August 2013 Moms
Options

Restaurant or Park Baby Shower

Hello Everyone, I am an old bumpie I had my daughter Sophia back in August 2011 and now having another daughter August 26!

Well i am debating on what to do for the baby shower. For my daughters baby shower i did it in a banquet hall but in that case my parents paid for it but due to that now that i have to pay for it we are in a pickle.

We are a big family on both sides so i was thinking of doing it in a park.But at the same time i really have everything i just need the big items so the idea of a restaurant comes to mind. I'm not a big fan of doing a restaurants for just ladies i dont know ive done all our parties co-ed so Im really insecure on what to do.

I'm from Miami so I dont know if anyone is from Miami here but if you have suggestions of places to do it that would be great! If not what would you do? Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Restaurant or Park Baby Shower

• Options
    Just a warning, this is not going to go over well.
  • Options
    Are you throwing your own baby shower?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMaritza707:
    Just a warning, this is not going to go over well.

Uh, yep.

• Options

Yes, she is. Get over and answer her question, or ignore the thread.

I would say a park, make sire you get a permit. This would be best for a large crowd and you could barbeque so its not too expensive

• Options

Why are you throwing yourself a shower? That's tacky

To answer your question, I would do outdoor.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    it depends on how much work you want to do or have time to do.  a park shower requires you to provide all the food unless you do a potluck and all of the set up and clean up.  we are having ours at a restaurant/bar but it's coed.  they provide the food, they said we can decorate, and the guys can drink.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagetanabeans:

It's the internet on an open forum, can't really tell people what to respond with...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Not from Miami but I am from FL. Are there any Yacht Clubs near by? Also try a smaller hotel - they have small meeting rooms they rent out.

If you go with a park as you know it can get pretty hot in FL, make sure you look into renting a Pavilion. We have family parties all the time with 60+ people and do that- we never had to get a permit for that. The pavilion provided shade, seating as well as a grill.

• Options

Outdoor may make the most sense financially but living in Florida I know that summers are extremely hot and I can't imagine being outdoors at a park for a few hours while very pregnant...

Could you do a BBQ at someones house, that way you can alternate between indoors and outdoors?

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    imagemagdalina.h:
    imagetanabeans:

It's the internet on an open forum, can't really tell people what to respond with...

this. And if she is throwing herself one, I won't answer her question nor ignore the thread. But thanks.  

• Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this too but.... I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape about what other people are doing.  if she wants to throw herself a shower, no matter how tacky it is, it's not affecting my life in the slightest.  but I've also never been one for drama either.
  • Options

Well she asked where to have it but did not come right out and say she is throwing it, so I answered politely. It is possible her mom or someone else is doing it and asking her where she wants to have it.

OK- Edit. I see that she said she is paying for it- ignore my above statement

• Options
    Have you thought about saving the money from throwing yourself a second shower and instead just buying those items yourself? I love the idea of a big family BBQ but am not sure that expecting people to buy you gifts for a second child is appropriate. I'm sure family will buy you things after baby is born, what did you do with the big ticket items your looking for from your first child? 2011 wasn't that long ago.
  • Options

Hey girls,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's ok.

For my daughters shower my rents paid for it cause i cant really rely on my in laws to pay it cause either way they didnt end up paying for nothing. But thats the least of the problems of it.

I still have all the big ticket items what i really need is the double stroller, car seat, high chairs, etc. Nothing big. I kept everything its all in our shed but you still need some items especially since i still have an almost 2 year old.

I had suggested my house because we had my daughters baptism and birthday party there because we have a big backyard but my husband is against it this time becasue its alot of picking up which i agree with him in that point.

I know its hot here in June July.

I dont mind throwing myself a shower because i consider it the few times that we can get both families to celebrate an occasion together. I'm trying to go small as possible but our families aint easy.

I appreciate all your opinions. 

• Options

imageelvbri:
    Have you thought about saving the money from throwing yourself a second shower and instead just buying those items yourself? I love the idea of a big family BBQ but am not sure that expecting people to buy you gifts for a second child is appropriate. I'm sure family will buy you things after baby is born, what did you do with the big ticket items your looking for from your first child? 2011 wasn't that long ago.

I agree, I think that would be a better idea.  Family and close friends will usually buy something wether or not you have a shower so I would just save my money and buy the items I needed instead of spending money on throwing yourself a shower. 

If you need big ticket items I'd look for great used condition items that you could get on Craiglist's and other sites (some items barely get used).  As far as clothes since you already have DD you probably wouldn't need to purchase much (if anything at all). 

• Options
    imagevanered15:

Hey girls,

For my daughters shower my rents paid for it cause i cant really rely on my in laws to pay it cause either way they didnt end up paying for nothing. But thats the least of the problems of it.

