Baby Names

Cara vs. Kara

I was nameberrying my name: Cara. It dates back to the 1800's. Kara didn't get in the top 1000 until 1956 and in 1963 became more popular than Cara. Kara has been more popular than Cara since then. Why do you think that is?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cara vs. Kara

• I know two Kara's and they are both with K's.  One is about to turn 30 and the other is about to turn 31. 
  • I know a Kara who's almost 2 and my sister cara who's 29. Think its a matter of preference
    Visit The Nest! IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I always thought the pronunciation was a bit different based on spelling.

Caruh vs Kairuh
  • No clue, but I much prefer Cara.
  • It was part of an overall bump in the popularity of K names in the middle of the 20th century (think Karen, Keith, Kathleen, Ken, etc.). Go to the Baby Name Voyager and type in K or C to check out the graphs.
  • imagecaittozer:
    I always thought the pronunciation was a bit different based on spelling. Caruh vs Kairuh

This is what I thought, too. I definitely pronounce them differently.

Hazel 7/08  -  Genevieve 8/09  -  Wesley 9/13
  • imagestarinyte:

imagecaittozer:
    I always thought the pronunciation was a bit different based on spelling.

Caruh vs Kairuh

This is what I thought, too. I definitely pronounce them differently.

I have met both spellings with both pronunciations, but in my experience it is the K's that are more often Kar uh. I don't think there is a legitimate pronunciation rule with this one.
  • I am Cara.  I prefer it with a "C" whether it is just because it's my name or what, I'm not sure.  I wonder though if Kara's get mispronounced as much though.  I get a lot of Car-ah.  Do those spelt with "K"?

Edit:  When I think about the spelling of my name I always remember that scene in Ann of Green Gables when Ann states that "C" always looks so smug.

• Cara!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I know a Cara, spelled that way.

I think either is fine, just a preference.  Same at Cathy and Kathy (Catherine and Katherine)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• For some reason, I prefer Kara over Cara, but I think it's because I only know people with the K one, none with the C.  They're all adults, by the way.  I don't think I know of a child Kara or Cara.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• esf60esf60 member
    I much prefer Cara to Kara. Cara just has a softer look to it. And I'm complete anti adding K's and Y's to names that were spelled beautifully to begin with.

• Both are nice, but I prefer Cara.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Cara. It's an Irish name and means friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"