October 2011 Moms

Which is harder?(house related ?)TL;DR

Which would you consider more difficult while pregnant with a toddler(well, and a ten year old, but he is no trouble), selling your current home and buying a bigger one or remodeling you current home to try and accommodate a bigger family?

Our house right now is about 1,400 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Right now we have a playroom in our den, but we are thinking of swapping it with the dining room(which is twice as big) and getting a smaller bistro type table and putting my grandma's big table and hutch in storage for now. Upstairs we have a smallish room that we have shelved for toys and storage that is right next to a big hall closet. I think we could get a 4th bedroom if we knock the wall out, it wouldn't be huge, but fine as a nursery. Our kitchen also needs an overhaul, we need to do that if we sell though too. About 3 years ago we refinanced and  went to 15 yr mortgage. The payments will kill us when we start paying for two kids in dc. If we don't sell we will have to bring it back to a thirty year mortgage anyways.

The other option is to just sell and buy a bigger house in about the same price range(which means it will probably be a little bit of a fixer) and sell our current home. We still have to do some work before selling, a kitchen face lift, some yard work, finishing a few projects, and major decluttering. Dh thinks we can come out ahead on the house, but I am not as optimistic.

I can't decide which seems worse. We could remodel and still feel cramped or we could attempt to sell and realize that we can't sell for what we need to get out of it and find a suitable new house. We have to do something, the current situation will not work with a new baby.

I would appreciate any insight, advice, or personal experience! Sorry, so long! Cookies for everyone who gets through this! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Which is harder?(house related ?)TL;DR

• Both options are difficult; moving sucks azz, but a remodel would cramp your style for a while.

Selling your home would be the biggest factor. With the market right now, how long will it take to sell in your area?

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagemissyishere:
    Both options are difficult; moving sucks azz, but a remodel would cramp your style for a while. Selling your home would be the biggest factor. With the market right now, how long will it take to sell in your area?

It really seems to depend on price.  I would guess six months is average. People seriously suck at staging and putting decent pics online here. I would at least get that right.  I'm scared to sell. It seems like a huge PITA, but I don't want to be crammed in here.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd honestly rather sell if the market is good. Renovations can drag on and on. That's how I ended up applying sticky tiles to my kitchen floor at 39 weeks. 
  • Based on the market here, moving. I can't imagine being close to third tri keeping the house spotless and show ready or packing and moving or the stress of trying to close on 2 houses. What do you do if you're 8 months pregnant and the house your selling closes before the new house? This happened to a friend of ours not that long ago and she had to move into someone's house with a new baby post csection for a couple weeks, they were all cramped into one room and all their crap was in storage.

ETA: do you like your house and neighborhood? It sounds like you'd end up remodeling your kitchen now and doing some renos on the new house so if you don't hate where you live IMO it makes more sense to stay and do one reno.
  • We are in the same boat. Our problem is the market here is moving very fast. A house gets listed on Friday and is sold by Monday with multiple bids. You don't even have time to really think through the process. 

I am dreading a remodel. Though it would make the house function better for us, what we really want is a bigger yard, and no remodel can fix that.

ETA: I was gone all week so I missed your BFP announcement! Congrats! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageAA0417:
    First of all, does the storage room have a window? I know IA doesn't have statewide codes, so I don't know what, if any, codes you would need to comply with, but in WI, a room must have a window to be a legal bedroom. The window must also be a certain size relative to the size of the room, and it must be sized for exiting purposes if it is on the second floor without 2 exits from that floor. Aside from that potential concern, that project doesn't sound unreasonable at all. If you are doing the other projects regardless, then both selling and remodeling seem very doable. It is then a matter of which would be best for your family's comfort in terms of both finances and space. Also keep in mind that if you find a bigger house that isn't in as good of shape as you have, you'll need to consider the time and money into fixing the important things in that house. If you want any specific input, fell free to let me know because I deal with all of that type of stuff for my profession.

