August 2013 Moms

NBR: I suck at being a female..

This afternoon I had some free time and though "Hey, why not try and actually do something with your hair!". 30 minutes later of fighting to get my hair to curl and nothing. I've never been a girly girl in the least bit and now that i'm trying to put some effort into it I just want to give up. I never wear makeup, but would like to be able to apply it well. Anytime I try I feel like a clown. I try straightening my hair and it frizzes like crazy. Might as well face that i'm just meant to be a tomboy, or not have long hair. So much for trying to make myself feel pretty....

ETA: Today's fail was caused by me using a heat protect spray prior to curling. I figured it was just that, nope! It's for helping straighten your hair. Maybe that's why they wouldn't curl 

imageimage
Anniversary

Re: NBR: I suck at being a female..

• Not a failure...just takes some practice.  If I go a while with no or little make up, I feel like a clown when I put full makeup on.  It just takes getting used to seeing yourself that way. 

As for frizz....sorry I'm no help.  I have dreadfully straight and heavy hair that won't hold curl for anything!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't wear make up unless I am doing a photoshoot and even then I try to get someone else to do it for me. I don't like to straighten my hair because I have super curly hair and it takes an hour for the length that it is at right now.
    imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • all I do is wash and go! I have no patience to do my hair.

I totally fail as a girl when it comes to shopping too. I hate it!! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Awww, boo!!

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I love all things girlie (hair, makeup, nails, shoes, etc).

For frizz I've had to try out several different types of anti-frizz products and I also found that the type of flat iron your using dramatically makes a difference.  I used to have a cheapie flat iron I had bought at Target or something and my hair was always frizzy and not really super straight.  I invested in a Chi and haven't had that problem since.

Regarding make-up - you can check out stores like Ulta, Sephora, and MAC. The artists there should be able to help you with what to apply and how.  I recently got a whole new line of make-up and the lady at Ulta was great about putting it all on me, what tools to use, etc. Even hubs noticed a difference in the quality of the product and how it's applied.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• imageV&G101808:

Regarding make-up - you can check out stores like Ulta, Sephora, and MAC. The artists there should be able to help you with what to apply and how.  I recently got a whole new line of make-up and the lady at Ulta was great about putting it all on me, what tools to use, etc. Even hubs noticed a difference in the quality of the product and how it's applied.

Maybe i'll check in at one of those. I've always been terrified of those ladies though. Seen too many bad makeup jobs walk away from them I guess.  

imageimage
    Anniversary

• imageV&G101808:

Awww, boo!!

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I love all things girlie (hair, makeup, nails, shoes, etc).

For frizz I've had to try out several different types of anti-frizz products and I also found that the type of flat iron your using dramatically makes a difference.  I used to have a cheapie flat iron I had bought at Target or something and my hair was always frizzy and not really super straight.  I invested in a Chi and haven't had that problem since.

Agreed, 110%. I was starting to think I was the girliest person on the board! Haha! ;)

I also combat frizz on the daily (Kansas humidity SUCKS), and I've had little to no problems since switching to my KOR flat iron. It will also help if you have a lot of hair (thickness and/or length wise) to iron it in sections. The only way I get good girls is if I sleep in rollers (super sexy). But, I also love Paul Mitchell product, especially their straightening serum. It's really helped keep my hair more manageable. 

Try going to Dillards. Most of those makeup kiosks will do your makeup for free and tell you how to use everything! (Basically everything V&G said!)

I have noticed I have much less patience applying makeup now days, but since I don't leave the house without it, I have to suck it up. Better luck next time! 

• I've given up for the time being. My ombr hair and long layers definitely need to be touched up, but I would rather buy baby stuff than spend it at the hair stylist. I also stopped putting on makeup since I work from home and don't see anybody anyway.

When I do curl my hair, I spray it with a heat protectant first and use a wand instead of a curling iron. They are much hotter, so you really only need to have it wrapped around the wand for a short amount of time. I then quickly set it with hairspray. Or if I want it to stay a really long time, I spray with hairspray first, brush it smooth, quick curl with the wand, then done. You just don't want to leave it for too long or you'll burn your hair off, like that girl on YouTube. Good luck!

