Stay at Home Moms

Potluck Question

I'm hosting a picnic potluck this weekend. There are about 10 families coming and everyone is supposed to bring a dish. A couple have already told me what they are bringing: a casserole, a potato dish, fruit, Swedish meatballs, a veggie tray.

Now I am questioning how much additional food to provide. We don't have a grill, so making hot dogs or burgers for everyone is not an option. I have drinks and chips, and was going to either make a fruit salad or cut watermelon slices...maybe make a tray of baked ziti?

Re: Potluck Question

• Can you afford to buy a girl for $30? I would go buy a charcoal grill and do some type of meat. I am confused on what you were planning to serve when you invited these people. I am not a fan of potluck s but I do think the hostess she serve more and spend more than the guests.

• imageAndrewsgal:
    Can you afford to buy a girl for 30? I would go buy a charcoal grill and do some type of meat. I am confused on what you were planning to serve when you invited these people. I am not a fan of potlucks but I do think the hostess she serve more and spend more than the guests.

Afford? Yes, but I don't want to buy a charcoal grill. It's at 3:30pm so not technically a meal time. It's more of a glorified play date...the kids are going to be playing in the park and have activities. I guess I should have said that in the original post...

• Loading the player...
  • So it's at a park? 
  • I would not bring baked anything. How will you keep it warm? I would bring a large sub sand which or two and condiments, chips and a dessert.
  • As the host, I believe you should be in charge of the main dish since everyone else will be bringing sides. I have a really yummy veggie pasta that serves a crowd if you're interested. Pm me :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    So it's at a park? 

Yes and no...my house backs onto a private park:

So a hot dish is not an issue.

• id012id012 member
    I wouldnt bring anything that had to stay warm.
    What about a couple big grinders? Or a lunch meat platter with rolls ans condiments on the side. You can do that with a salad on the side. Some kind of dessert. Maybe cookies?
    Or i make this salad that really good, its pasta, cut up chicken, red onions, i think theres red peppers and then feta cheese. Then you make that salad dressing that you buy the kit for and add oil and vinegar and you mix that in.
    I haven't made it in a while but you.could probably look something similar up.
  • imageSpin313:

imageAndrewsgal:
    So it's at a park? 

Yes and no...my house backs onto a private park:

So a hot dish is not an issue.

That is awesome! I would still do sandwiches. I am not a big fan of baked stuff like that, but I am the minority.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    I would not bring baked anything. How will you keep it warm? I would bring a large sub sand which or two and condiments, chips and a dessert.

That's a good idea. Nothing baked if it can't be taken from the oven to the table. 

• Thanks ladies...a sub or sandwich tray might be a good idea. I'm going to make a Jello pretzel salad too, and probably cookies.

And yes, the backyard is awesome and the park was a major selling feature. It makes me feel like our property is a lot bigger than it is in reality. The kids spend so much time out there!

• Yeah I agree with PP.  I would go to someplace like Costco and get a sandwich platter or Turkey Pinwheel sandwiches. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"