Natural Birth
Options

birth plan to include preemie issues?

I'm not sure if this should go here, on the preemie board, or elsewhere.... so I'll start here. :-)  But has anyone written a birth plan (or know of birth plans) that include a section on premature birth wishes?  While I *may* last up to 36 weeks pregnant, my doctor has forewarned me to prepare to go into labor between 30-36 weeks.  Before I knew any of this would be my journey, I'd intended on writing a birth plan.  But a lot of my original wishes may now be obsolete. (Such as exclusive breast feeding.)  Does anyone have experience on what types of issues or choices for preemie babies that would be good to write out in a birth plan?

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

Re: birth plan to include preemie issues?

• Options

Maybe contact an LC and see what things you need to prepare for BF a preemie? Things like making sure the hospital knows you'll need a breast pump right away, etc.

I would post this on the Preemie board, too! They might be able to give you better tips. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I had my first son at 36 weeks and had wonderful support from the nurses.

He wasnt able to be handed directly to me after delivery as they needed to evalutate him and make sure he was breathing properly. He was so I had him back within 10 minutes. I was able to nurse then but he was very very sleepy and had a lot of problems latching, even using a shield. The LC ended up bringing in a pump to use. I ended up switching to formula because his jaundice levels were getting very high and his weigh was dropping big time he was only 5.3 when he was born so we didn't have a lot of wiggle room, it was my choice completely, it was never even mentioned by the hospital but I didn't want my son re admitted. I'm positive we could have had a successful BFing relationship but honestly, it just wasn't something I felt strongly about.

We did have to spend several days on the Bili blanket but thankfully his level came down and weight started going up!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I would write out your full birth plan of what your ideal situation would be if you went to term.  Then bring this and talk to your OB and go over each item.  For the things they say are a no go, I'd ask why (in a non confrontational way) so that you understand and can possibly suggest an alternate.  So, for example, if they say no to a delayed cord clamping because they need to evaluate the baby immediately I'd ask if they can do first evaluations while the baby is on your chest.  Depending on how old the baby is and the conditions of the birth it still may not be possible, but then they know it's your desire.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming arrival and fingers crossed baby is able to stay in for quite a bit longer. I'm a NICU RN, so hopefully I can have some helpful insight. As far as the actual labor and delivery, I'm guessing you will be on continuous monitors to make sure baby tolerates labor, but otherwise it should be the same as a term delivery. There will be a NICU team at the delivery and they will likely need to assess baby right away (depends on gestation and how vigorous baby is). Now, the differences in what a 32 vs. 36 weeker needs are so broad, I won't bog you down with all of those details. There certainly are challenges forbreastfeeding, but you will also have a huge amount of support and guidance available between the nursing staff and lactation consultants. I would suggest calling the hospital and request a tour of the NICU where you can ask the staff and neonatologists questions about the care your baby will likely need. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"