I still have all the big ticket items what i really need is the double stroller, car seat, high chairs, etc. Nothing big. I kept everything its all in our shed but you still need some items especially since i still have an almost 2 year old.

I had suggested my house because we had my daughters baptism and birthday party there because we have a big backyard but my husband is against it this time becasue its alot of picking up which i agree with him in that point.

I dont mind throwing myself a shower because i consider it the few times that we can get both families to celebrate an occasion together. I'm trying to go small as possible but our families aint easy.

Same here, but I'm using my money to buy those things instead of relying on someone else to buy them at a party. Why don't you use the money for those items instead of the party.

Photobucket
  • Options

I am confused why you think your 2yo will still need some of the baby items that this baby could use. My first two were less than 2 years apart and we could reuse everything, except we did have to buy a double stroller.

Anyhow, different strokes for different folks. I just can't get over the mentality that one should throw themselves a shower to get specific items that they could just buy for themselves.

If money is a concern, I would throw the party outside in a park. If you choose a restaurant, you are going to have to pay for food and drinks for all of the attendees and that can get costly, plus there can be a room rental fee, as well. If you do it outside, you can offer a few choices of grilled meat (chicken, ribs, hamburgers) and make up the rest of the food family style.

• Options
    It's really tacky and gift grabby to throw yourself a shower. I agree that it would be a good idea to save that expense to purchase the baby items you need. Maybe you can get the family together in the fall for a meet the baby party.

• Options
    imageamandarins:
    It's really tacky and gift grabby to throw yourself a shower. I agree that it would be a good idea to save that expense to purchase the baby items you need. Maybe you can get the family together in the fall for a meet the baby party.
  • Options

imageamandarins:

Not to mention it's a second child and they're really close in age...

I agree... if you want to host something, do- but don't call it a shower. Have a meet the baby party and perhaps some generous folks will bring gifts.

• Options

imageelvbri:

All of this, it's your second, I don't know that you need a second shower unless someone else insisted on throwing you one, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Just my opinion.

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• Options
    imagejjkaye:

imageamandarins:

Not to mention it's a second child and they're really close in age...

I agree... if you want to host something, do- but don't call it a shower. Have a meet the baby party and perhaps some generous folks will bring gifts.

This is what I was thinking.  If you're looking for a reason to get both families together, you can still have a BBQ under the pretense of wanting to spend time with everyone before the baby comes.  I'm sure there will be folks who want to bring gifts.  

• Options
    Hi.  My mom and sister are hosting my shower at Perricone's in Brickell.  If you are trying to save money, I would recommend a shower in the park, bbq style.  A restaurant is going to get very expensive.  If you still prefer a restaurant, how about Buca di Beppo?  The closest location is in Broward, but they have reasonably priced family-style Italian dining.  
  • Options

Here we go again...

imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options

An August baby so the shower would be when? June?  Outside in June, in Miami makes me sweat and swell just thinking about it.  I second the idea to have it somewhere people can be indoors or outdoors.

However, I would just buy the things you need and skip the shower all together.  If you still want the family get together host a sip and see after the baby gets here.

Both conceived using 7.5 mg Femara+Ovidrel+IUI

• Options
    imagevanered15:

Hey girls,

I would have it at your home but hire someone for the day to help set up/ clean up.  We did that for my 2nds baptism and it was great. I actually got to enjoy myself instead of constantly doing something and it was way cheaper than a restaurant and easier / more comfortable than a park. We got 2 of the neighborhood teens.  They did a Great job and we paid them $10 a hour.

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

• Options

imageelvbri:

THIS 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagevanered15:

Hey girls,

You shouldn't rely on your in-laws to pay for anything, because it isn't their child. It's your responsibility to pay for the things that your child needs. I am having showers, but it is my first child, and our parents wanted to throw them for us. If they weren't planning a shower for me, then I wouldn't be having one. I am 21 years old, still in college, and don't have a great paying job, yet I am still going to be the one paying for the things that my child needs. I am going into the shower thinking "I'm guessing people will get presents, because most people do, but if they don't then who cares? It will be a great time to spend with my family." You already have another child, and like you said, you have most of the big items. Suck it up, and if you want all new stuff you should pay for it yourself. If you don't care if it's new or used, then look at craigslist, garage sales, and discount/thrift stores. 

FWIW, if I ever got an invite to a shower hosted by the MTB who already had another young child, there is no way I would go. I think it's tacky to throw your own shower, but it's even more tacky when it isn't your first.  

• Options
    jennmejennme member

I live in FL too and my baby shower will be in June?we thought about the same things..park/restaraunt? etc. We decided against the park because it will be sooo hot and I want to look cute at my Baby Shower..I have someone throwing my shower but if I didn't I Would throw my own (Gasp! lol) I wanted a co-ed shower, get my whole family together for this great gift as we'll. I like some of the ladies ideas on maybe indoor/ourdoor bbq

Have fun and good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"