North Carolina Babies

Wilmington

Hi! Any Wilmington first time mommies on here? I'm born and raised in Wilmington 8 weeks along, going to my first doctors appt. this week!

Re: Wilmington

• Hi! First time mommy here too! I'm 14 weeks along :) I'm new to wilmimgton, just moved here in October. Good luck at your first appt!!
  • I live in Jacksonville not too far from Wilmington!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a little over 10 weeks now with my first. Very excited yet nervous at the same time. Lived in Wilm for about 2 years, don't know many people especially not any with or expecting little ones. Good luck at your first appt! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yay for other first time mamas in Wilmington! How is everyone feeling? 
  • Me me MEEE!  I'm 8.5 weeks (due 11/21) and have lived here almost 3 years i LOVE IT! 

Where is everyone being seen? I have been SUPER displeased with Wilmington Health and am considering going the midwife/home birth route provided nothing wacky happens in the next 7 months, anyone else? 

• I go to Glen Meade, which has been very good so far. There are a lot of doctors that you have to rotate through though so that is something to consider. What haven't you liked so far about your place? I would be too scared of a home birth I think, but a midwife at a birthing center sounds pretty nice...
  • My doctors appt. went great im due nov. 30! I'm been feeling great besides soreness in my boobs, tired, and I want to eat everything on sight! I go to wilmington health I'm happy with it so far. Oh and I I'm born and raised in Wilmington :
  • I'm seeing a midwife through new Hanover regional's midwifery service. I'm very satisfied so far tho I've only had a couple appts. The main reason I chose a midwife is bc I believe in using as little intervention during pregnancy and birth as possible, while still having the resources available to me if complications arise. I want to be in control of my pregnancy and birth. I mean women have been doing this for hundreds of thousands of years. The midwives are very supportive.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Katjam- I totally agree and glad to hear you are having a good experience so far! I hope you continue to stay as satisfied.

Are any of you ladies staying active so far? I wasn't able to do much during the first trimester due to being sick and exhausted. I keep waiting for my energy to return so I can start working out again...so far not so,much!  

• Agreed with the lessismore intervention theory!

I've been unhappy with WH because they come across as very "big business". i get it, you see women like me ALL DAY LONG, it isn't a big deal to you, and my concerns probably are silly but if you can't wrap your head around this being a HUGE SMURFING DEAL for me, then you're in the wrong business! just sayin'.

Functionally i don't like how i have to chase test results with them, i don't like the insensitivity of the nurses charged with leaving me voicemails, that i can never get a live helpful human on the phone, and that i get shuffled with a different doctor every time and feel like i'm starting from scratch.

I'm also not fond of them referring to my first ultrasound quite casually as a "viability scan" and telling me they don't consider any pregnancy confirmed until after it. excuse me? i don't "count" for you yet? what a negative tone to set for an appointment that could be framed as "your first opportunity to see your baby"

Bigbox medical has never been my thing though and it is endlessly irksome to me that traditional medicine treats pregnancy as a "condition" or "disease" more than a completely normal function of the human body.

i just want someone who has the time to hear my concerns and take them seriously. if i'm paying you for your time i think i deserve that ;
  • imageMeganmarie634:
    Katjam I totally agree and glad to hear you are having a good experience so far! I hope you continue to stay as satisfied.nbsp;Are any of you ladies staying active so far? I wasn't able to do much during the first trimester due to being sick and exhausted. I keep waiting for my energy to return so I can start working out again...so far not so,much!nbsp;nbsp;

I am just starting to feel a bit better so decided to start doing some beginner yoga stuff yesterday and it kicked my butt! I haven't been able to do much of anything for so long, it totally wiped me out lol. And I'm incredibly sore today too! I'm going to attempt to do it every other day til my energy returns completely.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagekatjam87124:
    imageMeganmarie634:
    Katjam I totally agree and glad to hear you are having a good experience so far! I hope you continue to stay as satisfied.nbsp;Are any of you ladies staying active so far? I wasn't able to do much during the first trimester due to being sick and exhausted. I keep waiting for my energy to return so I can start working out again...so far not so,much!nbsp;nbsp;
    I am just starting to feel a bit better so decided to start doing some beginner yoga stuff yesterday and it kicked my butt! I haven't been able to do much of anything for so long, it totally wiped me out lol. And I'm incredibly sore today too! I'm going to attempt to do it every other day til my energy returns completely.

i have tried prenatal pilates...but only did one day! LOL All us wilmington mamas should make a workout group! :) 

• imagekatjam87124:
    imageMeganmarie634:

i have tried prenatal pilates...but only did one day! LOL All us wilmington mamas should make a workout group! :) 

• Hi!

I'm 13 weeks along and going to Glen Meade. I agree that it's a lot of doctors, but I really like them so far, especially the MFM doc. ;)

I've been doing The Pregnancy Project DVDs and have enjoyed them. My gluts and thighs have been sore a couple of days to be honest, but at least I know it's working those areas!

I'm feeling pretty good with the exception of headaches. They have been pretty bad at times too. My doc did prescribe some Fioricet which really does the trick.

Does anyone know what they are having? We had our NT scan last week and found out we are having a boy!  So excited!

