September 2012 Moms
Options

It's like 10,000 spoons...

...when all you neeeeed is a knife!!!

So, cooking ladies...I'm in the market for new knives. I have had my set of Farberware knives for about 5 years now and they don't really cut all that great.  I'm not really interested in a block set...moreso, a few new individual knives.  I think my steak knives are still in okay condition.  

We'll be buying a portion of a cow soon and we're growing our own veggies, so we'll be doing a TON of cooking this summer.  I need some allstars in the kitchen. 

So, which knives would make up your perfect arsenal?  Brand, style, length...etc. 

Go! 

also...thanks. Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: It's like 10,000 spoons...

• Options
    It's like meeting the man of your dreams, then meeting his beautiful wife.

I have no knife advice. I'm totally unhelpful but I love that song [well, except that it's all coincidences in a song about irony, but I've gotten over that haha]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is my favorite knife in our kitchen. We have the 7" and I want the 5". https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-4183-7-Classic-7-Inch-Santoku/dp/B00005MEGX/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1367326481&sr=1-2

We have Wusthof Santoku, pearing, and bread knives and everything else is just okay. I use my bread knife to cut tomatoes more often than bread.

My SIL is replacing all her knives with Shun, but those tend to be really pricey. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have cutco knives and I absolutely love them. 

https://www.cutco.com/home.jsp 

They are pricey but they last forever. 

• Options
    imagegingerfamily:

My parents have Cutco.  I do like those.  I'll have to look into the price.  

DH really likes Heinkel (sp?) so I may look into a chef's knife in that for him. 

• Options

https://www.amazon.com/Zwillilng-J-A-Henckels-8-Inch-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00004RFKS

Ha!  Or maybe a butter knife!  I'm not paying $100 for ONE knife.  That's craziness.  That thing better cut FOR me.  lol...

I jest.  I know good knives are worth the money, but I can't spend that right now.  Maybe in a few years. 

• Options
    Henckel knives are the best of the best, but super pricey. They have a huge selection at Williams Sonoma if you want to see them in person, but I wonder if you can get them cheaper online - Amazon or Overstock.com maybe?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Pampered Chef all the way!  A lot of their knives have really great warranties!  I also really like their color coated knives because they are coated so that they do not bruise your fruits and vegetables!  I have the entire set of both and LOVE them.  My husband also really likes them!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    I second Wusthof. Fantastic. Those knives are the only things I miss from my first marriage :D.
  • Options
    UnemUnem member
    This post makes me feel like a failure in the kitchen.  I'm pretty sure I got my knife from Target.

Emilia Antoinette
    10.03.12 at 41w5d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

as someone that was a chef, i suggest Henckels or the wushtok (sp?). When i was on culinary school we got Frederick *** knives, they are great knives but do not hold an edge. I came across some old school F ***'s and they are rusty but amazing at holding an edge.

also when you get the new knives.....never ever put int he dishwasher and just wash off with soap and hot water, never let them soak in hot water. the hot water with dull them. 

also get yourself a sharpener. Dh's dad got us one of those "as seen on tv"sharpeners and it suctions to the counter and puts a great edge on the knives we have.

Good Luck in your search

• Options
    imageNewt69:

as someone that was a chef, i suggest Henckels or the wushtok (sp?). When i was on culinary school we got Frederick *** knives, they are great knives but do not hold an edge. I came across some old school F ***'s and they are rusty but amazing at holding an edge.

also when you get the new knives.....never ever put int he dishwasher and just wash off with soap and hot water, never let them soak in hot water. the hot water with dull them. 

also get yourself a sharpener. Dh's dad got us one of those "as seen on tv"sharpeners and it suctions to the counter and puts a great edge on the knives we have.

Good Luck in your search

I'm dying at the fact that TB edited the names of your knives.    I was wondering what "F****'s* were, but when I quoted you, I could see the unedited version. F Diicks. HA!

• Options

imageUnem:
    This post makes me feel like a failure in the kitchen.  I'm pretty sure I got my knife from Target.

Yeah, my Farberware's came from Walmart.  And, they've been great!  But, they just have hit their time...    I just don't want to buy new knives every five years.  We love to cook so it seems like a worthy investment to me.  But, I'm still not ready to take the plunge into the $100 per knife lake. 

You're probably a hottie in the kitchen, anyway. 

• Options
    I've had a set of Chicago Cutlery knives for 8 years. There pretty nice and not too pricey. My favorite is the 6 inch chef's knife. It's the perfect size for me, not as bulky as the bigger ones. My mom has their santuko knives and they're really nice too.
  • Options

Cutco, Henckels & Wusthof would be my top three recs.

I sold Cutco in college, so I know all about them! My family & I have several pieces & they are really awesome.

We have a Wusthof block. We've had it for 7 years & they're still great. It came with a sharpener. Their customer service is also excellent.

We've had Henckels steak knives for the same amount of time & they're still holding up well.

• Options

imageihearttroy1:
    I've had a set of Chicago Cutlery knives for 8 years. There pretty nice and not too pricey. My favorite is the 6 inch chef's knife. It's the perfect size for me, not as bulky as the bigger ones. My mom has their santuko knives and they're really nice too.

These are what we have too. We started with like crappy Chefmate or something from Target and the difference was amazing. We have the knife block which comes with a sharpener thing. They were from Kohls and around 100 dollars for the whole block. 

• Options

imagewilly_gert:
    Pampered Chef all the way!  A lot of their knives have really great warranties!  I also really like their color coated knives because they are coated so that they do not bruise your fruits and vegetables!  I have the entire set of both and LOVE them.  My husband also really likes them!

I was going to say Pampered Chef, but I'd go for their higher-end line of knives rather than the color-coated (which are good for every day, but won't last as long). We have a mix of Henckels, Cutco and Pampered Chef. They're all great, but Pampered Chef are the most reasonable. Find a consultant, have a party and you can get the knives at a discount too.

• Options
    imagegingerfamily:

This is what we have too... love them!

• Options
    We have three Napa Style ones that are all different lengths of chef's knifes that got handed down to me when Dh started his Shun collection. Those are MUCH nicer. They are a Japanese knife, so they have a different degree that the blade is sharpened to. They are super sharp, hold their edge well, and are comfortable in the hand. They are not a heavy knife if you prefer that feel. They are expensive, but we started with a six piece set from WS that have us three knives, a steel, shears, and the eleven slot block for 400. Those knives are still the most used, although I really like the veggie one too. My mom has been adding to his set for holidays because it makes his present buying easy and he's thrilled.

Edit: We found the same set online from a kitchen store for 329, I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemelody921:

imagewilly_gert:

I was going to say Pampered Chef, but I'd go for their higher-end line of knives rather than the color-coated (which are good for every day, but won't last as long). We have a mix of Henckels, Cutco and Pampered Chef. They're all great, but Pampered Chef are the most reasonable. Find a consultant, have a party and you can get the knives at a discount too.

I might know a guy if you wanted to go that route! 

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    We registered at Crate and Barrel and did Shun. I do have a Wusthof too. Both great. My parents have Cutco and have been very happy with them. I think they have had the same set for close to 20 years, so investing in good knives is worth it.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"