September 2013 Moms
Options

Food/ recipe suggestions with high protein

I lost 3 lbs at the beginning and at 16 weeks was back up to my prepregnancy weight. I am now 19 weeks and have gained 6 lbs. Nurse told me to eat ice cream at my last appointment 3 weeks ago when I had only gained 3 lbs. Dr. Didn't seem to agree So I am up 3 lbs in 3 weeks. I'm thinking I'm on track but am curious if anyone has some recipes they would like to suggest with high protein as I'm having trouble with meat and just thinking if things to eat in general. Tia!
Lilypie - Personal pictureBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimagePregnancy Ticker
August '15 January Siggy Challenge "Favorite Mean Girl" 
Marianne Bryant - Easy A

Re: Food/ recipe suggestions with high protein

• Options
    imageDarbie914:
    Do you like Greek yogurt? nbsp;It has a TON of protein and is pretty healthy for you. nbsp;You could make omelets with veggies and cheese.

Yes!!!! I make my blueberry mango smoothies with Greek yogurt and am currently eating chip dip made with Greek yogurt and onion soup mix. Yumm!
    Marianne Bryant - Easy A
  • Options
    I second the Greek Yogurt.  I try and eat two individual packages of it a day.  I also snack on granola.  Bear Naked makes a granola that is high in protein.  I can find it in the organic aisle of my grocery.  Between the granola and 2 greek yogurts, I can get over 50 g of protein a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I love this quinoa recipe:

1.5 cups quinoa 
    3c Chicken broth
    1 tsp dried basil
    2 oz cream cheese
    1 Zucchini 
    1 Yellow Squash 
    1 Breast Chicken
    1/4 c grated parmesan

How to:
    1. Cook the Quinoa in the chicken broth
    2. Sautee the chicken (in small chunks) in a little EVOO
    3. Quarter and thinly slice zucchini and squash, lightly steam
    4. Combine it all and sprinkle parmesan on top

Super yummy and between the quinoa, squash and chicken, you've got some delicious protein. Here are some facts on quinoa:

https://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/qt/Quinoa-Nutrition-Facts.htm

• Options
    I'm not a medial professional but your gain so far sounds right on track and healthy to me. I never lost weight in the beginning and at 17 weeks I was up 7lbs. Between appointments I gained. 3 lbs. My midwife didn't even mention it this time. Honestly we only end up discussing weight gain in depth when I ask questions. I'm trying to be proactive because I gained 60 lbs with my first dd. just as a comparison I gained 8 lbs with her over the same period. I feel so much better this pregnancy from a healthy diet and more active lifestyle.

That being said, how about homemade fried rice as a recipe? Use lots of veggies of your choice like carrots, bell peppers, onion and zucchini. Use low sodium soy sauce. Add your choice of protein we often use tofu if you like that but chicken, pork or beef would work too. Very flavorful, healthy and not just straight "meat" if you're having aversions.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Marianne Bryant - Easy A
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"