February 2012 Moms
Options

Unsolicited Advice...

Wanna share any unsolicited advice that you've received lately...that you'd really just like to tell the person to STFU, throat punch them, or do something else?

I have a friend, bless her heart, I love her to death and she means well.  But I swear, if she tells me to rub whiskey on my teething son's gums one more time, I might have to tell her to STFU!  And I don't feel like I should have to justify my answer of "NO" to her.  We were talking and she asked how Ian was doing.  I told her he's been a whiny, fussing, teething mess.  I didn't ask for advice or remedies but she told me today, and has every other time he's been like this teething, to rub whiskey on his gums.  My answer every time has been no.  Today she wanted to argue with me when I told her no I wasn't doing it...she just kept questioning me...I just kept saying it's not going to happen.  I don't care that she chose to do it to her kids and that it "worked like a charm".  Good for you...I'M NOT DOING IT!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Unsolicited Advice...

• Options

Not too much that I can recall but I do have four aunts, three of them seem to think it is their life's mission to get the pacifier out of Allison's mouth.  The one who doesn't is the only one with grandkids if that tells you anything.  One of them will actually walk up while I'm holding Allison, yank the pacifier out and say "You aren't crying, you don't need this!"  EXCUSE ME????  She isn't crying because she HAS it and who the fluck are you to take anything away from my child?!?!

One more time, and I won't be able to keep my mouth shut.  I don't like her very much anyway so I wouldn't feel bad at all telling her off.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options

I'm getting the whiskey on the gums advice a lot lately. So over it. I don't care if your mother did it to you or you put it on your children's gums, I'm not going too. End of story. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I also agree with the paci.  My dad always takes it away from her.  I don't like her having it all the time but if I'm ok with her having it at that moment don't take it away from here.  I also get the whiskey for teething from my boss.  She says she's joking but I don't think she is. 

Also my boss is the queen of advice.  She has 2 kids that none of my coworkers like to be around because they are bossy, rude, and just unpleasant to be around.  They are mini's of their mom and she is annoying also.  She is always giving me advice on DD and SD.  She is always telling me I need to feed my kids more because they are so skinny.  She has a daughter that is about 6-8 months younger than SD and she is about twice the size of SD.  She said I need to let her eat more candy and sprite because it won't hurt her if she brushes her teeth.  Oh thanks, but I'll keep doing it like I am.  She is healthy and yes she is skinny but she is in gymnastics and she is very active in general.  Plus I want her to think candy and soda are treats, not expected.

And when DD was having all the ear infections I was told many times it's because she was formula fed. Nope, the ENT said it's because the tube in her ear was much tinier than they were suppose to be.  Tubes helped but we were told they wouldn't be a cure because of the size.  But thanks for making me feel horrible for giving her formula since I couldn't nurse.  My baby is pretty dang smart even though she was formula fed.  <eye roll>

Sorry that was longer than I thought.  I have issues with unsolicited advice!!! 

• Options
    imageStarbuck128:

Yep, from my brother. 

Quick back story...My mom always treated me like I was a complete fck up and hovered over me until I got pregnant, then she decided to back off. My younger brother noticed and decided this was a sign he needed to step up and guide me through life. He wrote me a letter when I was pregnant slamming me for making decisions without consulting my mom. (specifically it was about DH and I buying a dining room table and a stroller.) He said that because she wasn't helping me, "the duty now falls to me." Did I mention I'm 30 years old, been with DH 10 years, finished school, got a job, and we are in all ways completely independent?

So he thinks everything I do regarding Cody is the wrong thing to do, and isn't always shy about telling me that. He is upset we are getting our little boy a play kitchen because that is too girly.

Cody is getting better at mimicking sounds and my dad asked if he could say a word. I tried to get him to say something by starting out with him mimicking one syllable sounds and with the intention of working up to a two syllable word. Brother said to stop because I was just encouraging him to make annoying sounds that will irritate people and that  isn't how you get someone to talk. Like he has any experience with it, and as I recall, I was the person who taught him his first few words.  Grr!

How old is your brother? I am guessing he doesn't have kids yet?

Why would you need to consult your parents on a dining room table and stroller purchase? Although I do have a friend that is like that and would.  I don't get it, but I am also not close with my parents.

Tell him that there are more male Chefs than female Chefs! Our DS is getting a play kitchen for Christmas too. I like the one from IKEA, but I also saw these two today that I really like too:

https://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/grillin-grand-kitchen

https://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/brick-oven-pizza-kitchen

They're a little pricey though! Is there one you have in mind yet?

• Options
    danac...no need to apologize, that's why I started this thread!  I needed to vent and thought there were probably others in the same boat! :)

• Options
    imageStarbuck128:
    imageShawnee11507:

Why would you need to consult your parents on a dining room table and stroller purchase? Although I do have a friend that is like that and would.&nbsp; I don't get it, but I am also not close with my parents.

Tell him that there are more male Chefs than female Chefs! Our DS is getting a play kitchen for Christmas too. I like the one from IKEA, but I also saw these two today that I really like too:

He's 27 and no kids.

We are going with the Ikea one because it fits the narrow space we have set aside for his kitchen. I also like My Creative Cookery from Educo because it comes with pots, utensils and food. Camelcamelcamel says Amazon sometimes sells it for around $80.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

https://www.amazon.com/Educo-My-Creative-Cookery-Club/dp/B000A6L6WK/ref=pd_sim_t_4

How much is the IKEA one? We keep meaning to go look at what they have.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    imageMollySm:
    imageStarbuck128:
    imageShawnee11507:

Why would you need to consult your parents on a dining room table and stroller purchase? Although I do have a friend that is like that and would.  I don't get it, but I am also not close with my parents.

He's 27 and no kids.

We are going with the Ikea one because it fits the narrow space we have set aside for his kitchen. I also like My Creative Cookery from Educo because it comes with pots, utensils and food. Camelcamelcamel says Amazon sometimes sells it for around $80. 

https://www.amazon.com/Educo-My-Creative-Cookery-Club/dp/B000A6L6WK/ref=pd_sim_t_4

How much is the IKEA one? We keep meaning to go look at what they have.

It's $99. They also sell a bunch of felt food and utensils, etc. for a couple of dollars a pack.

• Options
    imageRNmama12:
    I decided to take DS to the ER on Sunday because he had a serious cough and was gasping in between coughs. I had plans with my friend to go to the zoo, but obviously I cancelled that.nbsp; She asked where I was taking him and I said I was taking him to the ER at the hospital where I work.nbsp; She was having a fit saying I should take him to a local urgent care because it would be faster.nbsp; I knew I would get fast tracked in the ER since I work there and she kept arguing how much better urgent care is.nbsp; She has no kids and it was driving me nuts that she felt like she knew what was best for my son.nbsp; I wanted him to be seen by a pediatrician that I trust, not some random PA/NP in the urgent care center.nbsp; We were in and out of the ER within 45 minutes and a pedi I know and trust came to the ER to see him. I knew I was doing the best thing for my son and for our situation, and my friend was grating my nerves big time.

Wow that sounds REALLY annoying.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"