Health & Exercise
Options

Half Marathon First Trimester

So I signed up for my first half MONTHS ago, and for some crazy reason I decide the last 2 months of training is a great time to get pregnant.  I'm in week 7 now, and going to run the Nike Women's Half in DC this weekend.  Training has become abysmal - was running 3 times a week and up to 8 mile long runs but now am winded after just a mile, and taking minute long walk breaks at least every 10 minutes, if not every 5.  Luckily I haven't had much nausea (yet) but the fatigue and being off one of my inhalers means I have really slacked off the last few weeks.  Anyone ever been in my situation?  How embarrassing is it to have to walk a half marathon?  They want you done by 4 hours, which shouldn't be a problem even if I do no running at all, but I just feel like such a looser now!  I was really hoping for a time closer to 2:30-2:45 :(  On top of it all I just have the weird first trimester bloat, so I can't even use "looking" pregnant as an excuse!

Re: Half Marathon First Trimester

• Options

It's not embarrassing at all! I did a half in March at 31 weeks. It was definitely the slowest half I've ever done, and I walked the last few miles, but it was still a fun experience.

Don't feel like a loser, feel great for getting out there and being active! (as long as your OB has given you the go-ahead, that is!) You can always make a "baby on board" t-shirt if you want to make it obvious.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options
    You can do it! I did a half when I was 6 weeks and actually got a PR of 2:47! It was hard but do-able. Just listen to your body and drink lots and lots of water. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ras26ras26 member

BTDT.  I was 16 weeks, but still just looked pudgy to strangers.  I had been in great shape a few months prior, but then didn't really train for the race.  I think my longest training "run" was around 8 miles, and I did some sort of 4:1 run:walk scheme.  I went into the race with low expectations, walked when I needed to, drank a lot, lost 10 minutes waiting for the 1 porta potty at 6 miles, justified to anyone who would listen that I was slow because I was 16 weeks pregnant, and had fun.  :-)  Do it and enjoy the experience!!  

Now, 18 months PP I'm faster than ever, and looking for a PR next month.  Speed will come back later, so no reason to stress yourself now.   

ETA: even with all my walking and bathroom breaks, I was around 3 hours, so you won't have to worry about the 4-hour cutoff. And sorry for my poor reading comprehension...I wasn't in first tri, but your story sounded familiar, so my experience seemed relevant at the time.

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got pregnant while training for a half marathon and ran it before I knew I was pregnant.  I was definitely slower, and thirstier, and I had to take bathroom breaks (all of which clued me in that I might be pregnant), but I was able to finish.

I also trained for another half (sold out before I could run it) during my first trimester.  Again, I was slower, and had to bring water with me for even 3 mile runs, but it was definitely doable. 

What inhaler are you not taking?  And have you talked to your doctor about it?  If you have, ignore what I say, because your doctor knows much better than I do.  I was told to keep taking my inhaler while pregnant (albuterol).  Asthma medication is on the "eh" list because they can't test it on pregnant women to determine harm to the baby, but my doctor thought it was more important that the baby was getting enough oxygen and encouraged me to continue taking it.  The extra hand my son was born with really has served him well Wink

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

You can do it! 

I did a half right at the start of second tri. I was slow, but it was fun-I made a sign that said "baby on board" & my husband (who beat my time by an hour!) put a giant copy of our first ultrasound picture on a sign and ran along side the last half mile of the race holding it up and cheering. 

Last year I had surgery (appendectomy) 3 weeks before a half. I couldn't run and it was non refundable so I walked it! I felt lame when the crazy fast power walkers passed me, but other than that it was ok. There's a surprisingly large number of walkers! 

Overall with both my post-surgery and my pregnant halves I focused on "it's awesome that I am doing this at all! I am strong!" type things as much as I could. In both cases I finished really proud of myself for having done them, no regrets on not setting a PR.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind and supportive words!  I'm feeling better about it, I think it might have been a morning funk.  Either way I will have a PR as it's my first half :P.  And to answer a previous question about asthma - I've stopped my Symbicort and am just using albuterol now.  The symbicort was only ever for training anyway, since I only seem to have problems with exercise.  I might use it once just before the race - I'm a PA and have a pretty good handle on the risks of the meds.  
  • Options
    I did the RnR in DC last year at 16 weeks pregnant. I was completely exhausted in my first tri and my training plan went out the window. It wasn't until about 3 weeks before my half that I was back to regularly running. My OB was fine with the race. I carried my own water and took 2 extra types of fuel just in case. Good luck with your race!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options

imageteagan1985:
    So I signed up for my first half MONTHS ago, and for some crazy reason I decide the last 2 months of training is a great time to get pregnant.  I'm in week 7 now, and going to run the Nike Women's Half in DC this weekend.  Training has become abysmal - was running 3 times a week and up to 8 mile long runs but now am winded after just a mile, and taking minute long walk breaks at least every 10 minutes, if not every 5.  Luckily I haven't had much nausea (yet) but the fatigue and being off one of my inhalers means I have really slacked off the last few weeks.  Anyone ever been in my situation?  How embarrassing is it to have to walk a half marathon?  They want you done by 4 hours, which shouldn't be a problem even if I do no running at all, but I just feel like such a looser now!  I was really hoping for a time closer to 2:30-2:45 :(  On top of it all I just have the weird first trimester bloat, so I can't even use "looking" pregnant as an excuse!

Not embarrassing at all.  When my mom and I do half marathons, she walks and I run.  She walks faster than I can run and ALWAYS finishes before me!  If you walk, just try to stay to the side a bit so you don't get pushed around. 

• Options
    It's okay to run/walk, whatever you need to do to be healthy. And as others have said, if your doctor has given you the okay to do it. I would wear a sign on the back of my shirt that says "baby on board", cause it's just fun too. :) My husband had a custom technical shirt made for me that said "you've just been pregnant chicked". "Chicked" is a term used in the running community for a lady that passes a guy. It's funny when you see a guy try to speed up cause he doesn't want a girl to pass him. :) So the shirt was a fun way to tease other guy runners. :)
  • Options
    I did it in 2:55, with only one bathroom break that ended up being in a bush since I didn't want to wait for the port-o-johns!  :)
  • Options

imageteagan1985:
    I did it in 2:55, with only one bathroom break that ended up being in a bush since I didn't want to wait for the port-o-johns!  :)

Congratulations!

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"