September 2012 Moms

Puffs vs Cheerios

I've heard lots of people say that "puffs are baby junk food." Are Cheerios any better, because they are whole grain? I like the idea that they help her practice her pincer grasp, and right now she doesn't really eat anything else that little.

Would you send an entire container/box to daycare and leave it, or a little baggie every day? I don't want her eating a ton of them, but I don't expect them to portion them out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Puffs vs Cheerios

• I leave a container of puffs in my diaper bag that I send to daycare. It's an inhome DC and I told DCP that she could put a few on his tray if he was up and awake when the toddlers were eating lunch to keep him entertained/help him practice. He's not injesting a ton right now so I'm not too worried about it.

• You can also just used puffed rice cereal - anything that "melts" in your mouth - and its totally up to you.  I actually think the Happy Baby Puffs are better then some as it doesn't have straight sugar - its sweetened with fruit juice (sold at target and a few other places locally)
  • Loading the player...
  • True - I didn't think of puffed rice cereal. Definitely cheaper than puffs.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I have done both but prefer to have Cheerios because everyone in our house will eat Cheerios.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I give both.  I prefer Cheerios b/c they are cheaper.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKemare20:

I just use the puffs as practice/distraction while I get his actual food ready. He only gets maybe 6-8 of them a day.

We always eat dinner together and he usually gets done before us if I am giving him purees (if I am doing BLW he takes longer!). When that happens, I put some puffs and a wagon wheel on his tray so we can finish up and he stays busy :)

Me too! I don't mind her getting some more at daycare, and I trust them enough to know they won't allow her to eat a whole container in one day. I don't want to be a control freak here, but I'd like to have SOME idea of how many they're giving her, which is why I was thinking about just throwing a little baggie or tupperware container in her tote bag and filling it up periodically.

• hmp1hmp1 member

I never brought Cheerios or Puffs to daycare. James had two meals I would bring but no snacks. I did Cheerios more of a distraction at home in the morning/evening so I could get things done. Around 10 months (?), I started letting him eat a lot of what the daycare was serving for breakfast/lunch/snack because once he was in the toddler room (at one) he would be eating the daycare menu. They give you the menu and have you circle what you are ok with him eating. I can edit it throughout the month if I decide to start letting him try more.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Puffs are now made with whole grain. I wouldn't go so far as to call them baby junk food, lol. My kids love both Puffs & Cheerios.

The serving size is pretty large, so I wouldn't worry about them eating too many.

• imageSharkFarts:
    Now we're judging Puffs? Oh boy.

I'm not judging anything, but I have definitely seen them referred to as baby junk food. Specifically on the Food & Nutrition board just last week, and I think one other board as well. Probably the same people who believe pouches are the devil. :) 

ETA:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73501340.aspx 

• imageMomtobeNJ:

imageSharkFarts:
    Now we're judging Puffs? Oh boy.

I'm not judging anything, but I have definitely seen them referred to as baby junk food. Specifically on the Food & Nutrition board just last week, and I think one other board as well. Probably the same people who believe pouches are the devil. :) 

ETA:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73501340.aspx 

I love the comment about coloring helping fine motor skills....if I give my 7 month old crayons she will not color she will eat crayons...

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• OMG, I thought the exact same thing! LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"