Babies: 9 - 12 Months

1st Birthday Gifts -- To open to not?

How many of you plan on opening gifts at the party?

I feel like my LO is going to be so overwhelmed... She may just break down in the middle of it. Would it be okay to open gifts after the party ends? 

Re: 1st Birthday Gifts -- To open to not?

• I'm wondering the same thing. The past two parties I've been to have not opened gifts, but when I was little that's what you did at a party, but then again I wasn't going to chuck e cheese, or having adults at a party.
  • We weren't planning to, but the ILs asked that we open theirs because they had to leave, so we ended up just opening all of them since everyone was already sitting around watching.  We didn't have that many, though.  More than a dozen gifts might get tiring for LO and for guests.
    Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• Loading the player...
  • We will probably open. However, we are Having a relatively small party so there won't be a ton for her to open. If she starts getting overwhelmed we will just stop. I don't think there is anything wrong with opening them at a later time if that's what you want to do, though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was wondering this, too... It would be my preference not to open but I think etiquette says open.  DS's party is only 3 hours long and I know people will come late/leave early so I don't know.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• We will open the presents at the party, since that is what the mom's have done at all the other parties I have been to.  It's appropriate with all my besties there :)  They are my family since I have no family that will show.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi! I would think it'd be fine to open later buy I'm wondering where you're having her party? I know we are from the same area and we are trying to figure out where to have DS's party. I am thinking it will end up being at our house although I'd rather go somewhere.
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• We aren't having a party but I think it's totally ok to open them after.  I wouldn't open anyone's there because someone is sure to feel slighted if theirs aren't chosen. You may want to tell people that you aren't going to open them in case some had planned on hanging around for it.
  • I just got back from a first birthday a couple hours ago. The present opening was too much! The baby was screaming cause they wanted to play, the other kids were antsy to play together again, and it too forever. I think it would be ok to open after. Thats my plan now!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageUMichGirl:
    Hi! I would think it'd be fine to open later buy I'm wondering where you're having her party? I know we are from the same area and we are trying to figure out where to have DS's party. I am thinking it will end up being at our house although I'd rather go somewhere.

It's at our house. We have a very large backyard that opens up onto a park. 

• We opened gifts at DD's party.

The first few we helped with and let her rip off the paper, but after a couple she got bored and we opened the rest for her.

We didn't have any real activities at her party, so all there was to do was eat and open gifts. I felt like it kind of wrapped up the whole thing so people knew it was pretty much over without us having to say anything, also.

• We will open gifts at the party. I think people like to watch him ripping the paper open and see his/our reactions to the gifts as well. Our party will be fairly small though (10-12 people max) so watching him open presents and eat cake will be the main activities. If you're having a big party I think it should be okay to open them later. Maybe let people know you'll be opening them afterwards so they don't hang around waiting for gift opening like a pp suggested. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • with DD we waited till after her nap and just with family.  People really don't want to sit and watch that.  It takes up too much time away from party. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We had my daughter's birthday today.  And we opened her gifts after we sang Happy Birthday.  It was fun to be able to acknowledge everyone for their gifts personally and hold up the gift to my daughter.  Some gifts just made my daughter smile. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Not.

We are having a big ol' party and can't imagine DD, myself, or any of the other lil kids sitting still for the entire thing.  We have a small art project for the kids and a big back yard.  We will open her gifts after or the following day with her.   

• I know for us DS probably won't open the gifts, he would rather play with things after I open the gifts. The last party I went to the gifts were opened, and the birthday girl just played and had a good time while her Mom opened them all. I think it is only proper to open them at the party, but that is just me. I like to see their reaction when they see what I've bought them. :)
  • imageBabybear70:
    I know for us DS probably won't open the gifts, he would rather play with things after I open the gifts. The last party I went to the gifts were opened, and the birthday girl just played and had a good time while her Mom opened them all. I think it is only proper to open them at the party, but that is just me. I like to see their reaction when they see what I've bought them. :)

I totally agree with this.  We did the same for DD.

We will open them for DS since he most likely will not be able to.  We will then show him each one and thank the person.

I would be really mad if I went to a party and the gifts were not opened.

Even though its not fun to watch them all be opened if you are a guest..it is just part of a party.

BUT that is just my opinion :-D 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Personally I'd be upset if I didn't get to see my gift be opened. If she loses interest give her a toy and you finish opening the rest without her
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"