2nd Trimester
Options

Hand me downs?

Have any of you mothers or mothers to be recieved hammy downs?

Particular on a crib. My boyfriend was telling me his dad has a crib but its 20 years old. I'm already skeptical on cribs brand new just making sure there isnt any recalls and etc. I didnt even know cribs lasted that long but I guess so if you take care of them. I havnt seen the crib but I know they would need it anymore.

Anything odd about using a 20 year old crib?

I just dont want it to break on me or anything.

Thanks Ladies

Found this site that doesnt reccommend it but thought I could get another opinion.

https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/106902/5_handmedowns_to_skip_when

Re: Hand me downs?

• Options
    Do you mean hand me downs? Yes, we used a ton, but a 20 year old crib isn't something I would be comfortable with accepting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haha thank you. I'll fix that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd agree with the concern of recalls and just overall condition of the crib, I'd pass.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a crib. DD1 got SO MANY hand me downs for clothes, I kept a lot of them, even if they were just for play clothes! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    Do you mean hand me downs? Yes, we used a ton, but a 20 year old crib isn't something I would be comfortable with accepting.

Yep. I am fine with clothes, but a crib has safety issues I wouldn't be comfortable with.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm in agreeence with everyone else: most hand me downs are perfectly fine but i'd be weary of a crib that old!
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Options
    Crib safety standards have changed even in the past few years. A 20 year crib is very unlikely to be adequately safe.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    20 years old is really old in terms of baby gear, especially a crib. I don't think it would collapse on you or anything, but I'd be concerned about what it was made and painted with, size of the slats, drop side or not, is it standard size which would impact sheet and mattress purchases. if it ever was recalled, might be hard to find that info. also, if you ever have issues and need a manual or to call customer support, it would be difficult to get help. there are a lot of safe, cheap cribs out there. I wouldn't be totally opposed to a used crib as long as it was only a couple years old less than 5 and wasn't recalled, but 20 years is way too long ago and not worth the health and safety of my baby.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • Options
    imageSaraSKC:
    Crib safety standards have changed even in the past few years. A 20 year crib is very unlikely to be adequately safe.

This.

I wouldn't do it!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I take a LOT of hand me downs. and there are ways to make old cribs safe. that said: I wouldn't take my old crib if it was still usable. Unless you really really can't find another option; I'd be leary.

If there isn't another option: There are ways to change drop side to the safe standard side... and the wood (if kept in a non-humid area) will hold up that long.

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would never use a 20 year old crib.  The regulations just changed a couple years ago to eliminate drop side cribs, so honestly I wouldn't use a hand me down crib any older than that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have already received clothes (neutral-greens/yellows/whites) from my SIL.  I know my friend will also pass down neutral clothes (or boys clothes if we have a boy) as hers grows out of them.  My SIL is also passing down a bouncy seat. 
  • Options
    Do what you can afford. I don't know how old our crib was but it was a hand me down and it has worked for both sons. We were careful and kept a close eye on it. We couldn't afford a new one. There are babies all over the world living in much less preferred conditions. We are very blessed in this country. If you can afford a new crib great if not get what you can, do the best with what you have, and love your baby. That's what matters.
  • Options
    I had a difficult time finding information on our "hand me down" crib that is only 3 years old. But I found enough to feel confident that it is a safe crib for our LO. It's also coming from someone that I would trust with my life, so I know it's been well cared for. I don't think you would be able to say the same thing about a 20 year old crib. If you're financially unable to get one on your own, there may be inexpensive ones out there that will do the trick. GL!
  • Options

I would be fine with clothes, bouncers, swings, toys, etc.

I wouldn't use a hand-me-down crib or carseat, unless I knew and trusted the person that it was coming from. I would say "no" to a 20 year old crib for sure.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm 16 weeks 4 days pregnant, and i've already been getting used baby stuff from my family, like clothing. However, I would never accept a 20 year old crib for safety reasons. As a crib gets older, it begins to loose quality. It could one day fall apart while baby's sleeping in it. If I were you, I would consider buying a new crib, or even having one made. 
    Angelbesdme
  • Options
    I personally would not use a 20 year old crib.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am fine will all hand me downs except for cribs and car seats.  Those are the two things I am willing to pay extra for.
  • Options
    Clothes, High Chairs, toys, etc I'm fine with accepting but considering how old the crib is, I wouldn't accept it. And I've had cribs given to me but they were anywhere from a year to three years old and everything worked fine on it. I would never accept a crib that is that old. If you are concerned about the cost of a crib, why don't you check out Walmart? They have some really nice cribs on budget!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    image3222w27thst:

Have any of you mothers or mothers to be recieved hammy downs?

Particular on a crib. My boyfriend was telling me his dad has a crib but its 20 years old. I'm already skeptical on cribs brand new just making sure there isnt any recalls and etc. I didnt even know cribs lasted that long but I guess so if you take care of them. I havnt seen the crib but I know they would need it anymore.

Anything odd about using a 20 year old crib?

I just dont want it to break on me or anything.

Thanks Ladies

Found this site that doesnt reccommend it but thought I could get another opinion.

https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/106902/5_handmedowns_to_skip_when

TB's email newsletter that was sent out today was actually about this specifically.

Do not use hand me downs of:

Cribs

Car seats

Breast Pumps

Toys

Strollers 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"