Cloth Diapering

NCDR: worried about Tiny

My ticker is wrong he is 14 months now. He started walking a couple weeks after his 1st birthday. I wasnt terribly worried about him not walking. But now that he is walkin I'm concerned his legs really now out. He walks on the sides of his feet, my mom pointed out that he is really bow legged.

He also doesn't talk. He grunts, makes raspberry sounds and bites. He'll babble "mamamamamama or dadadada" but he won't say milk or more or ball or owl or brother. All of his favorite things.

Is this normal? I hate comparing him to Buddy because i think Buddy might be the exception. I mean he tells me when tiny is being disobedient, he knows his shapes, colors, left and right. At his 3 yr appt they said he speaks at a 5 yr level for a boy.

Tiny is also painfully shy. He cries when anyone he doesn't know touches him. I'm just kind of worried he's behind. I read to him a ton, way more than I ever read to Buddy. We don't talk for him at all.

Would you set up an earlier appt or just wait till his 15mo appt?

::paranoid::
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NCDR: worried about Tiny

• Have you looked into Early Intervention? You can self refer if you're concerned and don't need a doctor. My son was in EI physical therapy for a year to help with gross motor delays and it was a god send. Even if he doesn't qualify for services (which are free, by the way) they will give you tips and advice on how to challenge him and develop some of the skills you are concerned about. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I'm worry about my LO too,he is 16 months now and he doesn't said to much worlds yet just a few,but most of the time he babbles and screams a lot,I know he understand and he tries,but i'm sure my LO is going to have speak delay,because at home my DH and I speak english, my dh talks to him in japanes,and my I speak to him on english,and i try to speak on japanes too I read to him and sing on japanes,also he hear me talking on spanish when i'm on the phone talking to my sister, plust every time we see my dh family,their are always talking on japanes so he listen to many language so i'm worry that he is going to be very late at speaking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not really hearing anyone say I'm over reacting. DH thinks I'm crazy to even be concerned. I swear he "hears" tiny say things and I'm like "your so full of crap" he told me that tiny said tickle. Yeah right.

I'm just worried in my gut I think something is amiss with his speech
  • One of our Pedis "rules" is that mom intuition is always right. I would not get all worked up but I would probably call the nurse, explain my concerns and ask for their recommendation. They may give specifics to work on or look for or they may have you come on in for an evaluation. Either way you have a direction to go.
  • My son is 15.5 months. He kind of says daddy, and he repeats mamamamama, but I am not convinced it refers to me. No other words. My older son was the same way. My pediatrician saw him yesterday and was not concerned at all. She said as long as he is making sounds and seems to understand things, he is fine. My older son only had about ten words at 18 months, increased slowly until about 26 months, and then exploded with his language. I am not worried about my younger son yet because I am assuming he will take a similar path. In some of the research I did, I read that if they have good receptive language (understanding) but poor expressive language (talking) at this age, they are very likely to catch up quickly. Though my younger son doesnt talk, if i say Get your shoes, he runs to door and picks up a shoe. If i say Let's go downstairs, he runs to the basement door. I know he understands what i say at least some of the time, which is why i am not concerned at this time. That is not to say that you shouldn't be concerned, but from my experience and what I have read, it sounds like he is probably very normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageChickypoo2468:

imageMrsPteranodon:
    I'm not really hearing anyone say I'm over reacting. DH thinks I'm crazy to even be concerned. I swear he "hears" tiny say things and I'm like "your so full of crap" he told me that tiny said tickle. Yeah right.

I'm just worried in my gut I think something is amiss with his speech

I don't think you're overreacting, but that doesn't mean I think you should worry. It's good that you're aware and proactive. How long til his appt?

End of may. So about 4 weeks. I know that it's such a leaps and bounds stage but at the same time I work with him everyday with his speech and he hasn't made any real progress. I think the part that freaks me out is that instead of speaking he just grunts, points and makes bubble sounds.
  • Lovebeingmama:

Thank you that is really helpful. He is very good with directions, well as good as a 14 month old I guess. He's just been a little slower in a lot of areas. Nothing wrong with that. But I just worry about him. I don't want him to fall through te cracks cause he's a second kid. Kwim?
  • The talking part actually sounds pretty normal to me. DD is maybe a week or two older than Tiny and she communicates, but doesn't really talk. She says 5 words consistently but 2 of them are new in the last week. And none of them are 'mama' or 'dada' or any of her favorite things. Another thing to consider is that Tiny sounds like he has a pretty advanced older sibling. So he may be self-conscious about talking as he's not able to do it as well as Buddy. Or perhaps Buddy is communicating for him in more subtle ways?

The bow-leggedness would be more of a concern, especially if other people are noticing it. I'd probably put in a call to the pedi to see if they want you to come in before his 15-month appt. I have no idea if walking on the sides of the feet is normal...but my cousin walked on his tiptoes for like a year and a half before figuring out how to walk normally. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsPteranodon:
    I'm not really hearing anyone say I'm over reacting. DH thinks I'm crazy to even be concerned. I swear he "hears" tiny say things and I'm like "your so full of crap" he told me that tiny said tickle. Yeah right. I'm just worried in my gut I think something is amiss with his speech

Personally, I rarely think a mother is overreacting when it comes to their child. You are reacting appropriate to your concern level. If I told you not to worry, you still would - it's your job! Will he survive another month? Of course!! But there is nothing wrong with using the resources available to ease your mind. You're just being a good mom.  

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• My DS is 24 months and has no.words. Back at his 15 month the ped kind of.brushed it off and because i was in.the hospital.and all that with the twins, we missed the 18month appt. At his 2 year appt, it seemed like he has fluid in his ears, so the problem.may be his hearing. OR NOT. At this.point it.is.a 2month wait.to.get to.the ear dr. I.am.really.really.mad.at myself.for.not pushing the issue when i.first suspected it. Aaannnyyway----that is a long drawn out.way of.saying that it could.not hurt to address it now
  • sarenu1sarenu1 member
    I would be more concerned about the bow legged walking.

My daughter didn't start using words until a few weeks ago. She did know dada and cat before that.

Does he understand you? My daughter started recognizing what we were talking about just before she started to say some words. They're still not complete words at this point, but we can understand them.

Also, try emphasizing the last part of words. It's the hardest part. My sister in law does this to help her daughter who was born with a cleft pallet.
  • Something to consider: if you call for an appointment for a problem, your visit will probably only be scheduled for 10-15 minutes. Well-child visits are scheduled for longer and usually include developmental screening.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"