May 2013 Moms

Salt

So I have been having terrible swelling. To the point where I feel like my feet might legit explode. I have been paying attention to my salt intake and haven't cut it out because that's not good either.

For the past few days I have been craving salty things. I don't get it. If I'm swelling like this, why would I be craving salt so badly? Anyone?

Re: Salt

• I think you can safely cut salt out of your diet because almost all food has sodium in it, so you are prob getting what you need in your regular diet.

Have you tried compression socks?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageShoecrazysarah:
    I think you can safely cut salt out of your diet because almost all food has sodium in it, so you are prob getting what you need in your regular diet.

Have you tried compression socks?

I have but right after they come off my feet and ankles are huge again. My bp is still perfect and only trace protein so my doctor isn't worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't cut it out.  You probably actually need more salt since you blood volume is higher and you need the minerals in it to help form baby.  Just eat normal amounts of it and stay well hydrated.  It may or may not affect your swelling.
  • imagebotanicalbliss:
    I wouldn't cut it out.  You probably actually need more salt since you blood volume is higher and you need the minerals in it to help form baby.  Just eat normal amounts of it and stay well hydrated.  It may or may not affect your swelling.

I agree...too little salt can also cause/exacerbate swelling. Make sure to drink plenty of water, too. 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • imagebotanicalbliss:
    I wouldn't cut it out. nbsp;You probably actually need more salt since you blood volume is higher and you need the minerals in it to help form baby. nbsp;Just eat normal amounts of it and stay well hydrated. nbsp;It may or may not affect your swelling.

Do you know if it is both sodium and chloride that you need , or just one?

From my understanding it is pretty rare for a lack of sodium in your blood to cause swelling and since our diets are generally high in sodium I didn't think it was necessary to add salt. But maybe I'm missing something about the chloride? Genuinely curious!
  • imageShoecrazysarah:
    imagebotanicalbliss:
    I wouldn't cut it out. nbsp;You probably actually need more salt since you blood volume is higher and you need the minerals in it to help form baby. nbsp;Just eat normal amounts of it and stay well hydrated. nbsp;It may or may not affect your swelling.
    Do you know if it is both sodium and chloride that you need , or just one? From my understanding it is pretty rare for a lack of sodium in your blood to cause swelling and since our diets are generally high in sodium I didn't think it was necessary to add salt. But maybe I'm missing something about the chloride? Genuinely curious!

Your body fluids increase in volume during pregnancy, and you need salt to help maintain the appropriate fluid levels.  Too much or too little salt can affect baby's kidney development.  Mostly it's the sodium that's mentioned in the articles I've found.

Of course, too much salt is bad, but too little can also be harmful.  I wouldn't restrict it unless your doctor tells you to.  Also, go for higher quality salts rather than just regular table salt - you'll get more trace nutrients that you might not get otherwise.

• imagebotanicalbliss:

imageShoecrazysarah:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

From my understanding it is pretty rare for a lack of sodium in your blood to cause swelling and since our diets are generally high in sodium I didn't think it was necessary to add salt. But maybe I'm missing something about the chloride? Genuinely curious!

Your body fluids increase in volume during pregnancy, and you need salt to help maintain the appropriate fluid levels.  Too much or too little salt can affect baby's kidney development.  Mostly it's the sodium that's mentioned in the articles I've found.

Of course, too much salt is bad, but too little can also be harmful.  I wouldn't restrict it unless your doctor tells you to.  Also, go for higher quality salts rather than just regular table salt - you'll get more trace nutrients that you might not get otherwise.

I was unaware of this, thx for sharing! I haven't limited salt because my bp is super low and I've had minimal swelling.
  • imagebotanicalbliss:

imageShoecrazysarah:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

Thank you ladies. This helped a lot, I wasn't aware of some of your points. Praying some of this swelling will go down.
  • imagebotanicalbliss:

imageShoecrazysarah:
    imagebotanicalbliss:

Thank you ladies. This helped a lot, I wasn't aware of some of your points. Praying some of this swelling will go down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"