December 2013 Moms

How to survive the all day sickness

I have been fighting morningall day sickness. I usually only get sick once if I get sick but the other day go sick several times. I can only manage to eat stuff like pasta or pancakes or mashed potatoes. I also drink boost shakes when I'm having a really bad day.
My biggest issue is by the time I get home from work at 5:15 pm all I can do is lay down. I have no energy and if i have any energy left I have to lay down to help alleviate the nausea.
My husband is slightly understanding until I ask him to do anything because I'm not doing anything around the house.
Last weekend his mom came over to help me around the house to get caught up on laundry and dishes that I had totally fallen behind on.
Is it this difficult for anyone else? Anyone have any suggestions as to how to survive the rest of the first trimester? I'm at 9 weeks today.
I just feel so useless.

Re: How to survive the all day sickness

• Brutal opinion: your husband needs to be more supportive. Exhaustion is normal. Expecting you to work all day and then also take care of all the laundry and dishes is absurd. If you're stressed out about housework it's only going to make you physically tense up, which isn't going to help you feel better in any way. If he doesn't have a book about pregnancy for dads, maybe it's  time to get him one...unless this isn't your first child, in which case he needs to get over himself like whoa.

As for the nausea specifically...are you taking B6 supplements? Have you talked to your OB about other medication you could use for nausea?

ETA: I'm not saying your husband should take over all of the housework, just that he needs to understand that you are not up to maintaining the level of industry that you used to have, and he needs to step up to the plate NOW. It's his baby, too.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Totally agree with her!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am completely in the same boat!  My husband I don't think fully grasps the concept of how miserable I feel at night.  I can usually do one load of laundry right after work, but that is all.  I do feel slightly better in the mornings, so I might put the dishes in the dishwasher then, but is is a hard enough chore getting me ready for work. My hair has been in a pony tail everyday for the last month because I have no energy to make it look beautiful.

My husband does the yard work, like he always has.  He has not stepped up on the inside house work.  Our house hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a few weeks.  It bothers me, but I can't do it at night and I usually have one bad day a weekend to.  Maybe once the 2nd tri hits by the end of this month (I am due 12/1) I will feel a little more human).  Otherwise, maybe when my husband realizes that I quit caring about putting away the washed laundry and am perfectly happy pulling it out of the dryer/clean laundry bucket he will help out.  He keeps saying that pregnancy shouldn't make it so that I can't perform my daily chores...what he doesn't know.  Once we announce it to our parents in a week and a half maybe the moms and sisters who have been through pregnancy can tell my DH that what I feel like is not out of the ordinary!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage
  • I honestly don't know how you girls w/full time jobs do it.  This is my 3rd pregnancy and I stay at home w/my kids.  I don't feel like I could function at a 9-5 job.  Morning sickness makes me completely useless.  I have a kindergartner, and it's hard enough making her lunch and getting her to school.  And my toddler?  Forget it...thank goodness he likes Mickey Mouse and is pleased as punch to be watching Disney Jr. most of the day.  I can't even feel guilty about it.  I'm sick all day.  I think I laid down most of yesterday.  Granted I did have to go grocery shopping, and that about kicked my butt.  Nope, my dh fully understands that until about 13 weeks or I'm going to feel like crap.  I get some laundry done, my kids are fed and alive, and that's about it.  I can't WAIT for this part to be over.
  • It is definitely kicking my butt.  I had one day of dry heaving, otherwise, it's just been an all day nauseous feeling.  I'm a SAHM, to a very happy and content 10 month old.  I find myself just wanting to sit around all day.  Our house is a disaster and we don't leave the house unless we have to.  My husband understands because we've been through this before, but the poor guys never gets to eat any meals because I complain about the smell.  Once he gets home from work, I go and lay down and he takes care of our son.  I'm hoping and praying that this goes away soon.  I have gotten some meds from my doctor, which helps, but the nausea is still there.  I would definitely ask your doctor for something!
  • Part of the problem is that my husband just started training for a job with the corrections dept. he leaves about 6am and gets home around 5:30/6 o'clock. He is also taking classes online just two.
    My dr gave me medicine but to be quite honest I'm scared to take any medicines during pregnancy really. I don't want the risk. So I haven't taken it.
    We want to try and sell our house because I can't put anything on the walls and we live with most of our stuff packed in storage right now. It's so stressful and frustrating.
    At work I'm only half good. I forget stuff all the time and I'm tired and feel miserable most of the time. I can't take days off because I need my vacation days for doctor appointments and for when I go on maternity leave because all we have is unpaid time off for leave.
  • LADIES: TAKE MEDICINE. Oh my gosh, it helps so much. All day sickness killed me for about a week until I finally caved and got some Zofran from my doc. I tried every single remedy I could find online from ginger tea to sea bands, and a lot of women said if you're super miserable, get the pills. It doesn't completely eliminate the nausea, but it subdues it long enough for me to get some chores done, run some errands, and go to work without feeling like I might vomit on everyone. The only thing I really miss is exercising. I don't think I'll be going to the gym until I get this entirely under control... and believe me, I need to exercise. I have not been able to eat good foods. I know they say to eat healthy stuff, but when I can eat the last thing I want is a vegetable. Hopefully by next week I'll be more functional. Hang in there, gals!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"