June 2013 Moms

NIP local controversy

https://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Mother-asked-to-leave-restaurant-for-breastfeeding-baby-205293711.html The description in the link says it all. I know it's not uncommon but it still frustrates me. I also feel bad for one person (the manager in this case) making a stupid call and breaking the law (it's illegal in Indiana to ask a nursing mother to leave an area she's legally allowed to be) and tarnishing this restaurant's reputation (it's new and one we were going to try). One of my LLL friends invited me to join in a "nurse in" at the offending restaurant. I'm not available, but has anyone attended one before?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NIP local controversy

• I think the idea of a "nurse in" is kind of stupid.  I think most people have common sense and cover up when breastfeeding.  It may be natural, but even though I breastfeed, I don't expect others to have to see my breasts.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    MC #1- Jamie George 6/7/08, MC #2- Christian Aaron 1/15/09

BFP! 3/25/09 BETA 1 (4/7/09) -# 9659 BETA 2 (4/10/09) - # 19171 Born 12/6/09 - Our precious girl.

MC #3- Ashley Grace 2/15/11, MC #4- Amelia Noel 12/30/11
    MC #5- Antonio 9/8/12

BFP! 10/6/12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageESD_0707:
    I think the idea of a "nurse in" is kind of stupid.  I think most people have common sense and cover up when breastfeeding.  It may be natural, but even though I breastfeed, I don't expect others to have to see my breasts.  

Oh boy.  This again.  Listen, it's not "common sense" to put a blanket over your kid while they're eating.  You are welcome to cover up, but the point is that no one has to.  

OP, I don't think I'd ever participate in a nurse-in, just because I'm not the activist type, but I think it's terrible that there are so many still so ignorant about the rights of nursing moms (like that manager).  

photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never NIP as a FTM but you better believe if I cover up, it's for MY comfort until I gain confidence and no one elses.

I'm just wondering if people eat lunch there? Or just sit there and nurse? I'm just wondering because giving them business seems counter productive. Although the restaurant has since said they support breastfeeding moms, could be a good test to see how supportive they are.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageESD_0707:
    I think the idea of a "nurse in" is kind of stupid.  I think most people have common sense and cover up when breastfeeding.  It may be natural, but even though I breastfeed, I don't expect others to have to see my breasts.  

Indifferent 

While I don't think I would participate in something like that, I don't think it has anything to do with common sense. Personally, I'm a FTM so I don't have any experience, but if my baby is hungry and I have no other option then baby comes first and I'll do what I have to. That is common sense. Not worrying about pleasing others.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageESD_0707:
    I think the idea of a "nurse in" is kind of stupid. nbsp;I think most people have common sense and cover up when breastfeeding. nbsp;It may be natural, but even though I breastfeed, I don't expect others to have to see my breasts. nbsp;

I don't eat under a blanket so why should my child eat under a blanket?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemolm:
    imageESD_0707:
    I think the idea of a "nurse in" is kind of stupid. nbsp;I think most people have common sense and cover up when breastfeeding. nbsp;It may be natural, but even though I breastfeed, I don't expect others to have to see my breasts. nbsp;

Or in a bathroom. Honestly, would you want to eat under a blanket or in a bathroom?

OP, I have no idea whether I would attend or not. I do believe that a woman and child have every right to BF whenever necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmithm24:
    imageemolm:
    imageESD_0707:

Or in a bathroom. Honestly, would you want to eat under a blanket or in a bathroom?

OP, I have no idea whether I would attend or not. I do believe that a woman and child have every right to BF whenever necessary.

Well, sometimes I have to eat in the bathroom but that's bc I'm pregnant and have a toddler. Gotta stay on schedule...
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageIrishCoffee7:
    I'm not even going to respond to the idiocy of someone who's never nursed before pointing out how easy and "common sense" it is to cover up.nbsp; I've participated in that h!tshow more times than I can count.nbsp; But it's idiotic.
    I can never decide how I feel about nurseins.nbsp; I fully support the idea for those who want to participate to raise awareness.nbsp; I'm just not sure I'm enough of a "lactivist" to participate in one myself.nbsp; I just keep nursing in public and I would be damn confident defending myself if I were ever asked to leave or cover up.nbsp;
    ETA and I see that the poster has a three year old...which just makes it that much more shameful if that kid was actually nursed.nbsp; Even if it's easy to cover up one kid, doesn't mean they all cooperate that way.nbsp; Not to mention growthefvckup it's just a boob.
    nbsp;

Yes I don't think I would participate in a nurse in, but I NIP every time I go out. It's not a statement, it's just what happens with nursing babies.
    However, you better believe I would make a big deal if someone dared to say something to me. I guess that's my contribution to the cause. ;]
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • LuthyLuthy member
    This makes me sad that I STILL haven't made it to one of our local LLL meetings. It's like every Tuesday all hell breaks loose here. 

• I think the restaurant's statement is crappy ("we never asked her to leave" then the part about being discreet) so heck yeah I'd attend a Nurse In there.  People can't break the law and expect to get away with it.  So saying you're technically allowed to BF but we're going to make you feel like crap about it is breaking the law IMO.
  • I think nurse ins are stupid.

I think saying its common sense to cover up while breast feeding is stupid.

I think the restaurant manager is stupid. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only nursed from the breast for 1 month before switching to pumping exclusively but I can say that my son never enjoyed nursing under a hooter hider. I think it gets hot under there and who wants to be covered up like that? I'm sure some kids don't mind but I think that the majority do care. I was in an airplane about a year ago and I saw a mom nursing with a coverup and the baby, who was probably about 7 months old, kept on crying and trying to get the cover off of him. I felt bad for him and I felt bad for the mom as she probably felt she needed to cover up since so many people have this stupid opinion that its gross and unnatural to nurse in public.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"