Eco-Friendly Family
Options

recycle PB jars?

My local news showed the recycling center saying that it makes more sense to throw away a PB jar and conserve the water it would take to get it clean enough to recycle. Do you agree? I can't decide.
Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
             imageimageimageimage

Re: recycle PB jars?

• Options

That is such terrible advice!  Even if it takes more water, there is so much more to it than just water.  Not only does it cause unnecessary filling of landfills, producing a new jar requires significantly more energy (I think about a third more for glass) than recycling one (for extraction of raw materials, transportation and production).  Specifically regarding water, it takes much more water to produce a bottle as to wash one (i wish i had the figures).  And if they were talking about plastic, there's also the oil required to make the bottle.

However, it may cost less (in financial terms, only) to make a new one than recycle one. 

Better advice would be for people to use a spatula to get as much pb out as possible before cleaning it for recycling. 

ETA: Reworded 

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I disagree. I either run them through the dishwasher or fill it up with very hot water and let it sit and then wash. I sincerely doubt that those methods consume more water than manufacturing a whole new jar.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks! that's what I was thinking too.
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Options

I put it under the stream of water when I'm doing hand dishes, then close it up and shake it with that warm, soapy water inside, and let it sit overnight. Works every time, and it's water I was using anyways. 

• Options
    The dog helps clean the peanut butter out of the jar! No water required in my house! Well I might rinse the slobber off some. [maybe]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"