Parenting
Options

Talk to me about sleep training

I know it's not recommended before three months. Is there anything we can start doing now? When we put LO down drowsy, she wakes herself up almost immediately and starts fussing, which leads to crying. Anyone have anything that works? We are still dealing with freakouts every night where LO cries and cries before we can get her to sleep. We've tried earlier/later bedtimes, but the crying before bed continues.
Lilypie - (KNqh)

Re: Talk to me about sleep training

• Options
    Swaddling was a life saver. It's also 4 months at the earliest for CIO.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

When I read the books on sleep training (and I read a LOT of books on ST...), they said wait until your LO is at least 15 lbs, so that they can maintain proper glucose levels all night.  I don't think the age matters so much as the weight.  DD was 6 months old when she finally hit 15 lbs, and that was when we used the sleep easy solution.   But I am with PP... I swaddled DD and that helped a lot before I did any sort of sleep training with her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, 4 months is the earliest for CIO.  Also, do try the swaddle.  Do you have a bedtime routine?  You should.  Try adding a bath, even if it's just warm water (no daily soap for sensitive skin, but warm water should be fine), stories etc. 
  • Options

My dd would cry for hours when we rocked her to sleep for the first 4 months. She was swaddled and shushed and it took an hour to get her to stop crying and fall asleep and it was another hour before putting her down The night we did CIO she cried for about 20 minutes and she was out. So she cried less during CIO than being rocked. My point is that in her case, all the rocking was just getting her agitated.

Most say you aren't supposed to do CIO until 4 months. But some people say that doing CIO at any point is terrible. So no one really knows for sure. Weissbluth says you can start experimenting with it at 2 months. Trust your gut. And nothing you try for a couple of nights will permanently harm your baby.

ETA: I mean CIO for bedtime, not STTN. 

• Options
    We don't let her cry it out. Sorry for the confusion. She cries at that time no matter what we do. White noise goes help and we do still swaddle, but it seems like she still has to have a crying jag around 7 to 9 every night.

I guess I'm looking for something we can do to avoid her crying in our arms every night before she finally gets tired and falls asleep. Maybe this is something she will outgrow? I just feel bad that she has this crying period right before bed.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    Your LO is still too young to do CIO. Then again my DD was STTN at 4 months old. She won't be on any kind of a schedule at 2 months old.
  • Options
    Do you think she has gas? Is she uncomfortable? My DD had a dairy allergy and once that was fixed, she stopped having tunmy problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options
    imageMamatoA2010:
    Your LO is still too young to do CIO. Then again my DD was STTN at 4 months old. She won't be on any kind of a schedule at 2 months old.

As I said above, we don't CIO. She cries while rock/ try to soothe her. We swaddle and use a white noise track from HBOTB. She still ends up on a crying jag before going to sleep.

She does have a milk protein sensitivity, but I have cut out all dairy from my diet and she gets a soy formula for supplement.

I was just wondering if there was anything we can do so she's not crying every night as we try to get her to bed. I feel bad that this is how bedtime is for her.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    It's plain and simple a bad time for babies. Have you ever heard of the witching hour?  I wish I had more advice for you, but you seem to be trying, so I'm sure you will find something that works for you. 
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Options

imageRiverSong82:
    We don't let her cry it out. Sorry for the confusion. She cries at that time no matter what we do. White noise goes help and we do still swaddle, but it seems like she still has to have a crying jag around 7 to 9 every night. I guess I'm looking for something we can do to avoid her crying in our arms every night before she finally gets tired and falls asleep. Maybe this is something she will outgrow? I just feel bad that she has this crying period right before bed.

It will pass.

Both my kids had witching hours around that time.   Eventually it ended.  Listened to a lot of Journey during that time.

Good luck.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"