Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Tell me about your tummy time routines

We have been doing tummy time for the past few weeks everyday and our LO hates it!  Our Dr told us to do it 10-15 every time she was awake.  After a minute or 2 she starts crying and continues until I pick her up.  I use to pick her up after 3-4 minutes of crying, but the dr says that she needs to be down for longer and it is not an enjoyable time for anyone.  :)

So...

How long/often do you do tummy time?

Do you do it before and after feedings?

And how long did it take you little one to enjoy it?

Re: Tell me about your tummy time routines

• I don't leave her down often. She gets neck control practice when she's in the sleepy wrap and when she lays on my tummy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    With DS it varies. Sometimes it's 5 min sometimes as much as 10 min. He doesn't lift his just turns it sometimes and I pick him up or turn him over when he starts crying. I usually do it after a feeding and clean diaper. I start him out on his back so if he decides to spit up I can see it. He does this for 10 to 15 min then goes on his tummy.

We do tummy time a lot longer on our chest. He will lift his head then and tolerates it more. That time counts as tummy time too.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Um..is there something wrong with my baby that she has been able to lift head since day four and turn it back and forth lol I feel like she has been incredibly strong since she came home
  • If you wear your baby in a carrier that counts as tummy time.
  • imagejaime52005:
    Um..is there something wrong with my baby that she has been able to lift head since day four and turn it back and forth lol I feel like she has been incredibly strong since she came home

This is our 6 week old. He has ridiculous head control and neck strength. I had a c section and didn't get to see him until 3 hours after he was born and I am not kidding when I tell you that at 3 hours old he was lifing his head up while on my chest. But we try to do tummy time after he eats. Mostly because it's fun to watch. Our pedi said to leave him down for as long a he will tolerate it.
  • -If my son could do tummy time 24/7 he would, but usually I will vary tummy time from an hour a day up to a few hours.

-I do it after feedings usually, it helps him burp more and poop.

-When he fusses on his stomach I give him a pacifier, but if that doesn't sooth him, I will burp him, if he is still fussy then that usually means he is done with tummy time and wants to be held/fed.

He is almost 4 weeks. We have done tummy time since day one, so that may be why he is used to it and can tolerate it for longer periods. Might take some getting used to for young ones who start off weeks later.

• Mine has had neck control since day 2. During tummy time in the hospital she could pick her head up and turn it to the other side.

Now at 7 weeks he holds her head up while on her tummy and when being held she can hold it up and look around.

I was told to stop tummy time when baby starts to cry.  Just keep trying multiple times a day.

Mine happens to love tummy time so I don't really worry about timing it.  She spends a fair bit of time on our chest or in a wrap so has plenty of time off her head.  As well, I usually give her a daytime nap on her belly on the floor while I am nearby.

If the standard tummy time isn't working find some other ways to keep baby off his head.

• imagejaime52005:
    Um..is there something wrong with my baby that she has been able to lift head since day four and turn it back and forth lol I feel like she has been incredibly strong since she came home

This is my DD. she has always lifted and held her head and can push off her legs and hold it. If we put our knees up on the couch and her resting in a sitting position but laid back a little, she will try to sit herself up more. She is only 4 weeks old. It's crazy. She is moving along so fast I can't believe it. I wish I could slow her down. 

• imageDolls2011:
    imagejaime52005:

This is our 6 week old. He has ridiculous head control and neck strength. I had a c section and didn't get to see him until 3 hours after he was born and I am not kidding when I tell you that at 3 hours old he was lifing his head up while on my chest. But we try to do tummy time after he eats. Mostly because it's fun to watch. Our pedi said to leave him down for as long a he will tolerate it.

This is just like our LO and he has been like that since Day 1. We noticed the strength he had in his neck since the day he was born. While laying on our chests, he would move his head back and forth and lift his head up for quite a few seconds. I thought it was unusual but I was pleased with it as well because it just meant he was strong!

The thing that makes me laugh is how he flails himself around. He's been doing that since he was born too. He lifts himself off of my or DH's chest and flails his upper body from one side to the other...always unexpectedly. We've gotten bonked in the head or shoulder several times because of this.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Both my kids have horrible neck/head control and hate tummy time.  DS was fine and DD seems to be almost exactly like him in many ways so I don't really worry about it and just wear her.
  • With my first she was four months before we could put her on her tummy without her screaming bloody murder. She was a late crawler at ten months but then was an early walker at 11.5 months so it didn't really affect her development.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"