September 2013 Moms

How to tell MIL she's not invited...

Originally my MIL wanted to host her own shower for her side of the family because she didn't want to sit in the same room as DH's step mother. Okay, that's great that you want to throw your own we worked out a date and all seemed well and good.

MIL Facebook messages me that she has changed her mind and now she can be in the same room as step mother and here is her list of 25guests that were coming to her shower and they have been informed that my SIL (not her daughter but step mother's daughter) is the new hostess. SIL and I worked out that she could afford DH's dad 's side of the family and that was it, all of our family friends would be invited to the shower my sisters are throwing for me.

My sisters detest MIL because she said she would cohost my bridal shower and ended inviting all these guests, didn't come to help setup or stay to clean up and didn't come through when she said she would bring food, she brought 12cupcakes from the local grocery store when she came late. So when I asked if they could maybe accommodate those extra guests my sister said yes, but it's MIL's fault for canceling her shower and they don't want to pay for her tacky behavior. I can't blame any of my other hostesses because they have their own budgets within their own means and I don't want to push that.

How do I let MIL know that she and her guests no longer have a shower to attend? It's really tacky that she told her family and friends about this and is now trying to dump the costs on someone else's budget.

ETA: I needed to add why my sisters dislike MIL and that DH is deployed about to switch to bomb squad school so he has other things on his mind.

Re: How to tell MIL she's not invited...

• that is really super tacky on your MIL's part

in an effort to keep the peace, I would tell your MIL that SIL already planned and budgeted everything for the number of guests that were on her list, and that if they now want to combine showers, she can add herself as a hostess and help SIL out with the difference in the cost.

I wouldn't try to elimnate MIL and her friends from the shower (again, I try to be a peacekeeper), but she can't be such a freeloader.  

BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • I would just tell her that since the plans were already set with her doing a separate party that other plans were made that cannot be changed now. Unfortunately, they won't be able to accommodate those party guests and to keep the original plan.

• Loading the player...
  • MIL needs to pay for her additional people since it's already been budgeted for.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Who are the extra guests and have they already RSVPed?  Are they family, friends etc?  Are they people that you know?  I'm just wondering if that list could be thinned out.  If they are people that you don't know and aren't related to then just tell her she has to tell them it has been canceled.  If that were to leave you with significantly fewer people maybe it would be easier to work out. 

It's really ridiculous that she is putting this on you to figure out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejeapplegate:

Who are the extra guests and have they already RSVPed?  Are they family, friends etc?  Are they people that you know?  I'm just wondering if that list could be thinned out.  If they are people that you don't know and aren't related to then just tell her she has to tell them it has been canceled.  If that were to leave you with significantly fewer people maybe it would be easier to work out. 

It's really ridiculous that she is putting this on you to figure out. 

It's DH's mom side aunts, cousins, grandmothers, and close family friends. She didn't send out invitations but was getting addresses and so all those invited to her shower are now asking SIL when it is and where. MIL doesn't seem to have any interest in cohosting, she just said that she's sure my sisters and SIL have the money for a "few" more people if they really wanted to.

• She sounds like a really fun MIL to try and get along with. I agree with PP about telling her that the budget is already settled, but I would have DH handle it. Maybe he could encourage her to still have her shower as she had offered and hopefully none of this will blow back on you. If she doesn't want her own shower, I would still invite her, but let her know that 25 extra people cannot be accommodated. Who is coming to step-MIL and SIL's shower? Wouldn't all of his aunts and cousins be invited to that one already? 
    Dailey 10/29/2009 BFP! 7/12/2010 Welcomed our beautiful baby boy TTC#2 Since 10/2011 5/21/2012 BFP! 6/30/2012 Missed Miscarriage 1/4/2012 BFP!! Stick, baby, stick! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageravenclaw1:
    that is really super tacky on your MIL's partin an effort to keep the peace, I would tell your MIL that SIL already planned and budgeted everything for the number of guests that were on her list, and that if they now want to combine showers, she can add herself as a hostess and help SIL out with the difference in the cost. I wouldn't try to elimnate MIL and her friends from the shower again, I try to be a peacekeeper, but she can't be such a freeloader. nbsp;