• imageLilly523:

Hi!

I'm 13 weeks along and going to Glen Meade. I agree that it's a lot of doctors, but I really like them so far, especially the MFM doc. ;)

I've been doing The Pregnancy Project DVDs and have enjoyed them. My gluts and thighs have been sore a couple of days to be honest, but at least I know it's working those areas!

I'm feeling pretty good with the exception of headaches. They have been pretty bad at times too. My doc did prescribe some Fioricet which really does the trick.

Does anyone know what they are having? We had our NT scan last week and found out we are having a boy!  So excited!

Congrats in having a boy!! At our NT scan they thought it may be a boy but couldn't say for sure. We have our next appt on May 15. 

I have only had one doc at Glen Meade I didn't care for so far... 

• Megan ~ Did you have any of the bloodwork testing or just the NT scan? We opted for the MaterniT21 test also. I got the results from that yesterday which confirmed our baby is a boy. ;). I also didn't love the first OB that I met with, but like I said, I really loved the MFM doc. I go back to see him again on the 8th and then meet with the next OB on the 10th. It's funny, the first doc I met with happened to be my neighbor's favorite of the group, and I didn't really care for her......it's funny how that works. :) 

• Lily- yeah, I had the blood work as well. But they said I had to have told them before that I wanted to know the sex, and I didn't know that at the time. So, I have to wait! Congrats on the baby boy!!! So exciting!

How has your weight gain been if you don't mind me asking. I'm so concerned with gaining extra weight since I was already about 20 pounds overweight due to a medication I was on causing weight gain. I want to work out but can't find the energy...or motivation! I used to work out every day.... 

• I have gained seven pounds so far. I had read that 1-4 pounds in your first trimester is average, and I exceeded that. I'm 5'6 and started out at 127, so pretty average I think. I'll be honest, it's freaking me out to watch the scale go up even though I know it's supposed to. I'm trying to exercise pretty regularly so that after the baby comes, I can get back to my old self again. Who knows how I'll feel as I get bigger though....I'm just trying to maximize it now while I'm not too big and still have the energy. ;) 

• How far along are you again? Sounds like your are prob on a good track since you will want to be in that 25-35 gain. I'm trying to keep mine at 25 or under :-/ So hard I think! Do you workout at home or at a gym? I have a membership to the Y, and need to get back to going! 
  • I am now 16 weeks and up 8 pounds. ;)

I have been doing Tracy Anderson's The Pregnancy Project DVDs at home (love those) as well as taking some yoga classes. Now that the weather is nice, I plan to start walking too.

I had another MFM appt yesterday and to went really well. The baby is now 8 inches and weighs 5 ounces, crazy! I have an OB appt tomorrow to meet with the next doc, Dr. Jones. After that, it will be four weeks until I'm seen again. That seems like a lifetime!

I hope you are doing well! :) 

• Happy Mothers Day! Going for my anatomy scan tomorrow and finding out the sex. I'm so excited!! I really liked Dr. Jones...hope you did too! I hate going these four long weeks between appts. It seems like forever. 

Hope you are feeling great!! I'm 19 weeks today. Almost half way there!  

• How was your anatomy scan?? Mine is on June 5th....I can't wait! We already know the sex but it's always fun to get a peek at our little man. The sonographer said that by then she would be able to switch to 3D and he won't look too skeletal anymore. :)

I really liked Dr. Jones. I'm seeing her again on the 5th before my appt with Dr. Wright. She studied under my RE at UNC and spoke very highly of him. I knew I'd like her after that since we LOVE our fertility doc.

Well, I'm 17 weeks today and up 10 pounds. My bump is finally starting to show some instead just looking fat. ;)

Have a great weekend!

• Hey! The anatomy scan was good. We are having a....BOY!!! we are so excited! I have to go for another scan in 6 weeks since they are " keeping an eye on a few things" and while that makes me nervous I'm excited we will get to see our little monkey again :) 

I'll be 20 weeks tomorrow! Half way there. I'm up about 6 pounds, but still just feeling fat LOL

Glad to hear you are doing well, and it's fun getting to chat with another pregnant mama! Have a great weekend :) 

• Congratulations on your baby boy!!

Wow, only six pounds, that's great! I'm almost 19 weeks and am up 12 pounds. Per the BabyMed calculator I'm right on track for the 25-35lb gain, but its still pretty unnerving to see the number continue to increase.

I have my anatomy scan one week from today. I also have a regular OB appt before that with Dr. Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing her again. ;)

I hope you are feeling well!

• Hi! Hope your anatomy scan went well! I had a doc appt today with a woman I didn't like at all. Blah! I hate when it's a doc you don't like! 

Hope you are feeling well. I'll be 23 weeks this weekend. It is going so fast!

Have you picked any names yet?  

• I'm a first time mom in Wilmington also! I am 25 weeks pregnant with a baby girl! My husband is a Marine who is currently deployed.
  • HI! we are just a week apart :) I'm 24 weeks today. That must be so hard having your husband away. How are you hanging in there? Doing okay? Hope you are feeling well through your pregnancy so far! And congrats on a baby girl! How exciting!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"