December 2011 Moms

18 Month Sleep Regression

Anyone heard of this?  It was brought up on my July 13 BMB (I asked one of the regs there about moving her DD to her toddler bed)

I hadn't heard of this, she mentioned something about toddlers dreaming for the first time around 18 months. 

Earlier this month Josephine went through what I thought were bad dreams or whatever, when she'd wake screaming around 2... I'd give her a couple minutes (after the first week of checking on her because this scream could wake the dead) and she went back to sleep within a couple minutes.  She's now sleeping beautifully again.

I googled it, and found some info, but the articles I've read don't mention dreaming, they mention teeth. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 18 Month Sleep Regression

• My 16 month old is going through this right now. He use to be so easy to put down for bed and naps and now he fights it like crazy. He's also waking up a few times during the night and early morning, not for very long be he also cries until I go in there and then he is usually back to sleep pretty fast.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No! I hope that's not true, Alex finally sleeps through the night since a couple of months now and I hope he'll keep doing it forever. No more sleep regressions!
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Makes sense.  DS wakes up around the same time every night and is really clingy. I'm lazy so I usually put him in bed with me if I have to work the next day since he'll go right back to sleep if he's with me :)  His teeth are always a bother too now days.
  • I feel like over the last month or so we've been having more challenging nights than we have in a while.  When he was around 13 months he would have night terrors, and those seem to have gone away, but now, a couple times a week, he wakes up in the middle of the night and it is getting harder to get him back to sleep.  It used to be that I could just replace the pacifier and he'd settle back down.  Now, most of the time, I just need to sit there so he can see me and he seems to settle back in, but some nights, like Sunday night, he was up from 1:30 until 5. 

I tried to bring him to bed, but he always wants to play in there, so that didn't work.  I tried letting him just cry but he just cried and cried and didn't let up--for one 20 minute stretch, and then one 30 minute stretch.  By 4, I was exhausted and frustrated and started crying, and he just laughed at me.  I sat in the chair in his room and he finally fell asleep.

I think it is a combination of things.  Separation anxiety, him testing boundaries and trying to control me, teething, learning and doing so many new things. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"