October 2012 Moms
Options

BLW anyone?

Just started L on BLW and was wondering how it was going for other mommas.  So far he seems to love it with the foods we have tried.  He really likes bananas and today we started steamed broccoli -- though not much of either was swallowed.  I'm still just doing one new food a day to check for allergies and wanted to see what foods you have tried and if any of them were especially easy for BLW.  I like that banana and broccoli are easy for him to grasp.  I think avocado is next.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BLW anyone?

• Options

We've done:

*Avocado

*Pineapple

*Pear

*Green Beans

*Broccoli

*Carrots

*Scrambled Eggs

*Pancakes

*Waffles

*Toast

*Sausage

*Oatmeal (regular, with applesauce mixed in, not baby oatmeal)

So far, so good. She's getting better at actually eating instead of just gumming it and dropping it. We also offer a sippy of water so she has something to wash it down.

• Options
    We have been doing it for about a month with dd and it is going great. In true BLW fashion we completely skipped all cereals and purees.

So far we have offered tons of fruits, vegetables, meats, and grains. I have been surprised by what goes over well and what does not.

Favorites have included asparagus, toast strips, lamb chops, steak strips, chicken, hamburger, lemon, raw onion weird I know but she loves it and eats chunks of raw onion!, pasta, apples, and carrots, and strawberries.

She has not liked banana, avocado, and squash although I continue to offer these foods often. I think she does not like the squishy texture.

I have not bothered to wait between new foods. I just am not too worried about allergies and I like giving her variety at every meal so she can play with different shapes and textures.

This method of feeding has been so much fun. She eats whatever we eat and it has been so easy and fun. Once she was showing interest in food we just started offering and she has been eating and playing 3 meals a day ever since.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes!

We have tried:

Avocado (not a big fan, hard to hold on to)

Banana (likes)

Cheese Quesadilla

Mango (LOVES, but hard to hold onto so I put it into a mesh feeder)

Pancake

Butternut Squash (likes)

Broccoli (eh, but easy to hold)

Carrots (likes)

Apples

Applesauce (I put it on a spoon and give him the spoon)

Pork Chop

Asparagus (likes, easy to hold) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • Options

We are doing BLW.  LO has been interested in food since he was 5 days old, it was ridiculous.  We initially did purees beginning around 4 months.  We have no allergies in our families so once we made it through about 10 different foods we stopped waiting to introduce new ones.

He literally eats what we eat.  Things that might be too salty or spicy we omit.  But for the most part we cut things to size for him to pick up and he gums the heck out of it.  He absolutely loves toast, waffles, eggs, pasta, cheese, steak & chicken.  He actually sucks his spaghetti up Lady & the Tramp style. Adorable.

He does swallow a fair amount of food and it has decreased his formula intake.  This is kind of nice because he eats Enfamil AR which is pretty pricey.  He still gets the recommended amount of formula but he has a hearty appetite (he's 20lbs) and the real food does seem to satiate him better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I had anxiety over choking in the beginning but the longer we have been doing it the more and more confident I get in her ability to handle solids. She has gagged several times and in the beginning this made me nervous but now I can relax and I realize it is just part if the process. Gagging never seams to bother her so I don't let it bother me anymore.

In the beginning most was ending up on the floor but now she is really getting the hang of it. Interesting diapers are proof! :
  • Options

Ok forgive me for this sounding silly, but I don't eat greenbeans so it's just for lack of experience. Are you guys giving them canned green beans? Or frozen green beans? It seems like they would be too short for them to hold onto. The BLW I've been doing is bigger slices of fruits/veggies.

In answer to OP, we've done a combo of both puree and BLW. Puree she's had I think all of Gerber Stage one besides Prunes. Haven't needed them and the very thought of me smelling pureed prunes without needed it makes me want to vomit.

We've done in true BLW format:

Toast, pancake, canteloupe, banana, avocado, , brocolli, carrots.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehboo2011:
    Ok forgive me for this sounding silly, but I don't eat greenbeans so it's just for lack of experience. Are you guys giving them canned green beans? Or frozen green beans? It seems like they would be too short for them to hold onto. The BLW I've been doing is bigger slices of fruits/veggies.

We have done steamed fresh green beans. They are very long so she has no problem holding on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great ideas, ladies!  This is going to be fun!
  • Options
    I would use fresh green beans and steam them.
  • Options
    So far, we've done avocado, banana and pear. She liked all three. Banana skin may be her fav, though. We're only doing it on the weekends right now so haven't done a ton. I wanted to try broccoli yesterday but H was OOT and didn't want to miss a new food.
    Lucy: October 2012 
  • Options
    imagenumberonemama:
    I would use fresh green beans and steam them.

This.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"