August 2012 Moms

Invited to a baby shower for someone you hardly know?

I got an invite today for a baby shower for a girl I hardly know. She used to intern at the same place my husband works (im talking before we were even married) and now she works at target by where we live. I met her there once briefly when hubby and I were shopping and besides that I've been around her one time for maybe 30 minutes. I told her about a clothing sale at a baby consignment store last weekend so we both ended up going at the same time and chatted while we shopped for 20-30 minutes before she had to leave. She mentioned she was having a second shower soon and I just got an invite today. The thing is, I barely know her and don't know anyone else at all who would be going so I don't really feel comfortable going. Plus I'm one of those people who doesn't particularly enjoy going to baby showers, especially for someone I hardly know. What do you guys think? Should I come up with an excuse and politely decline? Money is also a little tight right now so I really don't like having to buy a gift for someone I just met a couple weeks ago (and honestly the whole thing seems a little gift-grabby to me). Plus we have 6 weddings so far and numerous bridal showers to buy for this year so that'll strain us as is. So what do you think? Should I just go anyways or nicely find a reason I can't make it?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Invited to a baby shower for someone you hardly know?

• imagemlynne37wiu:
    I would just politely decline. You don't even need to give a reason. Just say you are unable to attend. Are you RSVPing to her or someone else?

This. No need to give a reason.
  • imagemlynne37wiu:
    I would just politely decline. You don't even need to give a reason. Just say you are unable to attend. Are you RSVPing to her or someone else?

This. Don't even feel bad about it either.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemlynne37wiu:

Someone else. I'm assuming its a friend throwing the shower. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSJandVA:
    imagemlynne37wiu:
    This. Don't even feel bad about it either.

Yes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagemlynne37wiu:
    This.
    lolololo
  • imageBayleighPaws:
    I would decline. That's random, and I wouldn't want to go to a shower for someone I barely know.

It could be a case of her wanting to invite you because she mentioned it to you and was concerned about your feeling left out [I'm guilty of inviting people everywhere because I mention something we are doing and am certain their feelings will be hurt].

I do this too. I would just politely decline. As pp have said you don't even need to give a reason.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"