Success after IF

Sleep amounts

So I got this email yesterday about how much sleep babies need at each age.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc?scid=mbtw_post9m&pe=MlVDVGpBWXwyMDEzMDQyOQ..

(Sorry, can't seem to make it clicky, I usually can, not sure what the deal is.)

It says that at E's age, she should be sleeping 11 hours at night, plus 3 hours during the day over 2 naps, for a total of 14 hours per day.

She currently sleeps 9-10 hours at night, plus 3 naps during the day that usually total around 3 hours.  Which gives her a total of 12-13 hours of sleep per day.

If she is happy and healthy, not fussy, seems well rested, doesn't give sleepy cues except right before her naps or bedtime, are we hurting her by not making her sleep more?  I mean, it's not like you can force a child to sleep.  When I try to put her down earlier, it only results in 2 hours of rocking and shushing and everyone getting frustrated.  Whereas with our current routine she goes down like a champ and sleeps through the night 50% of the time, and wakes to eat once the other 50% of the time, and then goes right back to sleep.  WDYT?  How much does your LO sleep?

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
beta #2 11/28 = 2055
Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
imageimageimage

Re: Sleep amounts

• My boys are on the higher end of sleep. Most days, they take two catnaps of about 30 minutes each and two longer naps for 60 to 90 minutes. Every once in a while, they will drop one of the catnaps. They really struggle to stay awake for more than 1.5 to 2 hours at a time, so I just let them sleep. I hate to push them if they are cranky. They each sleep for about 11, sometimes 12, hours at night. I figure they take after DH's family in the sleeping department. Everyone in that family needs a ridiculous amount of sleep to function.

ETA: I meant to say that all babies are different and I don't think your LO isn't having trouble. What works for others doesn't always work for our LOs. My boys would melt down if I had them nap like typical 7 mo olds. A happy and well rested babe means you are doing everything right!!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• DD almost never got the amounts they say are average. As long as your LO is happy and healthy, don't worry about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm how much does Hannah sleep. Good question! She sleeps around 7 hours uninterrupted at night, then usually 3 more after eating in the morning. And then I'm lost. She kinda cat naps a lot during the day. Maybe a 1 hour nap in the afternoon. I should probably be more aware, but she's such a happy baby and so laid back that we just go with the flow.
    Diagonsed PCOS TTC since May 2009
    First M/C December 2010 Second M/C August 2011
    Oct 2011~Second round clomid 50 mg; BFN
    Nov 2011~Third round clomid 50 mg: BFP
    Dec 11- Beta #1 91;Dec 13- Beta #2 186.2
    Dec 27- third miscarriage
    May 25th- Beta #1 369;May 27th- Beta #2 798
    Baby girl born Jan 23, 9lbs 3oz, 21 1/2" long
    May 27th-Beta #1 80; May 29th- Beta #2 304; May 31st- Beta #3 860
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ccamccam member

No two kids are the same.  I'm sure what they're giving is an average, some kids are fine with less and some require more.  Like you said, she's happy and healthy, then she's probably getting enough sleep.  It's not like she's extremely different than the average.

DS is 8 months and sleeps 11-12 hours at night and 2-3 hours of naps during the day depending on where he is, daycare or home.  So he averages around 14 hours. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• imageTJ1979:

If she is happy and healthy, not fussy, seems well rested, doesn't give sleepy cues except right before her naps or bedtime, are we hurting her by not making her sleep more?  I mean, it's not like you can force a child to sleep.

Exactly this. You are giving her the opportunity to sleep when she needs to. You cannot force her to sleep. I used to drive myself crazy because DS always slept at the bare minimum or less for his age recommendation as published in articles like this. But like your DD he was happy, healthy, and rested. When I stopped worrying about it life was a lot happier for everyone. Unless your DD is showing signs that she needs more sleep, try not to worry. :)
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Thanks ladies. I know if one of you had asked that question, I would have given you the same answer. I don't know why I get so worried about the parenting decisions I make. I worry so much about messing E up. Haha, guess I need to work on my parenting confidence.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"