Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

activities for 15 month olds

OK so this may have been addressed on here already but I can't find it, so I'm asking again! My DD seems to be regressing with sleep over the last 2 months and her pedi told me today at her check up that it sounds like she is exerting her independence and control at night and that I should try to give her lots of activities during the day that she controls and tire her out... problem is I feel like I'm totally at a loss! I have lots of toys set up in different parts of the house and she plays very well independently... is there something I'm missing or might try that worked for you? Any tips are welocome :
eliza bopple
Eliza born 1-25-12
Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14

Re: activities for 15 month olds

• We try to do our "exercises" everyday.  This usually includes swimming, running around the library like a maniac, going to the child center at our gym, walks outside (not in the stroller), playdates at the park, etc...I live in a really cold, wintery place so we have to get creative - in fact, my yard is still covered in snow - ugh.  But if we go more than two days w/o leaving the house and getting exercise, his sleep is much, much, much worse.  Playing in the house isn't an option for burning energy like it used to be.

For toys in the house, I have a giant box that I cut openings in and I found several of those pop-up tents that he loves to climb through.  That burns a good amount of energy but getting outside for "real" exercise is our best solution. 

Really, it's no different than what I need to feel and sleep better: exercise and fresh air.

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• imageAA0417:
    My LO gets more worn out when he is running around outside, has playdates, has storytime, etc. Even though he runs around like crazy at home, inside playing with toys and climbing on stuff and everything else, it is nothing compared to when he is outside or with a group of kids.

Yep, this. Go outside and stay out there as long as you can. Even just taking a walk helps make them sleepy. There is something about fresh air... :-)

DD absolutely loves going to the park, playing in the sand, looking at flowers, grass, sticks. Her favorite thing is collecting rocks and putting them in a little plastic basket that she carries around.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks you guys! This really helps! I'm so glad that were finally having nice weather... it will make getting out more doable and fun!
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • I agree with pp about going outside.

During the winter I took DS to an indoor childrens museum. It kept him occupied and he had room to run.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hey....I recently felt like DD was "wandering" around and seemed like she was ignoring her toys....just wanted something more challenging.  It had been too cold outside for much so I started a "curriculum" for her.  It's been a way to be more intentional about my interaction with her.  In a perfect world, each day we do:

a puzzle (usually a chunky Melissa and Doug)

fine motor activity (clothes pins on a basket, pom pom pushing through hole)

sorting (with large colored beads by Melissa and Doug, with my supervision and guidance we sort them into the two colors

art (crayons, etc)

read aloud 20 min a day (while she eats, in the bathtub, etc...sometimes I'll do a story on CD-helps with their language)

Discuss the words she's learnign that week...I let her lead me.  Whatever I see her interested in, I choose maybe 6 words and try and use them frequently throughout the week.  She's a big talker so I really see progress here.

I go through alphabet flash cards and teach her letter sounds (not the names of letters) while she eats breakfast in her high chair.  DD is 16 months and after about 3 weeks of being inconsistent with this she will identify 3 of the 4 sounds I introduced just by seeing my homemade flashcard) 

free play (ride on toys, sand box, water table, walks outside 2x a day)

I also rotate her toys and notice that in general she's way more interested in them. 

In order to get all this started, I began to research Montessori and then used the different areas to put my own spin on things.  Is it Montessori?  FAR from it....but it's something engaging.   

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"