November 2013 Moms

Exercise advice

I have a doctor appointment on Friday so I will absolutely ask this question, I just want to hear wwyd?

Before I got pregnant I signed up for a 10k race with my mom. I was not a great runner before but ran a couple 5ks before this. I have been extremely worried about a loss so that coupled with extreme exhaustion and morning sickness lead me to not exercising for nearly 2 months. I know, gross...I ordered a couple pregnancy workout DVDs and will start walking today!

I went on a 2 mile walk a couple days ago and I had a tiny bit of spotting. Luckily I have a Doppler and can still hear the heartbeat so it didn't worry me. I don't feel like I should do the 10k, which is this Sunday, even just walking. I don't want to push myself unnecessarily, but I'm bummed. Would you guys sit this one out or am I being overly cautious?
Me: 30 DH: 31
Married 7/2012
DS born 11/2013
Ectopic , right tube removed 8/2015
BFP 3/2016
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Exercise advice

• I would sit it out. There will be other 10ks and you'll be better prepared for them. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I personally wouldn't do it, especially after you spotted at 2miles there's no point putting your health and baby's at risk, how many weeks are you?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLouise48:
    I personally wouldn't do it, especially after you spotted at 2miles there's no point putting your health and baby's at risk, how many weeks are you?

I'm 10w4d. Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been leaning towards sitting it out, but wanted to make sure I wan't being paranoid like always. My husband is running the half so it'll still be fun cheering everyone on. Thanks!
    Married 7/2012
    DS born 11/2013
    BFP 3/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedollphnfreek10:
    It's entirely up to you.  I'm interested in what the doc will say.  I had the same feelings as you and did not exercise for about 2 months after finding out I was pregnant.  I too was worried about a loss and I think I worried myself into an out of shape body!  I think it's great that you are walking and ordered some workout DVDs, but the spotting from a 2 mile walk would make me cautious as well.  Especially going into a 6.2 mile "race".  It's totally up to what you are comfortable with and what your doc clears you to do.  But since you asked "wwyd"....I'd sit it out and cheer for mom on at the finish line. 
  • imagedollphnfreek10:
    It's entirely up to you.  I'm interested in what the doc will say.  I had the same feelings as you and did not exercise for about 2 months after finding out I was pregnant.  I too was worried about a loss and I think I worried myself into an out of shape body!  I think it's great that you are walking and ordered some workout DVDs, but the spotting from a 2 mile walk would make me cautious as well.  Especially going into a 6.2 mile "race".  It's totally up to what you are comfortable with and what your doc clears you to do.  But since you asked "wwyd"....I'd sit it out and cheer for mom on at the finish line. 
  • imagedollphnfreek10:

This.

• IMO it doesn't sound like you are conditioned for a 10k (pregnant or not) I would definitely not put that kind of demand on your body now.  Sit it out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy due date
  • Also, I actually did ask my Dr about getting back into running b/c I ran through the first couple weeks of my pregnancy, but then was too tired and nauseous to keep going.  I asked if I could start again when I felt better.  Note: I had been running 2-3 miles a day 3 days a week up to this point.  She told me that I can start working at running again if I feel like it, but absolutely not to push it and to run no more than 1/2 mile starting out and walk the rest and very gradually to work myself back up.  

So, yeah, I'm thinking your OB will be pretty opposed to a 10K out of the blue. 
    BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy due date
  • imageAaronKara:
    IMO it doesn't sound like you are conditioned for a 10k pregnant or not I would definitely not put that kind of demand on your body now. nbsp;Sit it out.nbsp;

Thanks for the response. I definitely wouldn't be running at all, if I decided to participate I would only be walking. I still think I should sit it out just to be safe. I'm going to ease myself back into walking and maybe light jogging from time to time.
    Married 7/2012
    DS born 11/2013
    BFP 3/2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think you should sit this one out.  6 miles is a long way for someone that isn't used to it, and it can definitely lead to serious dehydration.  If you had been training all this time and your doctor gave you the go-ahead, that would be one thing, but I don't think I would recommend that long of a distance to someone that hadn't done it before.  I know it's a bummer, but I wouldn't push myself.  
  • I think it just depends on your overall physcial shape - I have definately been slacking on my workouts but have done a few 5-6 mile hikes during the weekends and have felt fine. They should have water stations scattered throughout the race and if you are walking it wouldn't be a big hinderence to carry some water with you to stay hydrated so I don't think that is a big concern. If you have your heart in it and the DR gives you the go ahead I would probably do it, I've never heard of walking hurting a pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't do it personally.
  • imageAaronKara:
    IMO it doesn't sound like you are conditioned for a 10k (pregnant or not) I would definitely not put that kind of demand on your body now.  Sit it out. 

this

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"