Breastfeeding

4oz bottles already???

Last night dh gave lo a bottle of pumped milk in the motn. I set him up with a 3 oz one.  But after eating the 3 oz's, lo was still showing hunger cues.  dh gave him another ounce.  I was shocked.  This was between 4 and 5 am.  I had fed him at 12:30 am.  I know my lo is a healthy eater...and I'm not overly concerned, but really..4oz so soon??  Anyone else?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 4oz bottles already???

• How old?   Either way at three weeks she was taking 3.75 and view at seven months she takes 4...keep in mind they likely get through the bottle faster then their stomachs can tell them they are full.   Kellymom had a good write up about bottle feeding the Breastfed baby 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think drinking 1oz/hour is pretty average, so LO may have just needed more because she slept around 4 hours.

DD1 and DD2 started off with 4 oz bottles around 1 month, but they never went to more than 6 oz/bottle. That was right before starting solids at 6 months.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies.  He's one month.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think that's normal.  DS will sometimes eat 4 ounces.  We give him 3oz of breastmilk in a bottle (I EP) and there have been a few times where he just needs that one extra ounce to top him off.  I usually offer that extra ounce after trying everything else and giving the other 3 ounces time to settle.  For instance, I'll burp him, change him diaper, walk around with him, offer him the pacifier, etc ... if he's still showing signs of being hungry, we offer that 4th ounce.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I gave DS his first bottle of pumped milk two nights ago - it was 3 oz.  He still wanted more afterward so I let him nurse.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"