Health & Exercise

3rd tri runners

I'm just curious what other runners are doing during the 3rd tri.  I ran up to the day I went into labor with DS#1, but I was also mixing it up with walking and the elliptical, so wasn't doing too many miles/week.  This time around, I'm only running.  I'm taking it pretty easy at this point and have gotten into a routine lately of 5 miles every other day.  Unless something changes or I start getting uncomfortable, I imagine I'll keep this up till the end.  I remember doing a 4-miler right before DS was born.  

My doctor is very supportive of running till the end as long as I am feeling good and the pregnancy is going smoothly.  Everyone else I know, however, thinks I need to stop ASAP.  They think I am going to harm the baby or put myself into early labor.  Well not DH - he actually asked me why I'm not doing speedwork and wanted me to do an 8-mile trail race at 36 weeks.

Anyway, I know some of you are running even more.  I'd love to hear how it's going and how you deal with critical people.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 3rd tri runners

• I'm still running, and for the most part everyone has been supportive. My beyotch MIL is the exception to that. My OB has even given me the go-ahead to do longer distances.

In addition to being just a lot slower, overall, I started doing run/walk intervals last month. I'm now doing 3 minutes running and 3 minutes walking and it's working out well for me. I think that's the only reason I'm still going.

I'm definitely not trail running. I'm unstable enough on my feet, as it is.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • I'm not yet but I hope to be! I wasn't a runner during my previous pregnancies but I hope to keep going as long as possible with this one. I'm already slower and the constant nausea makes everything hard. But I'm not a distance runner by any means - I'm still mostly a gym person who runs 2-3 times a week, 3-4 miles at most.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not currently pregnant, but with DS, I ran until I was 36 weeks.  I was running 20-30 miles per week.  I had to stop because it started to hurt (ligament pain).  Other than running, I rode my bike a lot on the indoor trainer, swam and did the elliptical (after I stopped running).

If/when I get pregnant again, I will run as long as I can.  I think exercise really helped with labor and delivery as well as getting my body back into shape ASAP.  I was below my pre-preg weight at 3 weeks PP.  I was also running again at 3 weeks PP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemrs.mastro:

My doctor is very supportive of running till the end as long as I am feeling good and the pregnancy is going smoothly.  Everyone else I know, however, thinks I need to stop ASAP.  They think I am going to harm the baby or put myself into early labor. 

This seems silly to me because I ran up until the day I was induced.  I was hoping all that running would help with labor, but the day I was induced I was 0% effaced and 0% dilated and my cervix was as long as the Lincoln tunnel. 

I wasn't putting in the mileage you were though, just because I got so slow.  I was doing 2 miles a day during the week before work, and 3-4 miles on Saturdays and Sunday. (so 17 miles a week?) 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageargonne:

I think exercise really helped with labor and delivery as well as getting my body back into shape ASAP.  I was below my pre-preg weight at 3 weeks PP.  I was also running again at 3 weeks PP.

Same with me with DS#1.  He was small and I didn't need a stitch, so it was really easy to get back to running right away which was great.  And that combined with BFing took the baby weight off in no time.  I just hope I can find the time to run with a newborn and a 3yo to manage! 

• imagejerseygirl81:

I'm still running, and for the most part everyone has been supportive. My beyotch MIL is the exception to that.  

My MIL has been convinced running has been ruining my ovaries/uterus/babies since I met her 10 years ago! 

• imagemrs.mastro:
    imagejerseygirl81:

I'm still running, and for the most part everyone has been supportive. My beyotch MIL is the exception to that.  

My MIL has been convinced running has been ruining my ovaries/uterus/babies since I met her 10 years ago! 

We announced our pregnancy at 13 weeks and she was HORRIFIED that I was still running. She actually had the balls to say that I was going to kill our baby.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • Listen to your doctor!  If your doctor says it's ok then it's ok.

I had a bleeding scare in my first trimester and got really spooked and stopped running and it's been my biggest regret through my pregnancy.  I took too much time off and by the time I tried to get back on the running horse it was extremely painful.  Now I am relegated to the eliptical trainer 4-5x a week but it's not the same, I'm also going to probably have to return to running as a beginning in the fall after my son comes.  My rate of gain has been on the higher end (looking at probably gaining the full 35 pounds when all is said and done unfortunately) and I think that if I had kept up with running it would be less.

I just don't engage with people who give me unsolicited advice.  It sucks but it's no use arguing with people who refuse to understand the benefits of exercise on mom and baby.  People at the gym give me funny looks, ask if I'm ok, and if I'm sure I want to be doing this "in my condition" and I just shrug it off.   

• imagejerseygirl81:
    imagemrs.mastro:
    imagejerseygirl81:

We announced our pregnancy at 13 weeks and she was HORRIFIED that I was still running. She actually had the balls to say that I was going to kill our baby.

Mine says "there is nothing more ridiculous than a pregnant woman at the gym."   

• imagetrudibell:
    imagejerseygirl81:
    imagemrs.mastro:
    imagejerseygirl81:

I'm regularly tempted to email her pics of me working out. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

FWIW, I'm probably going to end up gaining the full 35, even with running 3x/week and weightlifting sessions. I'm eating better and staying more active than I did with my first, but I'm going to gain more weight. Go figure.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • imagejerseygirl81:
    imagemrs.mastro:
    imagejerseygirl81:

I would have flipped if my MIL said that, how rude! 

I came to this board to see what you guys had to say because I used to run (before my BFP) but started to spot around week 10. The doctor recommended that I take it easy, so I have just been walking for an hour each day on the treadmill, I miss running like crazy and cant wait to get back to it!

• I am almost 34 weeks and still running at least a few days a week. Definitely slower, but hoping to keep it up until I deliver!

there is also a great group on FB. It is Moms Run This Town geared towards pregos and nursing moms :) 

• imagejenbschreck:

I am almost 34 weeks and still running at least a few days a week. Definitely slower, but hoping to keep it up until I deliver!

there is also a great group on FB. It is Moms Run This Town geared towards pregos and nursing moms :) 

Yes! If you have a local chapter, join that one, too! I'm so glad I found this group.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • imagetrudibell:
    imagejerseygirl81:
    imagemrs.mastro:
    imagejerseygirl81:

Late to this post. I took a Boot Camp class several times a week and ran until the bitter end. I was at the gym for class 3 days before I delivered. Everyone at the gym knows me and asks about the baby.  People tell me I was/am an inspiration, not ridiculous.

My OB was on board with my work outs and I felt great so I just kept going. My MIL and grandparents questioned me working out every time I talked to them and I just said my OB is on board so I am trusting her medical degree. That stopped the convo. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Do you all run with a pregancy support belt?  I had to quit running at 4-5 months with my first two b/c of preterm contractions.  I can't imagine running with the pressure at the end.  I'd like to make it all the way with this pregnancy if I can though!
  • Good to know - thanks!  I am hoping to run this entire pregnancy, esp. since I'm not having a summer baby this go round.  Will have to look at support belts.
  • imagecare99:
    Do you all run with a pregancy support belt?  I had to quit running at 4-5 months with my first two b/c of preterm contractions.  I can't imagine running with the pressure at the end.  I'd like to make it all the way with this pregnancy if I can though!

I do, I ended up getting one from Gabriella that was pretty highly recommended on some of the mom running blogs I follow. I have this one.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"