June 2013 Moms

anyone hire a doula?

So I was searching the internet for local infant massage classes in my area. I came across this website- and decided to give this lady a call. After talking to her about infant massage- when she will have the next classes, the cost, and how long the classes go for, we got on the subject of her being a doula. I had always thought doulas worked only with midwives in a home birth/birthing center type of setting. I told her that I am delivering at a hospital, but expressed how great my midwife was when I delivered DS2 in Germany. I asked if she works in a hospital setting, and she said yes!

She went on with what type of things she uses to help with labor and delivery- candles, oils, lotions, music ect. It just sounded so great to me. She is very soft spoken, I felt like falling asleep because it was relaxing just to listen to her talk. I hated to have to get off the phone with her because she was very pleasant to talk to and listen to. Sounded very knowledgeable too.

My delivery with DS2 in Germany was fantastic! however; the labor part wasn't so great. My DH was out of the room most of the time (trying to find epidural paper work that was lost) so I didn't have allot of support during labor. I was on my own, and when I wasn't on my own, and he was in the room I didn't want him to touch me, talk to me, or look at me. After all....it was ALL his fault! haha. (J/K)...but seriously that's how I felt.  

So, now I am thinking- would it be such a bad thing to hire a doula? Someone else there to advocate for me, and help me with labor? Someone to take off all that pressure I am sure to give my husband- since again....it will be all his fault. (again...J/K)

Curious if anyone here has hired a doula to help assist with their labor and delivery, or have had a doula before with previous pregnancies and how did it go? Are they pretty costly? 

I seriously feel like calling her back- to ask more questions, and to just listen to her voice again. so soothing!!

Re: anyone hire a doula?

• skioskio member
    Call and talk about price for sure.

I didn't have a doula for my first birth and I wish I did, because I was clueless. I'm sure a doula would've helped me make better decisions regarding a few things that went awry.

I'm trying for a VBAC this time and there was no question in my mind that I needed the extra support and knowledge this time. I interviewed four before choosing someone I feel comfortable with.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We have hired one! I'm striving for a natural birth and have never done this before so I'm hoping she will be able to support us in doing that!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageskio:
    Call and talk about price for sure. I didn't have a doula for my first birth and I wish I did, because I was clueless. I'm sure a doula would've helped me make better decisions regarding a few things that went awry. I'm trying for a VBAC this time and there was no question in my mind that I needed the extra support and knowledge this time. I interviewed four before choosing someone I feel comfortable with.

What kind of questions did you ask during the interview?

• We did!  It's a team of two doulas and they trade off shifts but I'm very excited to work with them towards my goal of a natural childbirth.  They also do postpartum visits.  They work on a sliding scale of $600-$1200.
  • skioskio member
    imagebrandilc84:

imageskio:
    Call and talk about price for sure.

I didn't have a doula for my first birth and I wish I did, because I was clueless. I'm sure a doula would've helped me make better decisions regarding a few things that went awry.

I'm trying for a VBAC this time and there was no question in my mind that I needed the extra support and knowledge this time. I interviewed four before choosing someone I feel comfortable with.

What kind of questions did you ask during the interview?

Why they became a doula, how much experience do they have, have they ever worked with my doctor, have they worked with a hypnobirthing mom, what methods of relaxation will they use to help me when I freak out.

More than anything, I was just looking for that feeling of being comfortable with her. Birth is a personal, intimate thing, and it mattered to me that the doula I chose felt like a friend. Sounds like you certainly found that level of comfort with the one you spoke to!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I had one with my son and the same one is working with me this time. When I interviewed doulas I basically just asked about their experience and made general chit chat. I wanted to pick a doula that I felt comfortable with. I interviewed a few and the one I use is awesome. She's a certified Bradley Method instructor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did! I have actually known my doula for a few years, because I teach voice lessons to her granddaughter. Her fee is $600, but she offered to have me credit her granddaughter's studio account rather than pay her. Needless to say, DH was very happy with this arrangement, since he wasn't 100% on board with a doula in the first place.

I am having a doula because I'm a FTM with a goal of a natural birth -- and I may have no choice since I've been diagnosed with gestational thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and if it doesn't go up, I won't be able to have an epidural.

Also, I want someone to encourage me and be the go-between to explain everything along the way. The fact that she is also my hospital's lactation consultant also helps. We've only had a couple meetings so far, but I am beyond thrilled with my decision to hire her.

• No, not at all. When I told my husband what a doula was, he went off his rocker with comments about it. He feels that women have been having babies since Eve and people make too big of a deal out of it. I however understand why some women would want that extra support. For those of you that will or do use a doula, good for you! Enjoy that extra voice advocating for you.
  • My oddball reasoning for not wanting a doula is that I just don't want a stranger touching me and trying to help me thru labor... One of my birthing classes my hubby could not make it and when we were doing practice contractions the nurse/instructor had the partners massage the ladies... She asked if I wanted her to massage me and I almost got scared, like uh no??? Don't touch me. I only want hubby's hands on my tail bone.....

image image

• I can't imagine what my first birth would have been without our doula.  CANNOT IMAGINE.  She was the best.  She even stayed with me while they stitched me from the c-section and my husband went off with the baby.  Needless to say she will be at this birth too! She costs $900 and that includes in-home meetings (4), her blocking off her schedule 2 weeks before and after our due date, and her being there to support us early labor through the birth, and then also a follow up visit (where she brings us a home cooked meal - YUM!)

If you have a good feeling about this woman, I say go for it.  It's really amazing to have someone else there who is all about helping you have the birth you want.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagevalerie4977:
    No, not at all. When I told my husband what a doula was, he went off his rocker with comments about it. He feels that women have been having babies since Eve and people make too big of a deal out of it. I however understand why some women would want that extra support. For those of you that will or do use a doula, good for you! Enjoy that extra voice advocating for you.

Well good thing he feels that way considering he's about to push a baby out of his vagina.  Oh wait.....Huh?

• imagevalerie4977:
    No, not at all. When I told my husband what a doula was, he went off his rocker with comments about it. He feels that women have been having babies since Eve and people make too big of a deal out of it. I however understand why some women would want that extra support. For those of you that will or do use a doula, good for you! Enjoy that extra voice advocating for you.

Actually women have been using doulas since Ancient Greece. That's where the word doula came from, female helper or slave. You should tell him that women have been having babies forever and that they did utilize doulas.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagenotquiteblushing:

imagevalerie4977:

Well good thing he feels that way considering he's about to push a baby out of his vagina.  Oh wait.....Huh?

Word. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"