February 2013 Moms
Options

Suggestions for transitioning LO to crib

DD is 11 weeks and won't nap in her crib or sleep in it at night.  She cries immeditaely after we put her in.  Even if we put her down in a deep sleep she wakes up within 20 minutes max.  Poor DH stayed up most of last night trying to get her to sleep in it and he finally gave up around midnight when she'd been fighting sleep in there for four hours.  We really need to start transitioning her.  Do we just put her in and let her cry and try to console her without picking her up? I don't want to let her cry, but we also can't keep picking her up otherwise she'll only be in it for 5 minutes at a time. Do we just power through and not let her sleep anywhere else until she sleeps in the crib.  Ugh I hate seeing her miserable.

Re: Suggestions for transitioning LO to crib

• Options
    I think the two things that made it an easy transition for us was the fleece swaddle sleep sack and a noise machine that goes all night. We live south of boston so its still cold here at night. Since all the books recommend an ideal temp of 67 to 74 degrees or so, its cold in her room! So the fleece sleep sack keeps her warm and cozy. The first few nights i swaddled her arms in but she moved like a little inch worm and i was afraid she would roll over so i started swaddling arms out. I had the sleep sheep but she woke up after it shut off after 45 min. I got one that goes through the night now and i love it! I think both of these things helped though i must say she never cried in her crib but she would wake up and lay awake and not go back to sleep. With these two things and a few nights she now sttn in her crib. I do have a wedge in her crib under the sheets but thats because she has acid reflux so not sure if its related to her liking her crib. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    One thing that really worked for us during the transition was to put a heating pad in the crib and warm it up a bit before laying him down. It helped that transition from arms to crib seem less shocking to him I think. Worked like a charm and he has been STTN in his crib for the past week now. We only needed to use the heating pad for 2 weeks and then stopped, he goes down fine without it now. (I can't take credit for this idea though- it was DC2London's) :) GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been working on having the same sleep cues for all naps and bedtime. I use a swaddleme, a binky and noise. I had been rocking in the RnP for a bit first, but recently I've had luck with just those three things. Sometimes DS still needs rocking, but I think he's now associating swaddle, binky and sound with sleep and will go down right in his crib. 

Good luck! Sleep is such a hard thing. We're good overnight but are struggling with naps! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  I put her down in her crib at 7:30 and it's 8:15 and she's just starting to grumble.  At least she's staying in it longer!  Maybe she'll even sooth herself back to sleep--fat chance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"