October 2013 Moms

Baby Boy Madison...

So, my husband and I have no problem agreeing when it comes to girl names...but we tend to disagree on boys names - and I'm almost certain we're having a boy - so we need to get it together. :)

Anyway, one name that he DOES like for a boy is Madison. I really like the name too - but it has always been on my girl list. I don't mind giving a girl a boy's name (i.e. Dylan, Devin, etc), but I always hesitate on giving a boy a girl's name (i.e. Kelly, Madison, etc) because I worry about kids making fun of him in school.

Do you guys know of any BOYS named Madison? What do you think of the name? What could we call him as a nickname?

Thanks! 

Re: Baby Boy Madison...

• I don't know any boys named that but it is pretty.  You are right though, it has been a very popular girl's name for the past several years. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage
  • Post this on the baby names board and be swallowed by the "It IS a boys name" responses.

Originally a boys name, since it ends in "son". Means son of Matthew. Parents of girls ruined it.
  • Loading the player...
  • It wasn't until the past 5-8 years that I even heard of this for a girl. I always thought it as a boys name.  Now, I'm just confused.
    BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • it's pretty trendy (strike) and it's definitely pure girl, not androgynous at ALL (strike 2 and 3)

• and wasnt this daryl hannah's name in Splash ?  lolz

• What is the boy nickname for Madison? Maddy? Doesn't seem right to me.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    Although I'm not the biggest fan of it, I do think people now 100% associate this name with a girl.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • I know a bartender who is called Maddy now it makes me wonder if his name could be Madison... Personally I knew so many girls with this name. I was a TA so in my mind I think girl name! I picked the name Delaney for my girl but I know its a boy name too but in my head it feels girl to me!
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Thanks for all of the replies!!
  • I'm an elementary teacher and can say there are MANY girls named Madison...I do not know any boys. So to me I think girl name, I'd be hesitant.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I would never name a boy Madison. 
    photo IMAG0561-002-Copy2-Copy_zps16abfae1.jpg
  • This is absolutely a girl's name, and a super popular girl's name. I don't know any boys with this name, but several little girls.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• What about Mason instead? Sorry, but I wouldn't name my son Madison.

• karo112karo112 member
    imagedanimcbroom:

So, my husband and I have no problem agreeing when it comes to girl names...but we tend to disagree on boys names - and I'm almost certain we're having a boy - so we need to get it together. :)

Anyway, one name that he DOES like for a boy is Madison. I really like the name too - but it has always been on my girl list. I don't mind giving a girl a boy's name (i.e. Dylan, Devin, etc), but I always hesitate on giving a boy a girl's name (i.e. Kelly, Madison, etc) because I worry about kids making fun of him in school.

Do you guys know of any BOYS named Madison? What do you think of the name? What could we call him as a nickname?

Thanks! 

I work in a small independent high school. Over my past 6 years here I've worked with 4 male Madison's. I've loved every one of them. None of them had nn's...all went by Madison 

imageimage

Olivia and Matilda, 09/10/201 - Graham, 10/01/2013

• karo112karo112 member

some perspective...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_(name)

Also I have had a female with the name but it was spelled "Madisen" bc her parents knew that MadiSON meant SON of Matthew...

just fwiw.

It's ORIGINALLY a boys name. If you like it - use it. I'm using a boy's name for my girl...and have no qualms about it 

imageimage

• Sadly, it is now a girls name. And please do not spell it Mattison. That is just a made up thing.

Talk to your DH ask him what about Madison does he like and find names that have a similiar trait. For example Maddox if he likes the Ma sound or Dawson if he likes the son names.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • karo112karo112 member

imagenorbert5:
    Sadly, it is now a girls name. And please do not spell it Mattison. That is just a made up thing. Talk to your DH ask him what about Madison does he like and find names that have a similiar trait. For example Maddox if he likes the Ma sound or Dawson if he likes the son names.

I don't understand how people can just appoint themselves the name police. If it's ONLY a girls name now...how do I personally know 4 teenagers named Madison? All boys? 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"