This. Tell her your sister can accommodate a certain number of people. Tell her you would love f

• imageravenclaw1:
    that is really super tacky on your MIL's partin an effort to keep the peace, I would tell your MIL that SIL already planned and budgeted everything for the number of guests that were on her list, and that if they now want to combine showers, she can add herself as a hostess and help SIL out with the difference in the cost. I wouldn't try to elimnate MIL and her friends from the shower again, I try to be a peacekeeper, but she can't be such a freeloader. nbsp;

This. Tell her your sister can accommodate a certain number of people. Tell her you would love for her to be there and give her your sisters info so she can help financially.

Not inviting her would just start too much drama and its not worth it over something like this.

• imageravenclaw1:

This. Tell her your sister can accommodate a certain number of people. Tell her you would love for her to be there and give her your sisters info so she can help financially.

Not inviting her would just start too much drama and its not worth it over something like this.

• Holy smokes sorry for the multiple post I'm mobile and obviously my phone is on a crack pipe

• imagedaileym:
    She sounds like a really fun MIL to try and get along with. I agree with PP about telling her that the budget is already settled, but I would have DH handle it. Maybe he could encourage her to still have her shower as she had offered and hopefully none of this will blow back on you. If she doesn't want her own shower, I would still invite her, but let her know that 25 extra people cannot be accommodated. Who is coming to step-MIL and SIL's shower? Wouldn't all of his aunts and cousins be invited to that one already? 

SIL's shower is DH's dad's side so those aunts, cousins, grandmothers, family friends, church friends so it's about 50women. The only person that is overlapping are is my mother who is taking pictures for DH who wanted to see what the shower looked like since he's deployed and she's helping transport gifts and driving me.

• 25 extra guests is a lot of people to expect your sisters or SIL to accommodate. It's crazy that she basically invited herself and 25 other people to a party that she is not hostessing.Even if they were split between the parties that would still be a lot of extra guests.  I think your H needs to step in and deal with this.  It's his mother causing the problem.  
  • imageIrishPiratess:

I would just tell her that since the plans were already set with her doing a separate party that other plans were made that cannot be changed now. Unfortunately, they won't be able to accommodate those party guests and to keep the original plan.

This.  I would also let MIL straighten this out with the people she invited and give SIL a head's up in case the guests start approaching her ddirectly. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageandjess11:
    image1026pumpkin:
    imageIrishPiratess:

I would just tell her that since the plans were already set with her doing a separate party that other plans were made that cannot be changed now. Unfortunately, they won't be able to accommodate those party guests and to keep the original plan.

This.  I would also let MIL straighten this out with the people she invited and give SIL a head's up in case the guests start approaching her ddirectly. 

I agree. Just tell her the truth, that your other shower can not accommodate her guests since they already have a plan. 25 people is not a "few." I would just say that if she wants to have a shower with her side of the family, then she can host it. This is her mess to clean up and it's too late to change plans.

All of this. And because I feel feisty, I will add to stick your tongue out at her. She is a big brat.
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    MIL needs to pay for her additional people since it's already been budgeted for.

THIS. there is no way she should dump 26 extra people on a poor host. that is an insane amount to just "expect" someone to cover for

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • imageravenclaw1:

that is really super tacky on your MIL's part

in an effort to keep the peace, I would tell your MIL that SIL already planned and budgeted everything for the number of guests that were on her list, and that if they now want to combine showers, she can add herself as a hostess and help SIL out with the difference in the cost.

I wouldn't try to elimnate MIL and her friends from the shower (again, I try to be a peacekeeper), but she can't be such a freeloader.  

This and exactly this. And make no exceptions. She made a plan, it was, set, and she conveniently changed her mind to avoid the extra cost and dump the responsibility on someone else? I wouldn't let that garbage slide.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"