Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nuks and Nipples

Our daughter was born 4/27/13 via c section, after a very difficult trial of normal delivery. Anyways, my milk has not fully come in and it seems that she wants to eat all the time. When she's fussy, I assume she's hungry and put her to breast. I have to break this habit.

Breastfeeding mom's, which nuk's do you use and which bottles? I will be pumping to try to keep up with her demand when my milk comes in.

I feel inadequate and really stressed when she cries. I'm sure every mom goes through it. Any help with this will be appreciated!!

Re: Nuks and Nipples

• Do you mean pacifier? Mine will only take mam and she'll only take avent bottles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, I do mean pacifiers. I just feel a bit frustrated. First time mom, had major surgery done, and things are hard to figure out!
  • Loading the player...
  • DD#1 We used Tommee Tippee bottles and Nuk pacifiers.

DD#2 Tommee Tippee bottles and we've tried Avent, Nuk, Mam and Tommee Tippee pacifiers. So far, she's not a binky fan and the only one she'll take at all is the Mam one we have.

• Congratulations on the little one.

I have had to pump and bottle feed my LO due to latch issues from birth.  He loves the disposable NUK nipples that are designed for use with the RTF small bottles because the flow is faster so we use those when he is more tired (ie nighttime) or after he has been sucking on the slow flow nipples for a while.  (Sucking on the slow flow nipples (and now breastfeeding with a nipple shield, yay) tires him out too much still so I can only use them to strengthen his mouth muscles for a little while before I have to change so he can actually ingest enough food.

I love the Playtex bottles with the drop in liners -- but ds has a hard time with the wide nipples -- so I've been using the bottles that came with my pump, and a set of 3 Gerber (I think) 5oz bottles and a set of 3 cheap Walmart 9oz bottles with a variety of standard nipples.

If you are planning to breastfeed, you don't need to worry about bottles for a couple weeks or so yet -- unless you need to pump/supplement for some reason.  For now, you need to nurse as often as possible to get your supply to match your LO's demand. Nursing builds supply better than pumping, BTW.  Giving a pacifier to give yourself a break is fine in short spurts.

Ds has a couple NUK pacifiers and a Soothie.  He prefers the NUK as a general rule but there are times that he wants the Soothie instead.

One thing my dh remembers from watching the mandatory shaken baby video at the hospital is that "No baby has ever died from crying."  So relax and don't worry if your LO cries for a few minutes while you try to figure out what is needed, soon enough you will learn to "communicate" with your LO.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I had good luck with MAM pacifiers and recently found that they make bottles too and she loves them.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • dalziendalzien member
    imagePipSqueak0313:

Congratulations on the little one.

I have had to pump and bottle feed my LO due to latch issues from birth.  He loves the disposable NUK nipples that are designed for use with the RTF small bottles because the flow is faster so we use those when he is more tired (ie nighttime) or after he has been sucking on the slow flow nipples for a while.  (Sucking on the slow flow nipples (and now breastfeeding with a nipple shield, yay) tires him out too much still so I can only use them to strengthen his mouth muscles for a little while before I have to change so he can actually ingest enough food.

I love the Playtex bottles with the drop in liners -- but ds has a hard time with the wide nipples -- so I've been using the bottles that came with my pump, and a set of 3 Gerber (I think) 5oz bottles and a set of 3 cheap Walmart 9oz bottles with a variety of standard nipples.

If you are planning to breastfeed, you don't need to worry about bottles for a couple weeks or so yet -- unless you need to pump/supplement for some reason.  For now, you need to nurse as often as possible to get your supply to match your LO's demand. Nursing builds supply better than pumping, BTW.  Giving a pacifier to give yourself a break is fine in short spurts.

Ds has a couple NUK pacifiers and a Soothie.  He prefers the NUK as a general rule but there are times that he wants the Soothie instead.

One thing my dh remembers from watching the mandatory shaken baby video at the hospital is that "No baby has ever died from crying."  So relax and don't worry if your LO cries for a few minutes while you try to figure out what is needed, soon enough you will learn to "communicate" with your LO.

This. Your LO is only 4 days old. If your LO is trying to nurse, and your milk hasn't come in, I would keep her latched. It might be hard, but it is what is best for your baby and a soother doesn't help to build supply or comfort your LO if they are actually hungry. When your milk does come in then introduce a soother if you feel it is needed.

• nlp1990nlp1990 member
    We use soothe pacifiers and Avent bottles with no issue going between those and the breast.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"