Parenting after 35

"Surprise" pregnancy!

Hi!

I'm 'only' 34 & 1/2 but I'd like to connect with other almost-mid-life moms who might be able to relate to how I'm feeling.  I am a homeschooling mom to 3 children - ages 10, 6, & 5.

I just took a pregnancy test yesterday, and was shocked to see that it was positive!  I was under the assumption that I couldn't have any more children. I had an ovary removed b/c of a fibroid tumor, and I have severe scar tissue. After our youngest was born (nearly 6 years ago!) my Dr. told me that I was so riddled with scar tissue that she didn't know how I was ever able to get pregnant. 

My 3 kids have entered a 'big kid' phase of life, and I have embraced it. For the first time in 10 years, I've been able to take walks by myself. Having a baby was the last thing on my mind. We've also moved several times in the last few years, and we've completely gotten rid of everything baby related.. I have absolutely nothing. 

I believe that children are gifts from God, and I know that I'm going to be very thankful for this miracle - but right now I am just really kind of terrified. 

Re: "Surprise" pregnancy!

• Hi - at 39 1/2 I found myself in a similar position.  I had a 13 1/2 year son who was in 8th grade.  I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in child-rearing, DH & I were making our 5 year career plans based on this.  Then I went to the doctor with a stomachache and found out that I was 22 weeks pregnant.  

I had nothing baby related - not even a onesie.  I was terrified at first.  The day after I found out I went to a store just to buy a sleeper- just so I would have something for this little guy in my possession.    But after a week I finally settled in and made the mad dash to get everything together for our new blessing.  Plus so many things had changed between number 1 & number 2.  

Now over 2 years later I can't imagine our family without this little guy.  Yes, I've had to alter my career plans (drastically) but he is so worth it.

Best wishes to you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats on your pregnancy! I am sure you will adjust to the idea of being pregnant and having another LO once you get over the shock of it all. Like people say, you have 9 mos to prepare yourself, and by then I am sure everything will work out great. Best of wishes to you.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome and congratulations!  

37 here with one son (~18 months).

I think it is completely normal to have mixed feelings about any pregnancy, especially considering you weren't expecting another little one at all!

You have a good, kind home here.  You may also consider posting on the Pregnant After 35 board if you haven't already.  Very supportive ladies over there as well and because I'm a creepy lurker, I know there are at least two women who are going through very similar situations to yours:) 

Again, Welcome! 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Thank you for sharing your experience & for the warm welcome.

:)

• Congrats! But "almost middle aged moms?!?!" Bite your tongue Stick out tongue
  • imagestever:
    Congrats! But "almost middle aged moms?!?!" Bite your tongue Stick out tongue
    No kidding, right?! I consider my mil middle aged. Not me! 

Lol, welcome and congrats OP. 

• Hi - I totally understand where you are coming from.  I told anyone and everyone I was DONE having kids - and then got pregnant.  I had L three weeks before my 39th birthday and my big girls were 7 and 10.  I was not happy about the pregancy at all - I was worried about #1 surviving it - I had a history of serious complications and #2 Financial - really, really crappy insurance and work was not nice to sick or pregant employees.

It worked out, although even now, on occasion I think about how old I'll be when L is in high school - but you're a lot younger than me.

Your big kids will be a big help.  Your "surprise" will help to keep you young - my mom still reminds me of this as I was her "surprise".  And remember, it was God's plan - every now and then I still have a little tantrum - but I think about how it IS God's plan and our lives are so much richer with our newest little girl.

Oh - and I scheduled having my tubes tied when I was 30 weeks pregant - so that exactly 6 weeks post partum - I was happily sterilized - LOL!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"