3rd Trimester

depressed about weight gain

I've gained 40lbs now and my midwife today said, "what have you been eating?!" and honestly, i've been eating healthy AND doing long walks every day that the weather permits. ever since i started back on my anxiety meds 2 months ago, the weight has just piled on. i know when i see my OB in 2 weeks I am going to get scolded. i'm so down in the dumps. just needed to vent. 
Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: depressed about weight gain

• I am up about 34 lbs and I am only 26 weeks. I usually gain 40lbs as I am underweight slightly prepreg..but this is a bit ridiculous. I actually know I am eating a ton though. My choices aren't terrible but I am RAVENOUSLY hungry every 1.5 - 2 hours. Like, an apple or a cheesestick isn't gonna touch my hunger. I need a full meal every 2 hours or so so not feel b!tchy hungry. It sucks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Im not sure how much I have gained but I know one month I some how gained 10 lbs so I was really worried and my doctor went on and on. Now I had an ultrasound that next week and the baby had a growth spurt. Remember that not only the baby grow but the placenta does and you start retaining water. So it can be lots of things. Just do the best you can.
  • Loading the player...
  • Does your midwife know about the anxiety meds? It sounds like some of your weight gain could be a side-effect, and that's something that she should be managing along with the prescribing doctor, not just scolding you for!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegulickr:
    Does your midwife know about the anxiety meds? It sounds like some of your weight gain could be a side-effect, and that's something that she should be managing along with the prescribing doctor, not just scolding you for!

She is actually the one who prescribed them, believe it or not! My husband thinks it is definitely playing a roll in the weight gain. Bc literally, ever since I started them...they started packing on and my diet hasn't changed since before i took them. Just frustrating. 

Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagejillianjigs7:

imagegulickr:
    Does your midwife know about the anxiety meds? It sounds like some of your weight gain could be a side-effect, and that's something that she should be managing along with the prescribing doctor, not just scolding you for!

She is actually the one who prescribed them, believe it or not! My husband thinks it is definitely playing a roll in the weight gain. Bc literally, ever since I started them...they started packing on and my diet hasn't changed since before i took them. Just frustrating. 

I'd definitely bring that up...I'm sorry this is stressing you out! Maybe keep a food diary for a couple of days, so she can see what you're eating, and use that to start a conversation re: the possible side effects of the meds? Hugs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegulickr:
    imagejillianjigs7:

imagegulickr:

I'd definitely bring that up...I'm sorry this is stressing you out! Maybe keep a food diary for a couple of days, so she can see what you're eating, and use that to start a conversation re: the possible side effects of the meds? Hugs!

Great idea about keeping a food diary. That may help ease my worries about seeing the main Dr. in 2 weeks. Thanks! 

• I wouldn't worry about it. I have had many people tell me they gained 50 pounds during their pregnancy and while obviously it is not ideal I don't think you are harming the baby in any way and obviously you have enough anxiety and things to think about that I would not stress this. I don't think your midwife should be scolding you about it either.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't worry about it either. I'm one of those people who gained 50 lbs. with each of my other 2 pregnancies. I also lost all 50 lbs. afterwards. So I was prepared to gain 50 this time, but I estimate it'll be 30-35 total as I'm up 18 lbs. now. You only have a few more weeks to go so you can't possibly gain too much more. Maybe you can set a goal of how much more to gain and keep to it. Otherwise enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy and be prepared to get moving this year. 

• imagefklang:
    I wouldn't worry about it either. I'm one of those people who gained 50 lbs. with each of my other 2 pregnancies. I also lost all 50 lbs. afterwards. So I was prepared to gain 50 this time, but I estimate it'll be 30-35 total as I'm up 18 lbs. now. You only have a few more weeks to go so you can't possibly gain too much more. Maybe you can set a goal of how much more to gain and keep to it. Otherwise enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy and be prepared to get moving this year. 

Thanks. With DD I gained 55lbs and lost it all too. I definitely don't want to have anxiety over this - but I'll try shooting for a goal and sticking to it. Just so frustrating - but glad I have you girls to vent my frustrations to! 

• I gained 40 lbs my first pregnancy, but it included a lot of fluid. I did manage to lose 50 lbs within about 8 months. You're supposed to gain weight during pregnancy. Don't let anyone get you down. Ignore the scolding, that's what I do. I'm up almost 30 lbs already, not thrilled, but it is what it is. I'm active since I have a 2 year old to run after, it just is. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At my first OB visit my doctor told me she gained 50 lbs with her pregnancies, and that I shouldn't do that. I ended up gaining 50 lbs in each of my first 2 pregnancies. I ate healthy and exercised, but I was constantly starving and just ate a lot. My OB never mentioned my weight gain, and after delivery my appetite went back to normal and the weight came off within 6 months without much effort. This pregnancy is different and I'm not as hungry, and my weight gain is where it should be. Some doctors stress the weight issue more than others. If you're eating healthy and exercising, I wouldn't stress about the number too much. The meds might be a factor, but in the end you have to just do the best you can. Hopefully your doctor will be understanding.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do not worry! I gained 60 pounds with my first and am well on my way to that with my second. I must have a great OB as I've never been scolded.
  • Don't worry about it! I don't even look at the scale when I go into the OB office anymore. This is my first baby, but a lot of my gfs mentioned fluid retention plays a big part in weight gain and you may just be one of those women that is holding a lot of fluid. Hugs!!! Smile
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"