Cloth Diapering

If you have a rashy baby, I need your advice

DS is a rashy baby in general. He's got eczema in several areas, his face breaks out in a red rash all the time, and his belly and legs in the diaper area are constantly looking irritated and rashy (hardly ever his butt, go figure!). The only thing that helps with the diaper area is Boudreaux's Butt Paste slathered on with every change. I can't use that with cloth, and I certainly can't use it on him every day for the rest of his diapered life. Any suggestions? CJ's worked for DD, but doesn't seem to protect him enough.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you have a rashy baby, I need your advice

• I've seen a bunch of recs for grandma El's...I hear it's much thicker than cj's, so it might work better.
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if it would help to clear up a rash - but, we use coconut oil as an every day cream.  Maybe once it clears up that could be  good preventative?  Work for us and my DS has sensitive skin like his Dad!
    5 failed clomid/femara cycles led to injects and IUI = BFP December 2011! Enjoying life with Owen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLane05:
    I don't know if it would help to clear up a rash - but, we use coconut oil as an every day cream.  Maybe once it clears up that could be  good preventative?  Work for us and my DS has sensitive skin like his Dad!

I second this.

We use olive oil as a preventative. LO started out really rashy but has since gotten better. We also use the Grovia Magic Stick, which is safe for CDs and light but seems to take care of any rashes that pop up.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Any chance the rash could be coming from an allergy? Dietary or the actual diapers. My little one gets rashy from: too much dairy, whole grains, and tomatoes, also fleece and polyester cloth diapers, and several cleaners. I thought i might need to throw out some diapers after i tried to strip them with bac-out, despite rinsing and washing with our regular clothes at least ten times. the cleaners and diaper type are more obvious because it's just where the diaper covers. for her the food related rashes tend to show up on her cheeks, tummy, and upper legs. Also she'll get an eczema rash if my husband runs her bath (it's too hot) or if she has too many clothes on. When her rashes look painful to me, i put on cream (we use triple paste most often) with a bamboo liner and, at least for us, the cream doesn't go through and i haven't had any problems with the diapers. But, we don't cloth diaper overnight anymore so that makes it much easier to use creams and tell if it's diaper related (not that i recommend not using cloth at night)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DD had a rash for a long time that I swore was yeast.  After a month of nystatin and lotrimin it still wasnt gone so I just stopped treating it.  I started back in cloth and used california baby diaper cream at every.single.change.  I also sprinkled baby powder over it to make sure it stuck for a little bit (i know, baby powder is controversial) It cleared up within 3-4 days.  She stays rash free for a few months and then all of a sudden will break out again and I just have to do this allllll over again.  Most recently was a patch of excema maybe on her hip/upper leg where the diapers snap.  It finally started getting better after I started putting coconut oil on at EVERY.SINGLE.CHANGE.  Every  one.  Its still not 100% gone and if i skip putting the oil on for a few changes it gets all red again. 

• We used Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom cream.  It's expensive for a tiny jar but goes on chapstick thin so it lasts a long time.  https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-2-Ounce/dp/B0021HR94K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367380436&sr=8-1&keywords=angel+baby+bottom+balm

Also, DD was so rashy, sometimes on her tummy and back and even some of the "sensitive" baby washes bothered her skin.  We've had good luck with Aveeno and putting vaseline on those (non diaper) areas at bed time.  GL!  

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"