Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Cheap detergent that gets out toddler stains :)

I feel like I'm pouring my $$ down the drain buying Tide but my husband loves it.  I have tried the homemade route and hated it....  Trying to cut down on our detergent bill right now....

Need suggestions for cheap/effective detergent that actually gets smells out too.  I usually only use half the recommended amount but I'm not against adding something to boost the cleaning power of the detergent either when I need to.

TIA! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cheap detergent that gets out toddler stains :)

• Options
    I think add baking soda helps
  • Options

imageblushingbride_08:
    I think add baking soda helps

https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/8-ways-to-boost-laundry-detergent/

not sure how to make it clicky 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you tried using oxyclean?  I tend to just pre-treat by rinsing and spraying spray and wash on it.  If it's caught in time it typically comes out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I have wasted so much money trying to find a detergent that works as well as Tide! Now I just buy the biggest container they sell at Costco and it seems to last me a while. For my cloth diapers I mix half homemade (equal parts washing soda, baking soda, and Sun brand Oxyclean) and half Tide and it seems to work really well so maybe you could try something like that to cut down the cost?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, Tide has been the only thing that consistently gets out toddler stains here. I pretreat by pouring a little bit directly on the stains.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Were tide users here, i do the pods and if it's really bad i throw in one of the stain booster packets...worth the $$ in my opinon, cheaper than buying new clothes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have started using the newer kirkland brand detergent with the cleanburst, and it works out great.  Usually I'm a tide user as well, but this seems to be working pretty well!
  • Options
    We soak stained clothes in a bucket of water with a little oxyclean (the powder) and then wash with Dreft.  It works every time!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you want smells out, you need enzymes.  That's why Tide works so well.  All works okay, but generally doesn't have enzymes (at least not in the Free & Clear last time I checked).  Target brand now finally has a F&C and it works pretty well.  Granted, I also have routine that I do for DS's clothes so I don't have to pretreat them.  I put in two scoops of Oxyclean (I use the generic), a couple of squirts of Zout and detergent.  Then, I run the washer on the heavy duty stain cycle with an extra rinse and a soak.  It's an 85 minute cycle on my machine.  However, it gets just about everything out (I have a stain that sticks once in a while) and I don't have to fart with pretreating.  
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    I use Resolve/Spray N Wash Stain Stick for stains and I wash with the cheap WindFresh detergent that's sold in huge buckets at Sam's Club for $15. Sometimes I add in some color-safe bleach (any store-brand knockoff of Clorox 2), but I can't say it makes that much of a difference. I pour plain white vinegar into my Downy ball (about 2/3 full) and use that in the rinse instead of fabric softener. It helps remove odors and soap residue and keeps colors bright.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options

Another fan of Oxyclean.  I also soak things in a bucket of the powder mixed with water for a couple of days.  It's gotten out every single stain in 4+ years.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I pretreat with the ultimate cheapy - felsnaptha bar.  Just wet the stain and rub the bar on it, let it sit for 10 minutes (or when I remember it) and then throw it in the washer.  We use All or Kirkland free and clear because we have very sensitive skin.  The bar is the only one that I found did well on bf baby poop.  If I need an extra boost, once in a while I add 1/2 scoop 7th gen oxy powder.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I pretreat with oxyclean, then wash normally.  Oxyclean works like a charm every time.
    image    image   image   image
    DS #1 arrived 10/09/2011
    DS #2 arrived 08/27/2013
    Loving every minute with two sweet boys!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"