Btw, Pinterest and YouTube have good tutorials for makeup.
  • imageMaritza707:
    You just don't want to leave it for too long or you'll burn your hair off, like that girl on YouTube. Good luck! Btw, Pinterest and YouTube have good tutorials for makeup.

I have the wand too and love how it works better then the clamp. Maybe another factor today was I had seen that video and am slightly terrified it'll happen to me, ha.  

imageimage
    Anniversary

• I'm actually the exact opposite and I am super girlie! I wear make up everyday. I think it takes patience to learn.

Don't be so hard on yourself!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebreezalina82:

imageMaritza707:
    You just don't want to leave it for too long or you'll burn your hair off, like that girl on YouTube. Good luck!

Btw, Pinterest and YouTube have good tutorials for makeup.

I have the wand too and love how it works better then the clamp. Maybe another factor today was I had seen that video and am slightly terrified it'll happen to me, ha.  

She definitely had it on for way too long and probably way too hot, lol! I mean, really, how do you not smell or hear your hair burning?!??
  • imageV&G101808:

Awww, boo!!

I am right there with you. I love all things girly. I do my hair and makeup for work everyday and on weekends when we go out. I always have my nails and toes done. With that said, I am not super creative when it comes to my hair and makeup.  My hair is either down and straight or in a pony tail and my makeup is mostly cheap stuff.

Like PP have said, investing in a good anti-frizz and hair straightener can change your world. I hate to admit that my hair straightener was $200, but it is amazing. I have naturally curly hair and it straightens it in 10 minutes. MAC makeup will do your makeup for $50, but the great part is that the $50 all goes towards their products.  So basically, they show you how to do it and you purchase the items they used. 

• Practice makes perfect! I was feeling like I needed a quick summer do and came across a low fish bone braid worn to the side on Pinterest. It took 2 tries but only takes 10 minutes. I've been getting lots of compliments!

• I, too, suck at being female.

I wear make up once in a great, long while. Unfortunately, my bathroom is painted this horrid shade of yellow, so trying to blend nicely is impossible. No other room in the house gets good light, either. So I have to go out to my car to do it, if I do it at all at that point.

Can't remember the last time I painted my nails...

Shave my legs every quarter or so... (in my defense, I live in Seattle, we all look like yetti's here)

Blow drying my hair is a chore...

DH and I compete with our farting and belching...

I got in fights with the boys on the playground in grade school...

Its how I was raised, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

• Understand.  I'm getting better, but it has taken me a while.  I have been having issues with my hair this pg and I ended buying the instyler and it worked out really well.  Surprised me.

also, for the make-up, I walk around until I find someone who's make-up looks well put on, until I start asking for advice. 

• Great advice from everybody. :) I know for me, it took me a long time to learn the make-up (and still am). My mom and big sis didn't wear any so I never learned til college or so. Also, I started with only a little (a little eye shadow, and mascara), now I just do eye makeup, blush, and a light power finish (mainly only when my skin's looking blotchy) which I ONLY buy from MAC. As for hair, I have very girly hair, but straighten it. Had the frizz problem too, until I bought a Chi. I also STILL cannot blow-dry it for crap!! :) I love my Chi, but also, learning the hair stuff took me a long time too!!! I didn't grow up so girly, but as I got older, I really enjoyed looking all cutesy, so I've tried to learn it. :-P I'm pretty good about it all right now! Good luck!! :-D
  • Try curling day old hair. It holds better and requires less hair spray.

Also hit up youtube for tutorials on natural looking makeup. Im personally a huge fan of the elf brand you can get at target its cheap and works well.

And the best afvice to avoid feeling like you look like a clown is this. Make up is meant to enhance what youve already got.

Thats the best makeup advice my mom gave me and the truest. I see girls all day who use their make up to try to 'fix' whats 'wrong' with their face.

Also to avoid the frizz a good pomade or product begore straightening the hair should help
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"