Natural Birth

Natural Birth with GD?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with well controlled Gestational Diabetes today at 31 weeks. It is simply modified by diet and excersise and I am still with a midwife.

I had planned on doing a completely natural birth, void of IV's and everything. Is this still possible? I know that if the baby gets big and  need to be induced it is not, but if all goes well and my water breaks naturally, can I still avoid an IV and blood tests?

Thanks in advance for anyone's experience!

Re: Natural Birth with GD?

• I see no reason why it shouldn't be, especially since your midwife sees no reason to transfer you to a different caregiver.  Even if the baby ends up a little bigger you could still do a natural birth if you wanted.  I have two aunts who birthed 8-10 pound babies naturally without any problems.  But it really just depends on what your doctor is comfortable with.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• It's totally possible! Keep up the communication with your midwife!
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • I had GD and the only reason I didn't have a natural birth is because I was coerced into getting an epidural. I did have to have an IV but only because I was GBS+, but I didn't have to have it in the whole time, so that's the only reason you'd really have to "have" an IV...I'm not sure what other blood tests you are talking about...

And FWIW, my son was 7 lb 12oz, which was pretty big considering my body size and DH's body size (although he is overweight, but he was always small). Just eat right and exercise and you'll be fine (since I see that your GD is well controlled without insulin like mine was. I didn't eat very well, and I only exercised when I wanted him to come out haha). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"