3rd Trimester
Options

Strep B? I am scared??

What is Strep B, I did not have this with my daughter 10 years ago, how the heck do I get it now??  I am 36 weeks, what does this mean, they said they will give me antibiotics now and when I deliver... ??  

Re: Strep B? I am scared??

• Options
    Strep B comes and goes from your body all the time. It poses no risk to adults. If your baby ingests the bacteria from your vagina during birth it can cause pneumonia, but this is exceedingly rare, even without antibiotic treatment. The standard protocol now is to treat every woman who tests positive for the bacteria with antibiotics during labor to prevent transmission. The rate of infection in newborns is virtually zero with antibiotics during labor. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jlpevjlpev member
    Nothing to panic about!!! I had it with DS and will be tested Wednesday. With DS I was only given antibiotics while I was being induced. My Dr told me its nothing I did or didn't do and that I might or might not have it with my future children.
    I can't tell you exactly what it is but I trust my Dr so when he told me not to worry so I didn't.
    I was given penicillin while I was induced. Good luck and dont stress!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My sister had Strep B with her second. Usually they stick an IV with the antibiotics in you when you check in.  My sister's labour was so fast they had no time for the IV... It just meant she had to stay in the hospital a day or two longer so they could administer the antibiotics to the baby and monitor her a little to make sure she was ok. 

Don't panic; they know how to deal with it. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

imagemeltoine:
    Strep B comes and goes from your body all the time. It poses no risk to adults. If your baby ingests the bacteria from your vagina during birth it can cause pneumonia, but this is exceedingly rare, even without antibiotic treatment. The standard protocol now is to treat every woman who tests positive for the bacteria with antibiotics during labor to prevent transmission. The rate of infection in newborns is virtually zero with antibiotics during labor. 

All this!

I had a quick labor with DD1, so no time to get antibiotics on board.  They usually make Group B Strep mommas stay an extra day anyway.  Neither of us showed any signs of it.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Don't be scared- my OB tests for it routinely, even for c-section mamas. I am getting tested at 34 weeks. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemeltoine:

This. It comes and goes and you may have it with one baby and not with another.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    like others have said- not a big deal.  i had it with my last pregnancy and again with this one.  they just gave me 2 rounds of iv antibiotics as soon as i got admitted to l&d.  just make sure you get to the hospital asap once labor starts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

its no big deal. I had it with my 1st. You have an IV when you're admitted anyway. So they just put a bag of antibiotics on too. You have to get the whole bag in before you deliver though.

• Options
    No big deal as long as your doctor inst a idiot like mine was... I was positive and some how it got over looked I had no antibiotics here and my son was admitted to the children's hospital two weeks later for group b strep meningitis... we were there for 6 weeks and the damage has caused many long term effects. 
  • Options

I also just found out I'm Strep B positive yesterday.... My first baby I wasn't positive, so I didn't give it a second thought. I'm trying not to worry about it and take everyone's advice that it's not that big of a deal. I do plan, however, to get myself to the hospital as soon as I start having contractions. 

Good luck Mamas! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"