Breastfeeding

Vitamins with iron

Our pedi recommended we start vitamin drops with iron.  The only brand I could find with added iron was Enfamily tri and poly-vi-sol with iron.  I hate how they smell and stain and LO hates how they taste, even when mixed in a bottle.  Is there anything with iron similar to Carlson's D drops?  What do you ladies use?

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

Re: Vitamins with iron

• Was this based on a blood test or just routine advice? We didn't start iron until DS was 18 months and could just take a chewable vitamin.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

• We were given it in the hospital with our first. But, it made her throw up as soon as she took it. I was tired of seeing all of that wonderful vitamin stained milk come back up, I said forget it. We worked too hard to have that milk go to waste! She didn't have any problems from stopping it, has always been off the growth charts etc.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Pedis recommend you start iron at 6 months because iron levels start dropping at 6 months, even for BF babies.  That is why they test for anemia.
  • imagewedsept:
    Pedis recommend you start iron at 6 months because iron levels start dropping at 6 months, even for BF babies.  That is why they test for anemia.

Another option is to offer high iron foods. 

• His pedi said iron levels start dropping in BF babies, but he didn't test him.  He still has a couple months to go for solids.

Token - thanks for the info.  I'm going to reconsider the iron, particularly after reading about harmful bacteria that can use it to grow.  Eek!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"