Multiples

PSA to newborn MoMs

It gets better. Oh my gosh...it gets soooo much better. When my boys were about 8 weeks old, someone posted something like this and it really helped me to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I wanted to do the same. Those first three months are so insanely, chaotically difficult, but at 5.5 months, it's an absolute joy to have twins. The days of screaming through witching hour, crazy cluster feeding, and 3am wakefulness all seem like they were a million years ago. The boys interact with each other, smile at absolutely everything, and STTN like champs. By no means is it easy, but it's certainly not the impossible nightmare it was five months ago. So it will get better more rewarding so so soon. Just keep calm and carry on!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog

Re: PSA to newborn MoMs

• I agree! And at 9 months they laugh at each other and play nicely in the playpen.... Minus hair pulling haha!
  • I loved 6-9 mo!  After they get mobile and realize they have a will, it's a new challenge Wink

• Loading the player...
  • Ohmygosh is this ever true!  We are 8 months in and I'm juuuust starting to feel sad that my sweet, smiling, giggling babies aren't going to stay little forever.  If you would have told me I'd feel this way 5 months ago I'd never have believed it.  I cant even count how many times I came close to losing my sanity back then!  I am dying over them laughing at and reaching for each other these days! It is fascinating to watch!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Can I save this post for about two months from now? ;)
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Thank you!! At 4 months I'm already seeing how much easier and how fun my LOs are....esp w/ the interacting, smiling, and sleeping longer stretches at night. They have me on my toes w/ the nap issue but it's so nice to see that light at the end of the tunnel!
  • Yes

It keeps getting better and better.  Watching them chase each other around now is awesome.  Yesterday they held hands and moved in a circle while I sang Ring Around the Rosie and I about died from cuteness.  

And on a selfish note, I watch my sister struggle with my nephew because he's just a few months older and doesn't play well alone for very long and think "man am I lucky that they have each other" as I straighten up or start dinner in (relative) peace.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree!  I remember someone reassuring me on this board that once they STTN and can sit up on their own and play it gets easier. 
  • Especially to moms of preemies! It seems like the newborn phase is extended, but it does get better. Once our babies were about 5 months, we turned a corner and it gets better every day.
    TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
  • It's *so* much better now!  They play with each other and consistently sleep 10 hours at night and take 2 naps during the day.  It's so cute to watch them interact and cause mischief together.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • This is such a sweet post. I know I'm in for a challenge, but I am really excited to hopefully have healthy and interactive little ones. 
    (Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • Thank you for posting this and giving me/us encouragement!  Even at 3 months I still feel like there is no end in sight.  I'm trying to tell myself to hang on and it will get better, but it's so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you're in the thick of it. 
  • imagesteff13914:
    Especially to moms of preemies! It seems like the newborn phase is extended, but it does get better. Once our babies were about 5 months, we turned a corner and it gets better every day.

Oh my gosh is this ever true.  I just told my mom the other day I feel like we've been "stuck" for quite some time now (with how much they are eating, sleeping, etc), and feel like this phase is never going to end.

• Thank you!! Mine are 12 days old (still need to update siggy) and oh.my.god did I need to hear this today.
  • I'll chime in too to echo the others...it most certainly does get a million times better! We actually ENJOY our sweet babies now rather than just going through the motions of making it through the day without too many tears (yes, tears from me, haha). 

It's awful how crazy you can feel when you are operating on NO sleep night after night and having little ones be so dependent on you. My strong marriage of 8.5 years (at the time the babies were born) seemed unrecognizable to me from month 1 - month 4 as DH and I fought over anything and everything because we were so sleep deprived and stretched so thin. We couldn't take our frustrations out on the crying babies so we took it out on each other. My DH who was so, so, so great from day 1 with our first DS seemed completely and utterly overwhelmed by adding 2 more babies to the mix which took me by surprise because he's always been so strong and such a rock. I thought I would be the only one to struggle to adjust, but he definitely did too. I cried my eyes out some nights and begged my friends to pray for us to get some sleep (ours were the crappiest sleeps EVER and truly woke every hour needing soothing for exactly 4 months). I found myself wishing away everyday and always thinking ahead to when the babies were older and life would be better. I loved my babies, absolutely no doubt about that, but I don't feel like I liked them in the beginning because my world was so turned around and I couldn't find a second to try and enjoy them and soak in the moment. 

All that to say, everything is back to normal again...well a new normal, but normal nonetheless. The babies sleep through the night, DS just loves his baby brother and sister, DH and I are back to our happy marriage where disagreements come up over important things, but not everyday over nothing, we're exercising (which makes us feel better), getting out with more ease (heck, I can get out with all 3 of mine for multiple errands at once!), going out on date nights, staying up to watch a movie on a Saturday night after the kids are down and still getting rest after. The babies are on a 4 hour schedule now which means I don't feel like all I do is feed babies ALL day and Oliver can actually hold his own bottle which helps a ton. It's hard for me to understand how I ever felt unattached to my twins because I am overwhelmed with love for them now. They are smiling, laughing, and starting to get mobile...they're napping now and I can't wait for them to wake up to play :)

Hang in there new MoMs because there truly IS light at the end of the tunnel. Great idea to post this OP! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thank you for that. 8 weeks in and I want to tear my hair out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We still have lots of rough days (we are close.to 5months, 3adjusted!), BUT it seems better. I really.and truly no.longer think.driving.off a cliff is preferable.to being a twin mom. I am.still trying.to get to the bottom of their reflux/mspi issue, but if it.weren't.for that, i.can see a new more pleasant normal emerging. Next month i'll be there you say? Or.is.it.wonky.b/c of the adjustment? Either way, they no.longer seem so.newborny and i feel.guilty tbat i didn't enjoy them.more.when tbey were brand new.
  • awe, what a great post!  It does get so much better:) and the rewarding moments get more frequent and the frustrating moments less. :)  Keep hanging in there MoMMas :D)  Enjoy those little moments of peace, and take pictures of them while they're still posable ;) 
    God gave me a double portion for my inheritance with my little Mighty men :) 9/19/10 Baby A born at 1:47 am 6lbs 14oz, 20.5inches long. Baby B born at 3:20 am 6lbs 6oz, 19.5inches long. My double blessing!:)
  • Thank you for this. We brought our twins home yesterday and while we're over the moon, we're pretty overwhelmed by it all!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm going to try and remember this when our little ones get here.
  • Agreed! 5-6 months was a turning point for us too. Much more enjoyable and fun, even on their fussy days. Not to mention they are just irresistably cute. 

Hugs to all the new mamas! It really flies by.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I really needed to see this post. I'm sitting, holding two colicky babies who just fell asleep. I'm going to stay in this awkward position as long as possible. The screaming was just ridiculous.
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This gives me hope (and mine aren't even here yet!) :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"