September 2011 Moms
Options

Summer shoes -WDYT?

I've been on a goose chase looking for summer shoes for DD for the past month.  Yesterday, DH and I were out and about without her for a little while, and so we went shopping.  He didn't like any of the shoes I had been considering from Target for her, and we just didn't love most of the options that we saw at the mall.  I can't stand all the frilly, super girly sandals I see everywhere.

DD's summer wardrobe is pretty much all dresses, all the time.  Last summer, she couldn't walk, and so she didn't wear shoes.  Done.  Toward the end of summer, beginning of fall, she had a pair of my niece's old crocs that she wore if we were out somewhere that she's be walking, and then it was fall and she just wore socks and sneakers all the time.  But summer is coming, and I'm not going to make her wear socks all summer.

I'm almost ready to give in and spend the money on Keens, but will they look silly with dresses?  What about Tevas?  Are open toe sandals okay for toddlers?  These are the two I was just looking at:

Tevas:

Keens:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Summer shoes -WDYT?

• Options

Open toed sandals are fine for a toddler as long as they fit well. Whether or not any sandal will look silly with a dress depends on the sandal :) I'm assuming you mean cotton play dresses, so I think you can do a casual sandal like the Keens or Tevas. If you want a slightly less expensive option, we got DD1 some sporty sandals from Carters last summer. Similar to these:

https://www.carters.com/carters/Open-Toe-Sandal/V_CS13-201,default,pd.html?dwvar_V__CS13-201_color=Purple&cgid=carters-toddler-girl-shoes-sandals&start=

ETA: Sorry hit post too soon. I meant to add they held up really well and seemed really comfortable for her. She could wear them walking around the zoo all day without complaining her feet hurt. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I saw those exact Carters ones at a store yesterday, and that's pretty much what I'm looking for, but we didn't like the color.  I see on the Carter's website that they also have something like them in white, too.  maybe I'll go check them out.  I found the Keens that I posted for $35 from shoes.com, and I might just order them.

Most of her dresses are just simple cotton play dresses, yes.  Some are a little dressier than the cotton ones Carter's sells, but still just everyday play dresses. If we had any events or anything to go to, I would put her in a nicer dress with proper dressy shoes, but I just need something for her to wear day to day all summer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have both the Keene and teevas and love them! I got Bo's at Nordstrom for 35 bucks.

Have you looked at a crocs store? They have a ton of really cute different shoes for toddlers.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagebecasmeca:
    We have both the Keene and teevas and love them! I got Bo's at Nordstrom for 35 bucks. Have you looked at a crocs store? They have a ton of really cute different shoes for toddlers.

We tried Nordstrom Rack yesterday, but they didn't have anything we liked in her size - in other sizes, of course, but not for her.

There is an outlet mall nearby that has a croc outlet and a few others that I haven't tried yet . . . Maybe I should wait and head up there this weekend.  Thanks for the ideas!

• Options

I wouldn't do open toed shoes at this point.  But my nearly 6 year old has only had one pair of open toed sandals and he destroyed them by scuffing the toes in less than a month, so...

I think this type is cute... https://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530399SR&subCatId=cat1530652SR&showDefaultOption=true&stockNumber=BG45505&skuId=***8********BG45505*M065&productId=8-136511& and would work with dresses.  (I like it in either color scheme, you might like the brighter one if you think the white and flowers is too girly).

Catherine has a plain pair of white sandals, and a pair of cream and pink mary jane type shoes that she wears sans socks when it is warm enough.   

ETA:  and definitely hit up the Stride Rite outlet if one is near you and you want SR shoes.  Great prices.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    L has a pair similar to the Keenes (they are all white and closed toe) and she wears them with dresses and pants/shorts.  She also has a pair of dressier looking open toed ones for dresses.  The open toed ones are pretty much for church only!  They make me a little nervous.

• Options
    imageprism207:

I wouldn't do open toed shoes at this point.  But my nearly 6 year old has only had one pair of open toed sandals and he destroyed them by scuffing the toes in less than a month, so...

I think this type is cute... https://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530399SR&subCatId=cat1530652SR&showDefaultOption=true&stockNumber=BG45505&skuId=***8********BG45505*M065&productId=8-136511& and would work with dresses.  (I like it in either color scheme, you might like the brighter one if you think the white and flowers is too girly).

Catherine has a plain pair of white sandals, and a pair of cream and pink mary jane type shoes that she wears sans socks when it is warm enough.   

ETA:  and definitely hit up the Stride Rite outlet if one is near you and you want SR shoes.  Great prices.   

Those are pretty cute.  I like them.  Target had some cute canvas boat shoe type shoes that I really liked, too, but DH wasn't a fan.  He's pretty fixed on sandals, I think.  These were the ones I liked from Target:

image image

• Options
    We got a pair that are similar to the Keens, as i athletic, open, but with closed toes. I also got a pair of white closed toed sandals, the classic leather ones. We don't do a lot of dresses, but either could work, depending on what the dress looked like. I'm not comfortable with open toed at this point, she still trips on the regular, and I want to protect those tootsies.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    aveehaveeh member
  • Options
    J wouldn't be able to wear either style at daycare, because of mulch outside.  He does have a pair in the Keens style that we got at Stride Rite to wear on the weekends and such.  We also got some hand-me-down crocs from SIL, and he LOVES them.  He can put them on himself (as long as he guesses the right foot).
  • Options
    Admittedly B has way too many shoes for summer. She can't wear open toed shoes or sandals at daycare. I got her a pair of sturdier sneakers, two pair of canvas shoes and a pair of white fisherman sandals that she can wear with dresses. All are from Target or Walmart. She's only been averaging a few months in one size, so I don't find it worth the money to get her expensive shoes to play in and get dirty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"