Attachment Parenting
Options

help me solve this positive discipline style

So my son has taken to positive discipline really well. of course he's a kid and has his moments of defiance but overall i really can't whine about his behavior...until now. ha. he is three going on thirteen and mimics everything older children do. he goes to preschool and now thinks he is completely grown. lol. for example, there are some older sibs that run to their parents car after school lets out. he follows suit and ignores my requests to stop running. today at the playground he 'made friends' with some older kids who were around eight. by the playground there is a small pond if you walk up a set of stairs and follow a path where the older kids were going. naturally he wanted to follow suit. when i informed him that he couldnt leave the park he said 'but mom, i'm going with the guys' and continued walking away from me. haha.

any creative advice to get him to stop him from defying me to do things older kids are able to do is much appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: help me solve this positive discipline style

• Options

I have a couple of different thoughts, one is that with DD1 (who's 3 and a bit) I'm pretty firm on, "if you can't comply with safe behaviours then we will leave."

So essentially one of my "safe" behaviours is listening to my instructions. You won't walk in the car park like I've asked, then you will have to hold my hand. You won't stay in the boundaries at the park I have set then we will have to go home. 

DD is really good at staying close when crossing roads and when in carparks. So I was appalled the other day when she ran across a road ahead of me and wouldn't stop when I called her.

I marched her back across the road, and got down at her level and pointed out cars that were around, then I made her hold my hand as crossed the road, and made her keep holding my hand all the way down the street until we got to the car. Then we got in the car and had another talk about listening to Mum.  Then she started telling me to stop so we ended up having a little game and giggle because as soon as she'd stay stop, I'd stop in my tracks like a statue.

My go to line is always, "I need you to be safe." rather than making it about being naughty.

My other thought about the big kids and the pond, is whether it would have been an option for you to follow. The 8 yr old may not have appreciated an 3 yr old and his Mum tagging along, but the compromise could have been that I can come with you to look at the pond.

But depending on the nature of the park, I probably would have stuck with, "we are staying in this area, those boys are leaving so you'll have to say goodbye to them." which to me is no different than if they were going home.

ETA but I wouldn't be upset by him saying "no" like fredalina said, it's all about defiance.

Not sure my ideas are creative. I love the idea of lots of babysitters.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    imageKateLouise:

I have a couple of different thoughts, one is that with DD1 (who's 3 and a bit) I'm pretty firm on, "if you can't comply with safe behaviours then we will leave."

So essentially one of my "safe" behaviours is listening to my instructions. You won't walk in the car park like I've asked, then you will have to hold my hand. You won't stay in the boundaries at the park I have set then we will have to go home. 

DD is really good at staying close when crossing roads and when in carparks. So I was appalled the other day when she ran across a road ahead of me and wouldn't stop when I called her.

I marched her back across the road, and got down at her level and pointed out cars that were around, then I made her hold my hand as crossed the road, and made her keep holding my hand all the way down the street until we got to the car. Then we got in the car and had another talk about listening to Mum.  Then she started telling me to stop so we ended up having a little game and giggle because as soon as she'd stay stop, I'd stop in my tracks like a statue.

My go to line is always, "I need you to be safe." rather than making it about being naughty.

My other thought about the big kids and the pond, is whether it would have been an option for you to follow. The 8 yr old may not have appreciated an 3 yr old and his Mum tagging along, but the compromise could have been that I can come with you to look at the pond.

But depending on the nature of the park, I probably would have stuck with, "we are staying in this area, those boys are leaving so you'll have to say goodbye to them." which to me is no different than if they were going home.

ETA but I wouldn't be upset by him saying "no" like fredalina said, it's all about defiance.

Not sure my ideas are creative. I love the idea of lots of babysitters.

unfortunately a lot of times he runs off before I can even grab his hand at dismissal. I always have dd with me and usually I'm responding to what the teacher reports on him for that day. Naturally in three year old fashion he's a perfect angel at school. Lol.

we definitely use the safe discussion about cars being dangerous. His rebuttal was "but mom, I looked both ways". An answer for everything. Ha.

those were only a few examples but this is definitely an ongoing issue-the whole he sees older kids doing something he can't do or others doing behavior that i deem inappropriate and he wants to do since someone else is.i need to find words that resonate with him so he gets it. In his mind he's 6'6 like his dad. Lol. 

Eta-we use sitters. Frequently. I am team pawn my kids off when I can. Haha 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    imageKC_13:
    those were only a few examples but this is definitely an ongoing issuethe whole he sees older kids doing something he can't do. i need to find words that resonate with him so he gets it. In his mind he's 6'6 like his dad. Lol.nbsp;
    This is what I'm talking about. Ultimately, you have to wait about 365 days for the general defiance and knowing better than you about EVERYTHING to improve. It will come in waves over the next year if he's anything like Char. You can deal with specific behaviors of course. We have a rule that we always hold hands in parking lots. If she breaks the rule, I ask questions. "What do you think would happen if you run in front of a car?" "But I looked both ways." "What would happen if you didn't see a car but it came anyway?" "The driver would stop." "What if they didn't see you?" "I would get runned over and go to the hospital." "Hmmm... What happens if you hold my hand?" "I stay safe." "Right!" Sometimes I have to do a million zillion what ifs to get her to the answer, but if she answers it, she believes it, and feels in control of her body, which is her ultimate goal anyway. Specific behaviors can improve. But they will find new and fun ways to defy and feel older and more powerful.

i like the what if approach-will definitely have to try it. Thanks! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"