yourself, because it is not medically necessary. If your doctor felt it was necessary he would code it that way. If I found out I had to wait for a medically necessary scan so that the tech could do an elective scan I would flip. Also, if an OB let an elective go before a medically necessary scan and something that could have been prevented happened to that baby, you can bet that would be medical malpractice.

Even your ER analogy fits this. If you go to the ER with a headache, no amount of money is going to get you seen faster than the man having a heart attack.

Here comes the rude part. Get your head out of your azz and realize that your OB would have you rushed in if they thought that there was something wrong. An elective scan does not and should not come before the medically necessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NL105NL105 member
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

All of this! You need to chill out, OP. Also, 7 months? it can take a perfectly healthy couple an entire year to conceive.

• NL105NL105 member
    imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagegardennymph:
    imageSoonToBeRCarlin:
    imagestlucia_wife:
    imageDebateThis:

imageSoonToBeRCarlin:

This!

Get over yourself, I already I find you extremely annoying. This is a public forum- if you don't like the responses, don't post here. You can't dictate how people respond.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"