Working Moms
Options

Brutal first day of daycare

Today went terribly for dd. She screamed nonstop for hours, didn't eat anything, and finally crashed for 30 minutes in the swing. I am so, so sad. I honestly feel like tomorrow will be even worse somehow. My dd is only 4 months old but I already can just tell that she has a stubborn personality and that this is going to be a rough road. I hate that she needs to go through this at all. How di I get her to take the bottle? She used to but just flat out refuses now..from anyone.
imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Brutal first day of daycare

• Options
    Sorry you and your DD had a rough first day. But that's just it...the first day, which can be a hard adjustment for everybody. I think it's especially hard on us mommies who are just coming off maternity leave. Babies are very adaptable little beings and she may just surprise you!
    No real advice on the bottle. DS has never finished his bottles at daycare but he's happy and thriving still. Just too busy and curious to sit down still to have his bottles. He eats when he's hungry.
    Take it one day at a time and don't let how today went affect how you feel tomorrow when you drop DD off. I promise it gets better but just takes time for all to adjust. Good luck!
  • Options
    That sounds exactly like what DD went through, except she was 7 months when I went back to work.  She actually didn't eat for the first 3 days, which made me all stressed, but she ate more on day 4, and increased the amount each day.  No advice on the bottle - DD never did fully accept the bottle - we ended up with a straw cup instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She'll be alright - have faith in her and you!  She'll never remember these days.  Your daycare ladies have seen squalling unhappy babies before and seen them turn into lovebugs after a few days. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

She will have a few hard days and then she will get used to it.  Then hopefully she'll LOVE it like my DD loved her infant room and the caregivers there.  I bawled when we moved and had to leave them. 

As for the bottle, she will take it when she gets hungry enough.  Soon she'll know that the bottle is what she gets for most of the day and that's it. 

Oh and at age 2 DD still loves daycare and runs off to play when I drop her off. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"