Blended Families

Way to set your priorities BM

SS(15) told my H that they had their internet or cable shut off at BM's house (fine about the cable).  SS is in high school and a lot of his homework requires the use of the internet, so now he is limited on what he can get done and as it is he already struggles with school and getting all of his assignments done.  However, BM is going on vacation for 1 week next week to Cabo.  Prior to this she has gone on several weekend trips out of state.

SS also usually looks like he is homeless with the clothes that he wears.  I had to push my H to take him to go get him new shoes.

Re: Way to set your priorities BM

• Is there a library near him that he can use for internet?   Maybe stay after school to finish those assignments?  It sucks, but it is a workable situation.
  • My sister just ran into an issue with not having internet at her house. Her DD is in HS band and their band requires playing tests done and submited online. My sister called them and expressed her concern but their rebuttal was that they had computers available before and after school. Problem is her DD has to ride the bus home. Her DD has been doing the tests at lunch but she said a lot of the kids try to do the same thing and when there are only 4 computers and someone "fails" the playing test, they try again and again sometimes until they pass it. They ended up giving her extra time to try to get the work done.

Obviously, this type of work cannot be done at a library. I think it's wrong to require work that can only be done on PC.

My sister lives in a very rural area so she was just finally able to get decent internet last month and she is very happy about it.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Loading the player...
  • SS can find ways around not having internet access at his mom's house, it is just the point that she claims she can't afford it, yet she can go on all sorts of vacations.  A few years back she emailed me crying poverty and that she had to get food from her church, yet her nails are always done and she drived a newer lexus.

• imagewendilea:
    SD2 has no internet at home, and does all of her homework at school or the library.

This. Internet is not a necessity. I have done online college courses before with no internet at home. The only internet access I have now at home is my phone, and the only reason I have a data plan on my phone is because it made my online college courses more convenient. But as I said, I have done them without it before. That may mean going to McDonalds to finish a paper at midnight in my car because they have free wifi.

We also have no TV service.

It is doable.

And sue me, but right now, I would SOOOO take a vacation over TV and Internet.
  • My SSs go to the library to use the internet. One downloaded a virus on his computer. The other dropped my laptop. The second one was using skype on my computer instead of doing his homework. Currently all house computers are locked unless DH or I are home to monitor.
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bebe11bebe11 member

imageambrvan:
    imagewendilea:
    SD2 has no internet at home, and does all of her homework at school or the library.
    This. Internet is not a necessity. I have done online college courses before with no internet at home. The only internet access I have now at home is my phone, and the only reason I have a data plan on my phone is because it made my online college courses more convenient. But as I said, I have done them without it before. That may mean going to McDonalds to finish a paper at midnight in my car because they have free wifi. We also have no TV service. It is doable. And sue me, but right now, I would SOOOO take a vacation over TV and Internet.

I guess I just feel if you can't afford to put clothes, shoes and have adequate resources for your kids, then a vacation shouldn't be a priority. But that is just my opinion. J

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"