Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Road trip

Looking for some encouragement here.

Last week we took
Dd1 who is 2.5 and dd2 who is 3 months to the smoky mountains. It was 4 hour car ride and we stayed in a nice cabin and it was relaxing overall minus the long car ride. We've been home since Friday and now we are planning on driving 8 hours to Pitt tomorrow to find secure a new rental because we are moving there in June. I'm so nervous but my husband has no worries and says that in the long run it will alleviate stress because we will have already secured a new home for when we move. Please tell me we aren't out of our minds. We are planning on doing the majority of the driving in the late afternoon about 4 pm to 12 or 1 am then sleeping in a hotel.

Re: Road trip

• You aren't crazy. I promise. I have taken DD1 on multiple long trips, one when she was 3 months old that was total 14 hours and another last summer (DD1 was a little shy of 2 yo) that was total 32 hours. I find that they tend to sleep a lot. The one when she was little, I would just sit in the back with her when she was awake and play with her.

I can definitely say expect it to take longer than 8 hours though. With stopping to feed and change diapers, as well as just letting them stretch out, it added a few hours to both of our trips, but it isn't too bad. Especially since you are stopping in a hotel, that will make it easier. Just bring lots of toys, blankets, wipes and movies if you can. Also snacks. Stopping at gas stations or what have you for food tended to make my LO really ansty. I brought a cooler with milk, cream cheese, apples and all sorts of goodies, as well as pretzels and tons of water.

Our trip last summer, it was just her and I, and I was 7 months pregnant. It sucked. But she watched the Spongebob Squarepants movies probably 10 times, I swear I have that movie memorized now, but it really helped to keep her calm.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • If it's any comfort, I'm driving alone with my 3.5 yr old, 2.5 yr old, and almost 4 month old 8 hours, and not nervous at all. Worst case you stop for 30 to 45 min run around, eat, pee, and get back in the car! From there I'm spending two days, picking up my dad, then driving 12 hours, taking a day to relax and play, and then another 9 hour drive. We'll be spending two months, and then turning around doing three days of 10 hours give or take. Books, snacks, fun music always get us through. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"