October 2011 Moms
Options

Hitting

Any other LOs hitting? H thinks it is hilarious to hit me in the face. She will look right at me with a smirk and smack me. Obviously I can't do a timeout, but I have been telling her no and moving her away from me.
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hitting

• Options
    Yes, it is the age.  They get attention for doing it so they keep doing it.  I say "ow" when she hits and put her on the floor and walk away.   It has gotten a lot better. 
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    What has helped for us is to say no when he hits and then make him give a nice touch, so a pet or a nice pat. It hasn't totally stopped him from hitting, but he will usually hit an object when he is frustrated instead of a person. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Usually when she does it its an accident so I stop and say Ow! that hurt Mommy, can you say you're sorry and kiss Mommys boo boo. E wasn't quite as communicative and he hit on purpose so I would put him down and do a loud fake cry and tell him it hurt. If he attempted something apologetic like a hug I would say Thank you for saying sorry. If he didnt I just told him I didn't want to play until he apologized. At this age they're testing reactions so you want to make sure whatever consequence happens is negative and immediate. The fake crying really got to E I think because he understood the emotion.
  • Options
    Gavin just started hitting this week. He does it when he's mad at us and he makes a grunt noise while he punches us. I figured it was normal, but I hope we can stop it soon.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes. It is ridiculous.
  • Options
    We are hitting over here! And throwing, and yelling. Ugh. My DD never did this crap. It's beyond exhausting. I tell him "NO!" then I make him pick up whatever it was that he threw. If he doesn't pick it up (he is one stubborn little boy), he goes into time out. It's been working so far. For hitting he usually stops with a warning, but if he keeps going, then he's in time out for that too. 
  • Options
    DD will hit, pinch, bite, throw things. I just try to say "no hit, bite,etc." and ask her to say "sorry". Sometimes, the result is what I want, other times, I just get another slap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS hits occasionally. Sometimes when he's mad, or sometimes because he thinks its funny. We usually say "No. Hitting is not nice." and then show him how to do a gentle touch instead. If he listens and gives a gentle touch we praise him. If he hits again we let him know that we do not hit, and then walk away and don't give him attention for a minute or two. I think it's working because he's been hitting way less, but who knows.
  • Options
    imagekagl08:
    We are hitting over here! And throwing, and yelling. Ugh. My DD never did this crap. It's beyond exhausting. I tell him "NO!" then I make him pick up whatever it was that he threw. If he doesn't pick it up he is one stubborn little boy, he goes into time out. It's been working so far. For hitting he usually stops with a warning, but if he keeps going, then he's in time out for that too.nbsp;

How does a timeout work? Anytime I sit her away from me she immediately gets up and comes over to me
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageleahandbuck:
    imagekagl08:
    We are hitting over here! And throwing, and yelling. Ugh. My DD never did this crap. It's beyond exhausting. I tell him "NO!" then I make him pick up whatever it was that he threw. If he doesn't pick it up he is one stubborn little boy, he goes into time out. It's been working so far. For hitting he usually stops with a warning, but if he keeps going, then he's in time out for that too.nbsp;
    How does a timeout work? Anytime I sit her away from me she immediately gets up and comes over to me

It's a lot of work at 1st, but it really pays off IMO. At 1st, yes, they do keep getting up every 2 seconds. You just have to keep putting them back and saying "you are in time out." It took a few times for him to catch on, but now he knows when he's in time out he's in time out. I make him sit for a minute.

I did the same with my DD and now she's awesome with time outs. We don't do them often, but when we do the kids know I mean business. Consistency is key IMO.  

• Options
    imagekagl08:

It's a lot of work at 1st, but it really pays off IMO. At 1st, yes, they do keep getting up every 2 seconds. You just have to keep putting them back and saying "you are in time out." It took a few times for him to catch on, but now he knows when he's in time out he's in time out. I make him sit for a minute. I did the same with my DD and now she's awesome with time outs. We don't do them often, but when we do the kids know I mean business. Consistency is key IMO. nbsp;

Definitely this. I don't start time outs this young but I think at this point some of them can definitely understand and respond well. They don't quite get it when you first start but if you mean business they catch on quick. Don't give them any attention other than repeating they're in time out and to stay there until Mom comes to get them. If they have a tantrum ignore it and when they're done try again.
  • Options

We mostly do what others have said...telling her "we don't hit people, it hurts them and I don't want to play with you if you hit me" and then walking away. After about a minute or two, I tell her again not to hit people, it hurts them and then we also emphasize "gentle touch/do nice/etc."

DD bites too, and for biting she gets a one minute time out. The biting seems to be getting better.  Now if she tries it, I say "if you bite, you are going to time out" and she stops. I used to put her down and walk away for biting, and she would chase me around with her mouth open like a little piranha!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I responded to someone on toddlers about this recently (they were hitting their child back! duh!)

This is working for us:

Your kid is connecting cause and effect. Tell him that hitting hurts and show him your sad face. If he tries again, block him and tell him that you won't let him hit you because hitting hurts. Remind him to be gentle and move on. All this should be done in a calm voice. By freaking out you're telling him that hitting gets a lot of attention from you.

Focus on teaching him empathy rather than obedience. 

• Options

imagethetheisens:
    What has helped for us is to say no when he hits and then make him give a nice touch, so a pet or a nice pat. It hasn't totally stopped him from hitting, but he will usually hit an object when he is frustrated instead of a person. 

We went through a HUGE hitting phase at 11 months.  This is what we did and it seemed to work.  We call it "gentle touch" and it usually involves stroking the cheek or arm or wherever he hit.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"