The storage room has five large windows, it is more like a sun room on the back of  the house. We just use it for storage. It would not have a closet though, but neither does my older ds's room. Our house is 100+ years old. 

I understand what you are saying about having to remodel a new home, but if it was bigger than our current home I feel  like it woud be more worthwhile. It would be a home we could live with before remodel, not a complete gut job.   

• imagecantalopes24:
    Based on the market here, moving. I can't imagine being close to third tri keeping the house spotless and show ready or packing and moving or the stress of trying to close on 2 houses. What do you do if you're 8 months pregnant and the house your selling closes before the new house? This happened to a friend of ours not that long ago and she had to move into someone's house with a new baby post csection for a couple weeks, they were all cramped into one room and all their crap was in storage. ETA: do you like your house and neighborhood? It sounds like you'd end up remodeling your kitchen now and doing some renos on the new house so if you don't hate where you live IMO it makes more sense to stay and do one reno.

I do like our neighborhood. We are walking distance to school, elementary, middle, and high school, and we are six blocks from J's dad and a block from my mom. If wr moved we wouldn't go far though.

I do like our house, we just need more room. Dh hates  because it doesn't have a garage. We have off street parking, so I could care less.  Selling while pregnant scares the sh!t out of me.  

• imageStewartandmaura:

We are in the same boat. Our problem is the market here is moving very fast. A house gets listed on Friday and is sold by Monday with multiple bids. You don't even have time to really think through the process. 

I am dreading a remodel. Though it would make the house function better for us, what we really want is a bigger yard, and no remodel can fix that.

Yeah, that's where we are.  We would like to stay, but there are things we can't change with a remodel. Our market is the opposite, not fast at all. 

• I went through the house selling while PG with Vi that sucked andI'm going through renovations now. 

I don't think your renovations sound too bad, yet I agrr with other renovation can take forever and cost twice as much as you think.  Our bathroom was suppose to be done right now and we have not even began tiling.   The kitchen face lift, what does that entail?

I guess at some point in time you would like to move, I would just do it now.(if you can at least break even)  It will just be harder to move after three kids.  Do the least amount of fix ups as possible and move.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • We remodeled during my third trimester. I cannot imagine having a toddler on top of that. It was way more stressful trying to live in the construction zone, than boxing up our stuff and moving. Really because I was so pregnant, that everyone else would have been moving for me, I wouldn't have done a lot of the moving.

I would put it on the market and go from there. If it sells, then move. If it doesn't, then remodel. But thinking ahead, if you feel you are going to be cramped in there by the time J is older, C is 3, and baby is almost one and mobile.....I would move.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • imagepennysuedog:

I went through the house selling while PG with Vi that sucked andI'm going through renovations now. 

I don't think your renovations sound too bad, yet I agrr with other renovation can take forever and cost twice as much as you think.  Our bathroom was suppose to be done right now and we have not even began tiling.   The kitchen face lift, what does that entail?

I guess at some point in time you would like to move, I would just do it now.(if you can at least break even)  It will just be harder to move after three kids.  Do the least amount of fix ups as possible and move.

If we going to sell we will just paint cabinets, change hardware, paint the walls, and put in new laminate counters(the ones we has right now are old yellow laminate painted pink, gag). If we stay we want to move appliances around(when we put in the second bath we had them do the wiring and plumbing for the new placement) and move a few cabinets  to get a breakfast bar area.

• That's a tough call.  My sister is remodeling her house, and she has to move out for at least 6 months.  She also had to move everything out of the house as well, so it's basically like moving.  If after remodeling, you still think it's going to be cramped, I'd probably try and sell the house and find a new one that doesn't need any additional work.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would have a realtor or two come in, and ask what you should do before listing, and also what they think the house should go for. That will give you a more realistic idea of what it would take to get you out of your house. 

Interest rates are crazy low. Our rate on our new house is 3.25%. If you take advantage of the great rates, and moving to a 30 year, your monthly payments should go down considerably.

I would much rather move or reno while pregnant. It's easy to care for a baby when it's inside of you- once they come out, everything is harder, lol.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"